PDA

View Full Version : Best online training sites?

chess9
12-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I sent my friend in NJ a short list of very good online training sites. She's trying to get back into shape and has never lifted before. She usually just walks. :( I've suggested lifting, Tabatas, cycling, and yoga.

So, what are your favorite online training sites? I won't list mine so as not to pollute the discussion.

-Robert

r2473
12-29-2009, 12:45 PM
http://www.weightrainer.net/index.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

http://www.nsca-lift.org/

chess9
12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks! I too like McDonald's stuff. He's a no BULL scientist/ironhead.

-Robert

Topaz
12-29-2009, 02:36 PM
The New Rules of Lifting for Women...a book, but it has an accompanying website.

chess9
12-29-2009, 03:15 PM
http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/

Yes, Cosgrove is a heavyweight.... Good find, girl!

-Robert

Topaz
12-29-2009, 06:47 PM
http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/

Yes, Cosgrove is a heavyweight.... Good find, girl!

-Robert

I have the book, and I can't recommend it enough!

larry10s
12-30-2009, 05:48 AM
Tabatas,

-Robert

chess9 ,i did a google search found abstract stating 7-8 sets of 20 sec 170% max exertion with 10 sec rest. how many reps? and how do you do them?

Topaz
12-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Chess, I've also started doing some workouts with a Crossfit trainer with some of the other teachers at school. Shorter workouts, but they kick my arse (and I'm in pretty darn good shape to being with!).

We do 'circuits' of various moves, usually one minute each, and usually three or four cycles of the circuit.

For example:

1 min jump rope
1 min jump squats
1 min dips w/cable row (great compound move...the cable is attached to the door)
1 min cable shoulder presses
1 min lower leg lifts

So, five minutes to get through one cycle...repeat for 3 or 4 cycles.

I've also started piecing together some of my own workouts from the moves I've learned from my trainer, plus some good 'tennis' moves. The main crossfit site also gives a WOD (workout of the day) that can give great ideas for moves.

My favorite one I've made up so far:

(one minute each)
jump rope
burpees (hate 'em and love 'em at the same time)
skaters
T roll-ups (an ab move)
jump squats (see comment RE burpees)
mountain climbers (sometimes I sub in butt kicks instead)
rest

Maybe you can make up some circuits for her, and if she likes it and is interested, then she could make up her own. Again, I love that I can get a killer workout in with less time.

chess9
12-30-2009, 07:29 AM
chess9 ,i did a google search found abstract stating 7-8 sets of 20 sec 170% max exertion with 10 sec rest. how many reps? and how do you do them?

They are almost impossible to do right on the treadmill. A track is best because you can measure off how far you go in 10/20/30 seconds and don't need to constantly watch your watch. Besides, being exactly accurate is nonsense. You are going to get some benefit out of them regardless of how accurate your work/rest intervals are as long as they are fairly close to prescription. Start out with only 5 or so intervals for the first week if you are out of shape. For the better athletes here, they can do 10-12 of them no sweat. I have done 20 of them in a row without any problem, but I can't go very fast at my age and was whipped when done. Definitely rest the next day as much as you can.

-Robert

chess9
12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Chess, I've also started doing some workouts with a Crossfit trainer with some of the other teachers at school. Shorter workouts, but they kick my arse (and I'm in pretty darn good shape to being with!).

We do 'circuits' of various moves, usually one minute each, and usually three or four cycles of the circuit.

For example:

1 min jump rope
1 min jump squats
1 min dips w/cable row (great compound move...the cable is attached to the door)
1 min lower leg lifts

I've also started piecing together some of my own workouts from the moves I've learned from my trainer, plus some good 'tennis' moves. The main crossfit site also gives a WOD (workout of the day) that can give great ideas for moves.

(one minute each)
jump rope
skaters
T roll-ups (an ab move)
rest

Maybe you can make up some circuits for her, and if she likes it and is interested, then she could make up her own. Again, I love that I can get a killer workout in with less time.

Topaz: I sent her your previous link, and will copy paste this to an email for her. Your workouts are like Turbulence Training or P90x cardio workouts. Muscular endurance sets, basically. Those are good fat burners of course. Nice routines too. She's not up to doing that stuff yet as she's 60, but I see no reason why she can't GET THERE. ;)

Many thanks!

