PDA

View Full Version : My game to cmment or critique (video)

AsgerHO
12-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Just thought Iīd make a video containing all parts of my game.
There is a bit of everything, besides the serve, as I simply forgot to put it in.

http://www.vimeo.com/8427520

Please feel free to comment or critique - you can always better some aspects of your game

I apologize for the bad mix of music (or choice if you want)

ms87
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I have some bad news for you.

The vast majority of people on this forum are below your level (myself included) and are not really capable of critiquing your game. :)
Your stroke fundamentals are all sound. The only thing I MIGHT find fault with is your movement - namely, your stride length - but you are not really trying here since it's just a groundstroke rally. I'm sure you move better when it matters.

Jonnyf
12-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Great video mate, I actually adore your fh.

sruckauf
12-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Great strokes man. You look like you have very natural balance and move through your shots with confidence. Good preparation and solid return of serves.. real nice stuff.

What's your current racquet and string setup?

One thing I might recommend when you're editing your videos for posting on here for comment.. is periodically drop in some "this is me" text, or "I'm the guy in the white shirt in this exchange". I sometimes couldn't tell which one your were.

Cheers.

AsgerHO
12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Great strokes man. You look like you have very natural balance and move through your shots with confidence. Good preparation and solid return of serves.. real nice stuff.

What's your current racquet and string setup?

One thing I might recommend when you're editing your videos for posting on here for comment.. is periodically drop in some "this is me" text, or "I'm the guy in the white shirt in this exchange". I sometimes couldn't tell which one your were.

Cheers.

Thanks man, appereciate it.

Yeah I see, I absolutely forgot about the fact that other people might not were able to tell who is who. Sorry about that.

Iīm using HEAD Microgel Radical Pro with a complete Topspin Cyberflash 1.25mm setup, strung at around 24.5 kgs.
I used Signum Pro PP 1.28mm for around a year, maybe a year and a half, and was pretty satisfied with it. But before that I used CF as well, and needed some new inspiration, so went back to it - and Iīm not complaining. By far my favorite string :)

Jaewonnie
12-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I think you'll end up critiqueing our games instead :)

Zachol82
12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
There is a bit of everything, besides the serve, as I simply forgot to put it in.

Please feel free to comment or critique - you can always better some aspects of your game

Forehand: Great by the way!
I'm not sure if you were doing this on purpose but at the beginning of your video, you hit the ball as it's coming toward the ground. As your forehand progresses, you start hitting the ball at the apex of its bounce, the highest point the ball will bounce to, which is great, you can really see an increase in pace there! As the video progresses even further, it seems as if you're getting too close to the ball.

Notice at the beginning, your contact point with the ball was well below your waist. Your contact point with the ball eventually got as high as up to your shoulders. You could just be doing this on purpose to illustrate a point or something, but I'm not sure so I'm just putting it out there.

The most consistent method of hitting a Tennis ball is to hit it when it is at your waist or even above it just a little. Your swing-path goes from low to high, creating natural topspin which brings the ball down to the court. Hitting the ball when it's at your shoulder height is a high to low swing-path and can be very affective and fast, however it tends to be less consistent.

Volleys:
Your volleys can be improved. At that distant from the net, there should be no reasons for your racket head to drop below your waist on a volley. Is the ball dippping down too quickly? Step forward, into the ball even more so you wont have to drop your racket head. Volleying is quick, dropping your racket head not only causes you to hit the ball up, asking for your opponent to demonstrate his overhead, it is also wasted movement, energy and increases the time it takes for you to recover from the shot.

Backhand
I like it!

Overheads
Bend your knees so you can load on your lower body and explode into the shot :]

Note
I'm pointing out your flaws here since I see that you still have room for improvement. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I can best you. I sure as hell will put up a good fight but I play doubles and I'm always up at the net volleying away, I'm not sure how I'll fair in singles, let alone not having the chance to start at the net :[

ocdavep
12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
video is great. i'll be the off topic guy. soundtrack of this video is AMAZING!

Geezer Guy
12-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Nice strokes bud. And good matchplay as well. You did a good job switching from defense to offense and closing the net.

TennisPassion5
12-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Great forehand, I think your backhand is certainly setting you back though. I can't see why you wouldn't be a fairly successful Future's player if the backhand was more solid. I think it just needs to be simplified and made as easy as possible. Kinda hard to explain, but fluidity is the key. Just a simple backswing, drop the racket, and hit through it. Btw...what's the name of the first song in the video haha? I love it

psYcon
12-28-2009, 05:51 PM
great vid. I would say you're definitely 6.0+

Yaz
12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Nice video man - actually liked the soundtrack, esp the first track. Sounded like some kind of medley of Bronski Beat, one of my favorite 80s bands (along with my screen name of course -dating myself here :wink:).

By the way - great tennis - you're a very skilled and fundamentally sound player. Good luck.

mtommer
12-28-2009, 07:13 PM
I have some bad news for you.

The vast majority of people on this forum are below your level (myself included) and are not really capable of critiquing your game.

No, no, no...you can't tell how good a player might be by their strokes. This guy could be a 3.5 or 4.5 for all we know. Results, results is the only thing that matters.

