PDA

View Full Version : Problems with one handed backhand

sir_shanks_alot
12-28-2009, 12:46 PM
From the backhand side, I tend to hit down the line shots high and cross court shots low. From the forehand side its less noticable.

Ideas?

Blake0
12-28-2009, 01:01 PM
So on your 1hbh, you have a high net clearance when you go dtl, but cc your net clearance is lower? Sounds like you're going up on the ball alot to hit dtl, and hitting through the ball more to go cc.

sir_shanks_alot
12-28-2009, 01:15 PM
My feeling is that the racquet face is a little open early in the swing and closes later. I don't think the path is any different.

Hmm... The racquet/arm "L" is closer to 90 early in the swing and widens later. I'm sort of whipping the head toward the ball it seems.

sir_shanks_alot
12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm pronating and the angle is opening at the same time. I feel like I get more power this way, but its causing inconsistency.

sir_shanks_alot
12-28-2009, 01:21 PM
In the finish, my racquet is more horizontal than I think it should be. The buttcap is pointing toward my body instead of at the ground ...where it should be?

Sorry for the multiple posts.

paulfreda
12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
.......Where it should be ?

There are very few absolutes in tennis technique.
You seem to be holding on to one set of ideas about how to hit a BH.
Open up your mind and look for and try other other techniques.
You can pronate or suppinate with a FH, BH or Serve.
There are numerous different grips and each varies technique.
Then you can hit from several different stances.

Back to your problem .........
What grip are you using ?
What stance are you hitting this BH from; closed, neutral, semi open or open ?

Zachol82
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
You're stepping through dtl shots differently than you do for cc shots with your 1hbh.

Your dtl backhand should...and your cc backhand...

bahh what am I thinking I can't describe what I'm trying to say here in words. I'll record a video or something later.

sir_shanks_alot
12-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm using an eastern grip - index knuckle on 1, heel on 7/8. My stance is closed mostly. Maybe more open for XC, but not more than perpendicular to the net. I have some video. Give me a little bit...

sir_shanks_alot
12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQE6-QYIiPw

Blake0
12-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQE6-QYIiPw

Did all of those go somewhat cross court..? it seems like you're hitting extremely flat..you're not getting under the ball, thats why you don't get much net clearance. Also you can see your wrist release through the ball, especially on the first shot

Blake0
12-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Here are a couple things you could work on.
1. Staying perpendicular to the net till you finish the shot..you open up too early. To help you with this use your left arm and let it swing back as you swing forward to the ball with the racket hand, to act as a counterbalance for the shot.

The other things you can work on is pretty much explained in this video. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xstf#p/g/u/u/1/vq3Pi1KIkT8

Ripper014
12-28-2009, 09:35 PM
You are hitting across the ball... making it a ball that is flat and with sidespin... try doing basically the same stroke... but concentrate on hitting the ball from low to high. Your follow-through should be higher... well above your shoulder... if you look at the video it is extremely low... shoulder height at most.

You racket face is in a good position at impact... and you do hit through the ball... there is a lot of good stuff there... You do stand pretty upright but the ball is high at impact.

Oh and one last thing I would suggest you to do is try and maintain a 90 degree position between your racket and forearm.

paulfreda
12-28-2009, 10:48 PM
From the backhand side, I tend to hit down the line shots high and cross court shots low. From the forehand side its less noticable.
Ideas?

Good video of your technique.
All those balls coming to you seem to be a bit high.

You do suppinate thru/after the shot [closing the face] and that is likley the problem.
A CC shot goes a much longer distance and your closing of the face will bring it down to the net .....
especially if you hit it out front a little more to get to the left side of the ball so it will go CC.

Solution; be a bit more open with the face coming thru the ball when hitting CC.
You are open in the backswing already. Just delay the suppination a bit. Its timing.

Other suggestion above to add more low to high to the motion to get topspin is also a good idea to investigate.

Let us know if you fix the problem

sir_shanks_alot
12-29-2009, 06:18 AM
The (flat) swings I posted were what was giving me the best results. I did notice there was sidespin on balls hit DTL or inside out. The ones XC were flat or had some topspin. I think these in the video were just back down the middle.

* When I try to swing more low to high (racquet head and arm), I have a problem controlling the face unless I swing very slowly. It also doesn't feel like I'm hitting through the ball.

* When I do it swinging faster (and low to high) there is a LOT of supination that comes naturally through contact and I either hit with a very open face or very closed face. The results are, um... unacceptable. ;)

The feeling when I try to increase the speed is that I'm slinging the racquet head at the ball. Obviously that isn't working so well.

How do you maintain the right angle (racquet/arm) when the speed of the racquet is pulling the racquet head away? This is very natural on my forehand, but I've worked at it 5 years. I could never fix this on the 1H BH so I've used a 2H for the last 4.

-----------------

paulfreda's response was what I wanted to hear, supinate later. I feel a bit like that's a bandaid solution though.

moving the racquet lower to higher and finishing higher makes sense but I feel like this takes away so much power. i have to do it much slower to have control. does that make sense?

sir_shanks_alot
12-29-2009, 07:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnFZCtkBX0

His followthrough is higher and there's more lifting. (His stance is also pretty open in the first two swings.) I'm slinging the head forward instead of lifting and maintaining the "L" through the ball, right?

The last swing is what I need to work on, correct? (low to high) He is moving forward which will give him a little more power.

I think the feeling I need is like I'm waiting for the ball to compress as I'm lifting, instead of slinging the head forward. This will be a hard habit to break. Will it be easier using an open stance?

Kostas
12-29-2009, 08:21 AM
It's tough to tell from your video but my guess would be that your likely trying to "time" you DTL shots by simply hitting the ball later (more into your body than out in front of you). At least that's what it looks like.

Given your swing path if your taking the ball less out in front to go DTL then your racquet is likely to be more open than it should be. When going cross court your hitting the ball at the appropriate point of contact (in front of you) and making better contact.

The trick (for me at least) to hitting DTL is to get more of a body turn (footwork) and more shoulder rotation.

My first backhand and my backhand at :17 in this video are down the line and I have nice clearance and good pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YN8X_tsyVw

Ripper014
12-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Ok.. let me try again... you tend to hit around your body in an arc, meaning that for you it is all about timing the ball perfectly. I would suggest you try and keep your racket square to your target for as long as possible... rather than hitting around your body... hit out to your target.

Keep your shoulders square to your target for as long as you can... following through from low to high for a topspin backhand.

What you do now is open your shoulders on impact trying to generate power... you pull the ball across your body making it hard to time. It also promotes hitting sidespin/flatter shot. By swinging in an arc it all comes down to timing... if you are early you go crosscourt... and late down the line. Swinging with your shoulders square to your target will keep your shots on line.

sir_shanks_alot
12-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Ok, I got it now. Thanks for the posts from everyone. I'll make/post an updated video as soon as its above negative 50 degrees, lol.