-Robert

larry10s
12-30-2009, 07:43 AM
after 10 -20 reps thats it?? or do you take a longer break and do it again? i know how tough these high intesity work outs are and to do 20 in a row is awsome:) btw try standing in the center of the service box and for thirty seconds go back and forth touching with your racquet the service side line and service center line. rest 30 seconds and o it again .rest 30 seconds and do it again. count how many lines can you touch in each set. does it stay the same or much less in the 3rd set.an elite athlet 40 y/o should do 34. 50 y/o 29 60/26 . pro athlete 38 male numbers . for females 28.25,22,33 respectively . this is an etcheberry fitness test he uses to evaluate someone. btw im 56 and can do 21/22 for all 3 sets.)

chess9
12-30-2009, 07:58 AM
after 10 -20 reps thats it?? or do you take a longer break and do it again? i know how tough these high intesity work outs are and to do 20 in a row is awsome:) btw try standing in the center of the service box and for thirty seconds go back and forth touching with your racquet the service side line and service center line. rest 30 seconds and o it again .rest 30 seconds and do it again. count how many lines can you touch in each set. does it stay the same or much less in the 3rd set.an elite athlet 40 y/o should do 34. 50 y/o 29 60/26 . pro athlete 38 male numbers . for females 28.25,22,33 respectively . this is an etcheberry fitness test he uses to evaluate someone. btw im 56 and can do 21/22 for all 3 sets.)

Your service line drill is very similar, and might be even harder because of the stopping and starting and carrying the racquet. However, for runners, the Tabatas might be better because they are running. Specificity. Are you touching the service side and center lines with the racquet each time? So, you must turn on one of the touches, or you switch the racquet to the left hand? I will try that and let you know how many I do. That should be a good test of hips, legs, balance and speed.
Oh, and do you run back and forth, or carioci or side step back and forth? Are the numbers you quote the best numbers for the age groups?
-Robert

Topaz
12-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Topaz: I sent her your previous link, and will copy paste this to an email for her. Your workouts are like Turbulence Training or P90x cardio workouts. Muscular endurance sets, basically. Those are good fat burners of course. Nice routines too. She's not up to doing that stuff yet as she's 60, but I see no reason why she can't GET THERE. ;)

Many thanks!

-Robert

That's part of the beauty, IMO, you can make the cycles as easy or hard as you need.

I would also recommend Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred. It is built on the same basic principles, but it is easier. There are 3 sections...each one gets progressively harder.

I can access I and II for free through Fit TV with my cable provider (Cox, and I could also get it through Comcast) with the DVR box. Might be another option?

chess9
12-30-2009, 08:15 AM
She is paying a trainer ($800 for 16 one on one sessions to get her started off right!) so we will move into the next phase in a few weeks. She's tall and of Germanic stock, so I'm thinking she will do well with some serious lifting routines, progressively heavier. She's also big boned. So, I'm thinking power is going to be her best area.

Thanks for the Jillian Michaels heads up. The Biggest Loser has been a money maker for her!

-Robert

larry10s
12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Your service line drill is very similar, and might be even harder because of the stopping and starting and carrying the racquet. However, for runners, the Tabatas might be better because they are running. Specificity. Are you touching the service side and center lines with the racquet each time? So, you must turn on one of the touches, or you switch the racquet to the left hand? I will try that and let you know how many I do. That should be a good test of hips, legs, balance and speed.
Oh, and do you run back and forth, or carioci or side step back and forth? Are the numbers you quote the best numbers for the age groups?
-Robert

i touch each line with the racquet and keep the racquet in my right hand.i usually do a croosover step and run to the other side. it seems faster than shuffling side to side. the numbers are the numbers given in the table
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGXM9Br_pQ
another similar test he does is have you start at the center mark of the baseline. put a cone 5 feet up the sidelne. start in the center go to the cone and hit forehands for 30 seconds rest 30 seconds x 3. then do the same for backhands. there was no table . i think i did 9 or so from center line to cone to center line.
he also makes you jump over a 1 foot high bar and see how mwny times can you do it in 30 sec repeat x 3.. i declined that . i was fearful i might hit the bar and break my leg or twist my ankle.

kslick
12-30-2009, 08:56 AM

For example:

1 min jump rope
1 min jump squats
1 min lower leg lifts

(one minute each)
jump rope
skaters
T roll-ups (an ab move)
rest

What is the suggested rest time between circuits and how many circuits do you do?

Thanks.

kslick
12-30-2009, 08:56 AM
What is the suggested rest time between circuits and how many circuits do you do?

Thanks.

