PDA

View Full Version : Serving - Weight on Feet?

Heroesque
12-28-2009, 05:50 PM
When you're in the trophy pose, which foot should the weight be on?
Should it be on the front foot, back foot, or a weight transfer from back to front before you jump and hit your serve?

I have all my weight on my front foot the whole time, so there's no weight transfer O_O I don't think this is right though.

tribunal4555
12-28-2009, 05:55 PM
I start out with the weight on my front foot as I begin my serve ritual (bouncing the ball 3 times, wiping my face, deep breath xD). After that, I shift my weight onto my back foot. As I toss the ball, I begin to shift the weight forward onto my front foot. At the moment that I release the ball, my weight is evenly distributed between my feet. As my racquet comes up into the trophy pose, my weight is more on my front foot; I then lift up and swing up to contact with the ball with my weight moving forward and carrying me into the court.

That's what I do. My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Heroesque
12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
I start out with the weight on my front foot as I begin my serve ritual (bouncing the ball 3 times, wiping my face, deep breath xD). After that, I shift my weight onto my back foot. As I toss the ball, I begin to shift the weight forward onto my front foot. At the moment that I release the ball, my weight is evenly distributed between my feet. As my racquet comes up into the trophy pose, my weight is more on my front foot; I then lift up and swing up to contact with the ball with my weight moving forward and carrying me into the court.

That was really helpful :)
But I have a pinpoint stance, so when I bring my backfoot forward, the weight inevitably falls onto my front foot.

When my feet are together, the ball is in the air, I'm about to jump, should the weight be equal or on my front foot?

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
But I have a pinpoint stance, so when I bring my backfoot forward, the weight inevitably falls onto my front foot.

When my feet are together, the ball is in the air, I'm about to jump, should the weight be equal or on my front foot?

... Stop over-complicating things.

Place ball in the air, then hit up and through it with spin.

Fyi, the pinpoint stance is for upward launch, the platform stance is for weight transfer. As such, the pinpoint stance will more likely force you to place almost even weight on both feet, though you should naturally favor a little more weight upon your front foot. The platform stance will heavily load up on one leg.

SystemicAnomaly
12-29-2009, 07:41 PM

Sounds pretty good. The weight is predominantly on the back foot on the "down phase" of the service motion -- typically the weight is on the back foot (or shifts to the back foot), when the arms drop in preparation for the ball toss. The weight shifts forward during the upward movement of the tossing arm -- for many servers the weight distribution will shift to even (more or less) during the toss while other servers will shift a bit more weight to the front foot.

Even with a pinpoint stance, the weight may be evenly distributed for a while. It is somewhat dependent on your own timing & implementation of the pinpoint serve. Many pinpoint servers will drive with both legs. However, since they launch themselves upward & forward, the back leg comes off the ground first -- this would indicate that more weight is on the front foot at this point in the motion. (Modern servers also land on the front foot first).