Now back to reality... :D

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-28-2009, 07:14 PM
You're doing better in matchplay than in practice. lol You were getting spanked in the baseline points section. But it wasn't because of unforced errors, the other guy just got the first strike in and moved the ball around to keep you on defense. Thank God we have first serves to keep that from happening to us consistently on our serves huh?

Also, if you looked at the racket and the way he hit the forehand, it was pretty easy to tell who he was. Also, the camera favored certain people in it's view, so it wasn't hard to detect who the OP was.

fruitytennis1
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Dig into the bh more(i really have no idea how to explain that better)
Pretty solid game overall though.

AsgerHO
12-29-2009, 04:36 AM
Great forehand, I think your backhand is certainly setting you back though. I can't see why you wouldn't be a fairly successful Future's player if the backhand was more solid. I think it just needs to be simplified and made as easy as possible. Kinda hard to explain, but fluidity is the key. Just a simple backswing, drop the racket, and hit through it. Btw...what's the name of the first song in the video haha? I love it

Thanks for all the comments guys.
There is absolutely no doubt about the fact that my backhand is my weakest shot. It frustrates me a lot, because if it was more solid, I would be a more solid player. So itīs definitely setting me back. Iīm working on it as much as I can, but itīs so hard to change habits. But I hope, eventually, that Iīll improve it by making it simpler. Sometimes it works okay, but it can absolutely fall apart, especially when I get nervous, and are kinda holding back. I donīt need a killer backhand, just a consistant one to keep the ball in play, and then use my forehand to control with.

About the song. I didnīt have any clue about what to choose, so I just picked something.
The first song is called "Tell me why" by Supermode
The other ones are called "Float On", "Call On Me" by Eric Prydtz and "Donīt Hold Back" by the Potbelleez (probably misspelled)

TennisPassion5
12-29-2009, 11:17 AM
About your playing, are you on the level of a Future's player? LOL I have no idea how good they are besides from viewing footage of Clint, but it seems that you certainly are close.

keepurpowderdry
12-29-2009, 11:53 AM
video is great. i'll be the off topic guy. soundtrack of this video is AMAZING!
In the first song The group is Bronski Beat , The song is "small town boy" Loved it !
Remindes me of the first girls I kissed how magical it felt .. why can't it feel that way when where older lol... :( whatever ...

I like your tennis man op !

TennisPassion5
01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
AsgerHO, I have 2 Microgel Prestiges in 4 3/8. Email me at snmvp13@yahoo.com to talk further.

Pancho G
01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
great looking strokes and the music is very nice. The scenery is good too! Where are you playing? Oopps, I see it's Denmark!!

W Cats
01-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Strokes look solid and good foot work with ground strokes especially that forehand, wow. A couple of little stuff IMO. On a few low volleys to the BH side would like to see wider stance to get low. You bend at the ankles , knees, and waist well but a wider stance will lead to more balance and moving into those particular shots better. Overheads during warm-ups being a little more active with the feet might allow you to stay side ways a little longer and give you more options, you open up a little soon for my taste. Dont't know if this led to your shanked overhead during the rally, actually I don't even know if that was you.

linkster3o3
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Great video.. Forehand, and Volleys look solid.. what level would you say you are?

UnforcedError
01-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.
There is absolutely no doubt about the fact that my backhand is my weakest shot. It frustrates me a lot, because if it was more solid, I would be a more solid player. So itīs definitely setting me back. Iīm working on it as much as I can, but itīs so hard to change habits. But I hope, eventually, that Iīll improve it by making it simpler. Sometimes it works okay, but it can absolutely fall apart, especially when I get nervous, and are kinda holding back. I donīt need a killer backhand, just a consistant one to keep the ball in play, and then use my forehand to control with.

Awesome video. I'm not really qualified to offer any advice but it looked to me like your racket face on your backhand was a little too open. Perhaps closing it more will allow a little more spin and give you a more consistent rally shot until you can get your forehand on the ball. At the video speed it is hard to see what was going on during the swing but at least on the takeback it looks a little open. Great game overall, I'm really interested to read what some of the coaches on here have to say.

Tina
01-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Nice Video and Music! I just learned the terminology for tennis in your video. Well done!

Solat
01-06-2010, 11:22 PM
nice vid to watch, your op in the indoor matchplay was taking the returns so early, great to see

as far as critiquing goes, I'm sure as you would know playing that decent level of tennis its about what isn't working in your matches. There aren't glaring technical hitches but there may be technical flaws in specific shot execution or tactical errors or fitness/movement liabilities that only you would know, we can't see from a video.

Where do you see your need for improvement?

AsgerHO
01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice, itīs really appreciated.

Well my need for improvement would definitaly be my backhand. Itīs not like its a major setback, but making it more consistant would make it a whole lot easier for me in matches. Also my netgame needs improvement. I think I would say that is my absolute weakest point.
But itīs habit doing as I do in the volleys and I donīt really have any good methods changing it. My overall problem is that my seing is too big in volleys, often, and that I kinda want to "do too much" with the ball