Nevermind the circuits, I just missed it.

chess9
12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
i touch each line with the racquet and keep the racquet in my right hand.i usually do a croosover step and run to the other side. it seems faster than shuffling side to side. the numbers are the numbers given in the table
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGXM9Br_pQ
another similar test he does is have you start at the center mark of the baseline. put a cone 5 feet up the sidelne. start in the center go to the cone and hit forehands for 30 seconds rest 30 seconds x 3. then do the same for backhands. there was no table . i think i did 9 or so from center line to cone to center line.
he also makes you jump over a 1 foot high bar and see how mwny times can you do it in 30 sec repeat x 3.. i declined that . i was fearful i might hit the bar and break my leg or twist my ankle.

My buddy didn't show up for our warmup :( so I had to time myself. What I did was do 26 as fast as I could do them, then stopped my stop watch. 35 seconds was the result, but I was slowing down quite a bit towards the end. So, I'm guessing I did around 21 to 23 in 30 seconds. I only did one set because I then had to go play doubles. Those are very demanding! I really thought I could hit about 30 in 30 seconds. :( I'll give them a few more tries over the next few weeks and see if I can improve. At my age, I doubt I'm capable of any improvement. Of course, I could always get slower. ;)

-Robert

The Watchman
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
I sent my friend in NJ a short list of very good online training sites. She's trying to get back into shape and has never lifted before. She usually just walks. :( I've suggested lifting, Tabatas, cycling, and yoga.

Ah yes, this old chestnut.

Proposition 1: the best training routine is the one they will actually do, no? Proposition 2: for most people, getting stronger gives the best training economy (strength is a large aspect of most other useful physical attributes).

Conundrum: most ladies, especially older ladies, don't like the idea of strength training, thinking it's not feminine and will give them large muscles etc.

My solution: I try to introduce them to weight training by getting them to do calisthenics - good full range air squats, pushups and body rows. The full range will help them feel that weights is more than just resistance - it's stability and mobility as well.

I will then try the big sell, telling them that squatting, pressing and pulling with weights are just like these calisthenic moves, but the resistance is much easier to make incremental progress with.

Then I will encourage them to train with high tension for low reps (eg 3-5) and low sets (3-5), explaining that this mostly targets the CNS and gives them "tone". I would explaing that higher workloads at highish tension/resistance would target hypertrophy, which is what they don't want, and higher reps than that would target muscular endurance, which is not what they want either.

Hopefully after a few workouts they'll feel different, more toned, more physically capable. And that - results - should be what convinces them to continue with weights.

If they're more advanced (adequate strength for their needs, and have some competitive need), then I'd start to target other objectives relevant to that goal.

So, what are your favorite online training sites? I won't list mine so as not to pollute the discussion.

If I'm trying to get them on to the idea of weights via calisthenics, I'd direct them to www.simplefit.org. Not intimidating, as calisthenics to most folks looks like working out (eg "bootcamp") and not at all like bodybuilding (though they probably haven't done pistols, hand stand pushups, one arm pushups and weighted/one arm chinups ...)

If they're ready to move to weight training, I'd direct them to Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength (he's got a site www.startingstrength.com) for training technique, and Pavel Tsatsouline's book Power to the People to explain why low reps/high tension won't add much muscle mass but will improve strength and tone.

If they have any athletic/competitive aspirations, I would direct them to Ross Enamait's books Infinite Intensity and Never Gymless (especially the former book). He has a website www.rosstraining.com. An overwhelmingly friendly and helpful guy (I'm not sure of that many trainers who post their cell number on their website), but his demonstrations of exercises (think an ab wheel rollout/jackknife done on toes, with one arm, and with a 20 pound weighted vest) and suggested workouts (think sprint and sandbag pressing intervals, with your "rests" consisting of pushups) can be intimidating.

Hope that helps, Robert.

Topaz
01-04-2010, 02:23 AM
You could also 'sell' those older ladies on strength training by showing them the evidence that it strengthens bones...something we ladies need especially as we get older.

larry10s
01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
My buddy didn't show up for our warmup :( so I had to time myself. What I did was do 26 as fast as I could do them, then stopped my stop watch. 35 seconds was the result, but I was slowing down quite a bit towards the end. So, I'm guessing I did around 21 to 23 in 30 seconds. I only did one set because I then had to go play doubles. Those are very demanding! I really thought I could hit about 30 in 30 seconds. :( I'll give them a few more tries over the next few weeks and see if I can improve. At my age, I doubt I'm capable of any improvement. Of course, I could always get slower. ;)

-Robert

most people are deceived at how demanding this exercise is. everyone i showed it to demonstrating at slow pace so they got the idea of what to do thought it would be a piece of cake. surprise!!!!!!!!
when you do them it will be interesting to see how you do in the 3rd set.
etcheberry also noted how many you did in the first 15 seconds vs the second 15 seconds. indicator of stamina.
let us /me know how you do.

