PDA

View Full Version : Agassi taking a lesson from Sampras!

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
04-22-2005, 09:39 AM
This quotation by Sampras has been discussed on this board already:

"I regret that I never tried out a racquet with a bigger head at Roland Garros," he added.

"My racquet was almost like one of the old wooden ones - it was heavy and stiff. It took a lot of effort to make the ball move on clay.

"But I was really used to it and I never dared (change). I was too stubborn. I was scared of losing control, that it would take me too long to master it."

I think Agassi has taken a cue from Sampras and decided to use a different racquet for Roland Garros. Although Andre would be going to a smaller head-size, he would be switching to a racquet with more power (LM Instinct). Well done, Andre! Great athletes need to be stubborn, as Sampras was, to some degree, but to stay on top you have to adapt!

Bertchel Banks
04-22-2005, 11:51 AM
What?

Pete should've taken a cue from Andre, but then again, talent isn't learned.

For the record, Andre is the 1999 Roland Garros champion. Aside from that he has many final, semifinal and Quarterfinal appearances. Pete make one semifinal, and lost badly.

IMO, Andre is just looking for a little more firepower. Against Federer, what I think he needs is a bit more patience.

Lambsscroll
04-22-2005, 12:24 PM
I really dont think its the racquet when it comes to surfaces. Do you think Lendl would have done better on grass with a different racquet? Pete always had a stamina problem which is why I think clay was a problem for him.

If Agassi can control the extra power from the new racquet then why not use it for all surfaces?

Newby
04-22-2005, 12:28 PM
What? Andre switched to the LM Instinct?

johnmcc516
04-22-2005, 01:24 PM
What? Andre switched to the LM Instinct?

where have you been?? Yes. Check the boards for some pics of him using the instinct.

35ft6
04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I thought wooden rackets were flexible.

BDAZ
04-22-2005, 04:14 PM
if andre wants a little more juice on the ball, maybe he should switch back to the gut/kevlar string combo that he used. it seems (and this could be way off) that he doesn't get quite as much pace on the ball with the all luxilon job. maybe a gut/lux combo would be good.

Pro_Tour_630
04-22-2005, 04:47 PM
if andre wants a little more juice on the ball, maybe he should switch back to the gut/kevlar string combo that he used. it seems (and this could be way off) that he doesn't get quite as much pace on the ball with the all luxilon job. maybe a gut/lux combo would be good.

AMEN, if he needs more POP or zip he can switch to even all gut job, only spaniards and argintines know how to play with POLY on clay, agassi does not have that style of play, ala brugera muster guga etc... anyway for what it is worth read below

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=23613

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=23938

if he plays Instinct with full BB original, that is a big change from Pro Tour 280 OS kevlar/gut

big ted
04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
agassi's dad said in a interview that andre should switch to a midsized racquet to improve his serve mainly and possibly his volleys, mabye thats why he switched