PDA

View Full Version : I can't handle deep balls

HunterST
12-28-2009, 09:24 PM
It's true. If they land maybe 2 feet from the baseline I start having trouble. I try to take the balls on the rise, but it leads to me almost trying to half volley the shots. I know a lot of times I have more time than I think/act (my instructor says so) and I know the balls are very getable. Should I back up from the baseline when the shots land deep?

Ripper014
12-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Nope... just take the ball off the rise... concentrate on a good stroke and making solid contact. As you get better you can be more aggressive with it.

Rui
12-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Hitting half volleys from the baseline is crazy. Stand back and let the ball bounce up into your optimum strike zone.

mordecai
12-28-2009, 11:58 PM
One thing that helps is to let your eyes jump ahead to the spot where the ball will land, and watch it come up off the ground at you. A lot of people who can't hit on the rise have this problem of not watching the ball when it bounces.

Bending your knees and getting a bit lower for these balls helps with control too.

MichaelChang
12-29-2009, 03:53 AM
Practise open-stance.

mawashi
12-29-2009, 04:07 AM
It's true. If they land maybe 2 feet from the baseline I start having trouble. I try to take the balls on the rise, but it leads to me almost trying to half volley the shots. I know a lot of times I have more time than I think/act (my instructor says so) and I know the balls are very getable. Should I back up from the baseline when the shots land deep?

That's cus you're not making room for yourself. Not everyone can own the baseline like Agassi.

Either move back n give yourself some room or make room by dancing around the ball.

mawashi

DNShade
12-29-2009, 04:10 AM
Hitting half volleys from the baseline is crazy.

Yeah...some "crazy" guy named Agassi half volleyed from the baseline his way to multiple Slam wins.

fuzz nation
12-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Those deeper balls are tougher for most players to really lean on. That's why it's important for a net-rusher to get that approach shot nice and deep. They can usually transition forward in better shape and expect a less aggressive ball from their opponent.

If you're standing almost on top of the baseline for typical rallies, you need to back up a step or two. Easier to move in to hit a shorter ball well than to retreat, pick the ball out of your socks, and still do something decent with it, right? Wherever you stand will probably need adjusting depending on your opponent, but usually it's smart to be giving the baseline a little breathing room.

One other thing to check with those deeper incoming balls is whether you're starting your swing on time. If your tempo is sort of synchronized with the bounce of the ball, a deeper shot will leave you catching up to hit on time, even if you're not trying to hit the ball on the rise. LOTS of players do this, trust me! Focus on rushing immediately to get yourself set up to swing so that you can be smoother through the ball whenever it shows up. As long as your preparation is done before it's time to swing, it will be easier to use a smooth tempo instead of catching up to the ball.

MakeSenseNotBabies
12-29-2009, 07:00 AM
i also can't handle balls deep....

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Thats what she said.

JoelDali
12-29-2009, 07:30 AM
O dear god what a horrible thread title.

http://geekswhodrink.com/blog/media/balls.jpg

HunterST
12-29-2009, 07:48 AM
O dear god what a horrible thread title.

http://geekswhodrink.com/blog/media/balls.jpg

Thanks a lot to those who have given advice. There's been a lot of helpful comments

To those who are 12 year old boys and are trying to make some sexual joke about the thread title, perhaps you need some basic sexual education. I mean if you think the "balls" are what "goes deep" you really must have a troubled sex life. Don't get me wrong, I love immature jokes as much as the next guy, but every sentence with the world "ball" is not a good candidate.

psYcon
12-29-2009, 08:21 AM
hunter , what you need to do is crouch a bit (get low) and make a horizontal motion to hit those deep balls. This will ensure you will hit the ball clearing it off the net relatively low.

Watch this video of Ben Inbar (Israeli pro tennis player), to see how he gets low and hits those deep balls. Watch at around 1:02
http://vimeo.com/1457332

Ripper014
12-29-2009, 08:22 AM
It is never a good idea to be moving backwards hitting a ball... hitting off the rise is not a problem for me... if you don't panic and treat it like any other shot... you will get comfortable with it as well. In the beginning don't try and do to much with it... just hit it over the middle of the court... have your weight moving forward... and concentrate on making a good swing... with good contact. YOU DO NOT NEED TO OVERHIT THE BALL... GOOD SMOOTH SWING (don't decelerate)... and GOOD CONTACT.

It is like picking up a grounder in baseball... the short hop is the easiest (you know the ball it not going anywhere, no bad bouces)... and hitting off the rise though not the easiest of shots... is nothing to be afraid of. And... actually Sir Connors... was the first I saw really employ the strategy of hitting off the rise consistantly, and he did it I believe to take time away from his opponents... making it seem he was hitting even harder than he was.

You can emulate hitting hard by just hitting the ball early and deep... if you take away time it is the same as hitting hard. If you can do both... then you will seem like you are hitting really hard.

And as mentioned... it helps to stay low through the ball...

Marshredder
12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Step back! Footwork is imo the biggest key to hitting good strokes, and taking a step or 2 back from the baseline to hit the ball when its at the top of the bounce and not on the rise makes the shot a lot easier.

Blake0
12-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Back up/hit it on the rise. Half volleying from the baseline is only used in extreme situations when you don't have time to move back or be able to get in position to hit on the rise.

JRstriker12
12-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah...some "crazy" guy named Agassi half volleyed from the baseline his way to multiple Slam wins.

Yeah and most rec players don't have 1/100th of the skill that Agassi had. so for most rec players, hitting half volleys from the baseline is crazy.

JRstriker12
12-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Being able to hit a deep ball is a weapon because it keep your opponent on thier back foot and keeps then from attacking.

Dealing with the deep ball is going to take good footwork and also being able to judge where you need to be to be effective in hitting that ball.

If the ball lands on the baseline or comes in high and kicks up, you are going to have to anticiapte this and take a few steps back to get the ball in your strike zone. Taking a few steps back doesn't always mean hitting off your back foot. If you move well and anticipate where the ball will be, you'll have time to move back but still set up and step into the ball.

If the ball lands deep, but maybe halfway between the baseline and service line you can probably just take it on the rise. Sounds easy, but it does take some practice and also footwork.

Bungalo Bill
12-29-2009, 10:50 AM
YOU DO NOT NEED TO OVERHIT THE BALL... GOOD SMOOTH SWING (don't decelerate)... and GOOD CONTACT.

Big time recommendation.

keepurpowderdry
12-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah I to think bending your knee's is a good start (for control) for the On the rise shot .

Also what a guy said here to recognize it early and move back to hit it in your strike zone. I am currently working on being aware of the deep shot and moving back to hit it in my strike zone and when i do it and I execute it I feel like a way better player ( great feeling to think ahead and then execute it !!)