PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Rexking 24, "R-24"

schap02
12-29-2009, 07:11 AM
So I posted on this several weeks ago and just wanted to provide a few updates.

Had a ton of trouble locating a stringing pattern for this racquet but when I finally did it revealed 16 x 18?

Strung it up (one piece) with Duraflex and when stringing I noticed it seemed like the pattern should've been 16 x 19 so that's how I strung it, the racquet has some shared holes anyways...

Decided to leave the original leather Yonex grip on and put a wilson pro overgrip in white.

I must say with fresh strings and an overgrip this racquet comes in at 9/10 condition.

Measured the weight = 360 grams, haven't tested swing weight yet and probably won't unless someone asks because it's just a "closet collector"

Will provide some pictures and analysis once I play with it for a little bit.

Anyone have any advice or feedback on this frame? I've heard late 80's production? It's light blue in color, reminds me of an old Navratilova frame?

retrowagen
12-29-2009, 09:05 AM
IIRC, it's the same mold as most of the concurrent mid-late 1980's Yonex midsized "Rexking" frames (i.e., R-7, R-10, R-22, R-27, R-18, R-23, etc.), and should have the same stringing pattern as one of the abovementioned, more commonly-seen frames.

They're all pretty good all-round frames, varying in composition and therefore flex, and thus slightly tailored for varying styles of play. On these pre-widebody Yonexes, as I understood it, typically (but not always, around 1985 a new generation of frames was introduced and thus "re-indexed" the system), the higher the number on the name, the stiffer the frame. The first gen included the R-7 and R-10; the R-10 was the stiffest, highest-end frame they offered up to 1985 or so. Then these were replaced by the models numbered higher (with a few exceptions, such as a new R-1 "Rexplay" composite, with the R-27 boron-graphite comp being the stiffest and most expensive (IIRC). I won't claim to be a Yonex expert by any means, but from what I could remember from the 80's when these were new, that's what I recall.

tennis005
12-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Here are the specs for the R-23. Not sure how similar they are but here you go.
Midsize Specs
Head Size:
90 sq. in. / 581 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 13.6oz / 386g
Balance: 8pts Head Light
Swingweight: 356
Stiffness: 57
Beam Width: 18.5 mm Straight Beam
Composition: Braided Graphite w/Silicon Carbide
Power Level: Low
Swing Speed: Fast
Grip Type: Leather
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 8T,8H
Two Piece
Shared Holes: 7T,9T,9H
String Tension: 55-65

Dave M
12-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Does the rexking bit mean anything?

schap02
12-29-2009, 04:43 PM

It just says Rexking 24 on the cover

tennis005
12-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Maybe it just means it the king of rackets?? IDK

schap02
12-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Maybe it just means it the king of rackets?? IDK

Racquet cover reads
"This Iso-Metric square signed for a larger and centered sweet spot. Integrated power weight system performs for amplification of moment of inertia"

I got this racquet for free and it looks awesome all strung up so I'm happy even without sufficient information about it's background.

I will try and post some photos and show you all the minor difference between the 16 x 19 and the 16 x 19

PBODY99
12-30-2009, 05:17 AM
King was the stiffest of the group. The only thing I would warn you of is the Yonnex mandate to string two piece with the crosses being 2 to 5 pounds less than the mains. The top of the hoop is not the strongest, which is why the reduction in cross string tension along wiht the crosses being shorter that a more oval frame.

schap02
12-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up
I strung one piece but did string crosses 3 lbs lighter.

We'll see how she plays.