PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Racquet Head Speed

Freestyle
12-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi guys,

I need some help with racquet head speed, especially on my backhand and a bit on my serve. When I am first warming up, I usually restrict my shots, and limit the speed I swing. This is most noticeable on my backhand, on which I restrict the followthrough, reducing it to a bunt-like stroke. This causes errors, which in turn makes me restrict even more. Today, I hit through an entire set netting backhands and double faulting on about a quarter of my serves (I lost 6-1) before I realized my problems were due to racquet head speed. Once I started to pick up the pace and swing freely, I started playing better (I won the second set 6-4 and the third set 6-3). My question is, are there any ways to generate some serious speed? I do grip the racquet rather tightly, because my palm hangs off the butt of the handle. Is there any way to shore it up so I can loosen my grip?

Thanks for reading through that mess.

chess9
12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
How strong is your posterior shoulder? Upper back, teres minor, lats? Also, is your takeback long enough? Are you leading with the buttcap on the backhand? Do you hit with your right foot foreward (closed stance) for righties? This is a one handed backhand, I assume?

What I would do is use the ball machine and start hitting some balls. I've hit 1,000 backhands that way, just grooving the stroke. Also, I've videotaped my swing when it starts going South on me. Once you see the film, recover from the terminal case of wincing, and start analyzing, you will figure it out.

Just some ideas. If BungaloBill comes online, he'll straighten you out.

-Robert

Freestyle
12-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My muscles are pretty strong, for a scrappy teenager like I am. I weightlift 4 times a week, once a week for footspeed, legs, trunk/abs, and upper extremities. My takeback is compact on the backhand. I hit with a closed or neutral stance, depending on the shot, and an open stance when stretched wide. This is a two hander (sorry for not specifying).

Thanks for the ball machine tip. I'll work on that.

Blake0
12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi guys,

I need some help with racquet head speed, especially on my backhand and a bit on my serve. When I am first warming up, I usually restrict my shots, and limit the speed I swing. This is most noticeable on my backhand, on which I restrict the followthrough, reducing it to a bunt-like stroke. This causes errors, which in turn makes me restrict even more. Today, I hit through an entire set netting backhands and double faulting on about a quarter of my serves (I lost 6-1) before I realized my problems were due to racquet head speed. Once I started to pick up the pace and swing freely, I started playing better (I won the second set 6-4 and the third set 6-3). My question is, are there any ways to generate some serious speed? I do grip the racquet rather tightly, because my palm hangs off the butt of the handle. Is there any way to shore it up so I can loosen my grip?

Thanks for reading through that mess.

For your serve, swing a couple times with your pinky hanging off. Thats how loose your grip should normally be when you serve.

Heres a couple ways to increase racket head speed.
1.) Loosen up. You're muscles won't be tensed up.
2.) Bigger backswing. You gain more momentum, but if you have a hitch in your backswing, you could loose swing speed.
3.) Shadow swing. Shadow swing for 5-10 mins a day with your racket (preferably with a unstrung or lighter racket) and swing freely. Swing fast, but not so fast that you loose your technique. This helps your body get used to swinging faster.
4.) Use you're whole body to swing. Obviously you'll be able to swing faster on the forehand if you use your shoulder,hips, legs in the stroke. Same principle on backhand/serve.
5.) Work out. Strengthen core muscles. Specific tennis workouts are necessary to see some significant improvement. I don't really know any specific tennis related workouts, but you could search online or i'm pretty sure some people here do. Basically, too much bulking up isn't good, it'll slow you down and be counterproductive.

rk_sports
12-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Interesting topic..

I've always wondered, 'high racquet swing speed' is the defining difference in top levels (say over 4.5) to regulars (3.5's)..
Also think, some ppl just have a robotic arm while others dont (and those may've to develop something closer)..

What Blake0 said, seems interesting and I will try them.
Will be interesting to know drills or exercises (Pt# 5) to specifically develop or increase the 'racquet swing speed'

ManuGinobili
12-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Will be interesting to know drills or exercises (Pt# 5) to specifically develop or increase the 'racquet swing speed'

Nunchucks drills :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QHslHpK4-Q

Blake0
12-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Nunchucks drills :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QHslHpK4-Q

Nice LOL. The last 2 shots looked kind of like forehands, the third last one maybe a smash? :)

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-30-2009, 12:17 AM
1) Loosen up.
2) Try to swing without using any effort. Use 50% of your maximum racket head speed but focus on clean contact and accelerating through contact (so a steady and constant acceleration instead of one massive one).
3) Move up to 80% racket head speed while using the same concept (steady but constant acceleration with a relaxed arm).
4) Move up to 100% racket head speed if you want, though I don't recommend it except perhaps on second serves.

LeeD
12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Loosen up for sure.
Try shadow swinging, looking at a mirror or your shadow if they're sunlight outdoors (5 days a week here in Berkeley). LISTEN to the "WHOOSH" of your rackethead, the higher the sound, the faster the speed.
Spend 20 minutes a day, 5 on forehands, 5 on backhands, 5 on first flat serves, and 5 on sliced/topped second serve swings. You will find a much faster swingspeed after a couple days, now try getting the ball to stay in.
Don't let the pressure of a MATCH slow down your swing. It's supposed to be FUN, and FUN is hitting the ball, not guideing it.

aimr75
12-30-2009, 07:16 PM
i think as others have mentioned staying loose helps alot..

here im trying to just hit loose rather then swing fast, the racquet head speed obviously isnt huge, but doesnt seem too bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5I86pHKJ4

user92626
12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
aimr,

I think a person with your build can whack the ball much harder than that.

This is basically how I learn to hit hard. First, just whack the ball really hard and not mind where the ball goes. Afterall, probably no one needs to be taught to chuck woods hard, do they? Then, apply techniques like brushing and clearing the net appropriately.

:)

aimr75
12-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I think a person with your build can whack the ball much harder than that.

yeah my aim really wasnt to hit hard there.. but to simply try stay loose, which i tend to have difficulty with, i think staying loose coupled with correct technique will provide more power then just trying to simply hit harder

guys half my size can still smack the fuzz off the ball.. i dont think my build does much aside from possibly being able to use racquets that are on the heavier side without it becoming an issue

Kaz00
12-30-2009, 09:08 PM
u should really search up this thing called the etchswing increases racquet head speed and u can also do great drills!

http://etcheberryexperience.com/en/info/the_etch_swing