PDA

View Full Version : wilson us open balls

dyson
12-28-2009, 05:38 PM
found them on clearance at my local target store @ $1.99/can. just passing on the word. maybe your place has them on sale, maybe not, but it was too good to pass up on. snatched the last 6 cans.

mikeler
12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I would not accept money for those balls but many people like them for some reason.

JoelDali
12-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Ha.....they are actually very solid balls to be honest....I hate regular Wilson balls, but those are better for some odd reason...the felt seems heavier and plushier than regular Wilsons.

I like them. They're all over the place at Flushing Meadows outdoor courts and even the old ones seems playable.

getbusyliving
12-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Dude, Wilson AO balls are where its at.

armsty
12-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Second that mate. Switched from Slazenger just recently, lasts about twice as long.

mikeler
12-29-2009, 05:12 AM
Ha.....they are actually very solid balls to be honest....I hate regular Wilson balls, but those are better for some odd reason...the felt seems heavier and plushier than regular Wilsons.

I like them. They're all over the place at Flushing Meadows outdoor courts and even the old ones seems playable.

I've never seen a ball that plays so differently over a 3 set match. The warm-up and the first few games they are very bouncy. Then by the end of the 1st set they start to fuzz up. By the 3rd set, the bounce is gone and they are dead.

mikeler
12-29-2009, 05:12 AM

Played 1 tournament with these. Maybe they got a bad batch, but every can of balls opened were very flat.

The_Question
12-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the tip dyson, will have to check it out sometimes...

Blade0324
12-29-2009, 09:46 AM
I have to agree that I'm no longer a fan of these. They used to be my favorite ball but they have gone down in quality quite a bit lately. They used to have excellent bounce to them but now are very flat and hard feeling. Maybe they will come back up again but for now it's Penn ATP or Pro Penn for me.

JoelDali
12-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Agreed....Penn ATP FTW.

mikeler
12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
On a hard court, the Penn ATPs are fairly consistent over the course of a match. They lose a little steam in the third set, but not too much.

JoelDali
12-29-2009, 09:57 AM
They're plush and sturdy, don't lose alot of felt, they fluff out perfectly, sometimes a little too much in humid weather, but they are hands down one of the best quality ball.

phishua
12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't like them. They die too fast.

mikeler
12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
They're plush and sturdy, don't lose alot of felt, they fluff out perfectly, sometimes a little too much in humid weather, but they are hands down one of the best quality ball.

Agreed. The summertime humidity in Florida can make them heavier throughout a match.

Marshredder
12-29-2009, 10:22 AM
I dont like Wilson balls at all, I guess its because I've played with nothing other than Slazenger Wimbledon UltraVis since I was 8, and when I do play with Wilson, they just act that tiny bit different that puts me off, they're heavier and bounce lower I think.

Jaewonnie
12-29-2009, 10:47 AM
They're really nice when new, but die too soon. Only gripe. Otherwise they are fantastic.

The_Question
12-29-2009, 11:11 AM
they just act that tiny bit different that puts me off, they're heavier and bounce lower I think.

That's how I feel about Penn...

mikeler
12-29-2009, 11:47 AM
They're really nice when new, but die too soon. Only gripe. Otherwise they are fantastic.

The first tournament I played, I opened the can and thought these US Open balls were a perfect match for my heavy topspin game. By the middle of the first set, I knew I was going to struggle. A kick serve without kick equals a sitter!

dyson
12-30-2009, 11:27 AM
seems like it's a couple area target stores that have them on clearance. found another can on sale at a different location for 2.08/can.

mtommer
12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
found them on clearance at my local target store @ $1.99/can. just passing on the word. maybe your place has them on sale, maybe not, but it was too good to pass up on. snatched the last 6 cans.

The same thing happened to a Target by me. Target stores can order the Wilson US Open balls but don't stock them as a rule. However, every now and then an associate gets the order number mixed up because they don't know the difference (manual ordering happens far more often than people realize at big box stores). Anyway, the stores get the balls not realizing the mistake, they seldom sell, and then the mistake gets realized and quickly put on clearance.

Last year one of the two Targets here marked the Penn ATP balls at .65 cents a can; the price of one ball instead of the full can. I got almost two cases worth over the course of about two months at this price. They finally realized their mistake and corrected the rest of the cans, quit ordering more, and now only stock Penn and Wilson Championship balls.

I eagerly await the next mistake! :D

dyson
01-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Penn ATP at Target stores? Wow. I've never seen that, but tha would be nice. Especially at .65/can. And I thought 2.00/can for Wilson us open was a deal.

DownTheLine
01-02-2010, 07:47 AM
We use the USO balls for mainly all of are high school matches.
My favorite balls would have to be Prince Tour or Pro Penn ATP.

mtommer
01-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Penn ATP at Target stores? Wow. I've never seen that, but tha would be nice. Especially at .65/can. And I thought 2.00/can for Wilson us open was a deal.

Yeah I was lovin' it.

The interesting thing around here is that I do see the Penn ATP stocked, or used to anyway. Target, Meijer, and even Kmart were all stocking the Penn ATP balls, although usually in the four balls to a can variety. Kmart also stocked Dunlop Championship balls. Right now the Kmart's here are being shut down and Target has switched completely to the Championship Penn and Wilson which leaves only Meijer. The nice thing is that Meijer has always carried the US Open balls and the four ball ATP cans. Usually a couple of times a year they put their current inventory on clearance and I stock up. The nice thing is that the local tennis store here sells the balls to match Meijer pricing so it's a win/win wherever I go unless I want to stray from the US Open balls. The Prince Tour and Gamma Tour balls the shop stocks are slightly higher priced.

Hankenstein
01-03-2010, 06:26 AM
The US Open balls costs around 12 US $ for a 4 balls can here in Sweden,,,

The_Question
01-04-2010, 08:28 AM
The US Open balls costs around 12 US $ for a 4 balls can here in Sweden,,,

Wow, that's just jacked up!! :shock: