PDA

View Full Version : I need help on my 2nd serve

NPham
12-28-2009, 03:59 PM
My first serve is a slice serve and it is good from my opinion but my 2nd serve is a slice serve too but a very weak one and I want it to be a kick serve. I doublefault a lot and I need tips.

NPham
12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I am also very nervous when I have to do a 2nd serve because I know I have a chance of missing it. I just want a 2nd good consistent serve

Zachol82
12-28-2009, 04:04 PM
If you want it to be a kick serve, let it be a kick serve!

NPham
12-28-2009, 04:08 PM
What do you mean the only tip for a kick serve is just brush up and i've been trying that. :/

Zachol82
12-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Oh, sorry I didn't know you were asking for advice on how to perform a kick serve.

My best advice would be google "how to kick serve" and youtube it for some videos. I have seen several kick serve videos and guides on the internet.

Oh, and being nervous happens. Just try to relax and swing through the ball with a full service motion. Being afraid to hit the ball usually results in abbreviated strokes, which in turn causes the ball to fly to undesirable areas, hopefully still in your court =X

Bring out a basket of balls and start serving. Just be patient with it and do this regularly. By the time you serve thousands of balls, you should be more comfortable even during a match.

LeeD
12-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Learn the topspin serve first, before the kick. The kick serve swing is radically different than a slice serve swing.
For the topspin serve, toss OVER your head, but into the court. Don't toss the ball out to your right, for a right hander, like a slice serve. Hit a couple hundred, and see you have to aim higher over the net, to allow for the arc of the ball.

fuzz nation
12-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Learning those other serves is up to you - a lesson or two with a competent teacher can save you some grief. As I see it, there are a lot more components to the serve than a typical ground stroke, so the trained eye and know-how of a good teacher should help you embrace good habits now instead of having to un-learn bad ones later.

In terms of your serving now, I've found in my personal experience, along with some high school coaching, that a good reliable service motion is much better maintained if you can hit a bucket of practice serves once a week. Without this frequency of practice, things can easily be a lot more rusty. You sound like you don't trust your motion, so unless you can clean it up with a lesson, it's important that you take the extra time to groove it on your own.

A good nugget of wisdom that someone once gave me was to make my first and second serves more similar to each other. With less heat or low percentage attempts on my first serves, more of them land. That alone takes a ton of pressure off my second ball just because I don't have to hit one as often. This "nugget" is also saying to go after the second serve with the same deliberate motion as with the first. Otherwise there's no racquet head speed to control the ball well with spin and reliably land it. If you're making an assertive move for your second serve and spinning the ball, you're doing a better job of "telling" it where to go instead of "asking" it like what happens with a half-hearted delivery. You're not looking for an ace, just spinning it and dropping it in the middle of the box. Easy day.

darthpwner
12-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Arch your back, toss further behind your head around 11 o clock for righties, 1 o clock for lefties, and brush up sharply.

hyperthom007
12-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Remember it is not about the brushing only... You have to in a way press the ball down to the other court. Meaning you try to brush the ball at a smaller angle. Don't just brush it like in a 90 degrees. The ball will be quite hard to come down no matter how much spin you put in...