Topaz
01-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Today's crossfit:

300 jump rope
90 squats
80 step ups
70 push-ups (I wanted to die right here!)
60 crunches
50 mountain climbers (actually getting better at these!)
40 wall balls (kind of a combination of a squat and throwing a medicine ball against a wall)
30 roll ups (ab exercise)
20 tricep dips
10 laps

Then a timed circuit:

30s jumping jacks
30s ski jumpers
30s jumping jacks
30s lunges
30s jumping jacks
30s ski jumpers
60s rest

Repeated for 3 total cycles.

Just wanted to throw another example out there of how pretty basic moves can be put together for a really killer workout. And we had women ranging from 35 to 60 working on it...just each at their own pace.

The Watchman
01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Today's crossfit:

Just wanted to throw another example out there of how pretty basic moves can be put together for a really killer workout. And we had women ranging from 35 to 60 working on it...just each at their own pace.

^^ This is exactly the sort of thing my previous post was about - women generally do not want to work with "real" weights (ie challenging resistance) and prefer doing circuit class/metcon type workouts.

They feel like they're huffing and puffing, which must mean they're doing good, right?

IMHO, I think this is poor training economy - people (which of course, includes women) are better off working with challenging resistance to begin with, and then when strength develops past novice stage, move to other athletic qualities (eg energy systems work, muscular endurance).

In my experience, a female trainee who concentrated on progressing their deadlift to > 1.5 bodyweight and then maintained that while working circuit classes/metcons would, in a short space of time, smoke a lady who just concentrated on metcons, ie they would be more capable and athletic. And look better too.

And that is why I think Crossfit is a con - having all participants go through a routine without regard to individual capabilities and goals is not the optimal way to go about things. If you go to Crossfit's forum, you'll find many many threads suggesting novices do a program like Starting Strength before commencing Crossfit. But of course, if Crossfit truly is the best program for everyone, why the suggestion to do Starting Strength first?

I forgot the place I think is best to direct females for training: www.stumptuous.com. The site is maintained by one Krista, an academic (ie she can write and understand research). I like it how she believes that "women’s magazine workouts are '100% useless ********'." (<=b.s. for those who couldn't guess)

For the OP's friend, try this article: http://www.stumptuous.com/old-broads-the-golden-years-of-pumping-iron. Great case study at the bottom.

Topaz
01-05-2010, 03:53 AM
^^^WTF, excuse me? LOL. You try that workout...throw a medicine ball against a wall for a while (while doing explosive squats) and see how you feel. It is quite a 'challenging' resistance...it just uses gravity along with the weight of the medicine ball.

And, fwiw, I lift very heavy things on *other* days and I'm quite familiar with stumptuous.

I also suggested New Rules of Lifting for Women...if you know Krista, you should know Cosgrove, yes? If that more 'acceptable' for a women's workout in your mind?

There are many effective types of workouts out there...as someone else posted, the most effective is the type that a person will actually *do*.

chess9
01-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Since the most important component of exercise is one you will do, I would agree with Topaz. However, TheWatchman makes some good points, particularly the point about women avoiding weights like they were Quasimodo looking for a date. ;) IMHO, the hardest thing I've ever done is getting a woman to do squats with anything over 40 lbs. ;) I had to learn to go more easily on my female friends after one girlfriend about 40 years ago went screaming from the gym accusing me of pushing her too hard. Which was true! But, I learned from that mistake. :)

Btw, one of my tricks to get people to the gym is to tell them to just go and 'touch the machines'. Of course, it doesn't work, because once they get there, they decide to do SOMETHING. Most people simply don't GO TO THE GYM. What you do, is secondary....

-Robert

Topaz
01-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Ok, to be fair, I know exactly where The Watchman is coming from, too.

But...you don't *have* to use weights to get in a good, hard, effective resistance workout, and there were many examples of that in the workout I posted. For example...tricep dips use body weight (and that's pretty significant!) as do push-ups. The wall balls use the medicine ball along with gravity (since you're throwing it up) while you're doing body weight squats. To look at the workout I posted and suggest that it didn't have resistance...well, like I posted, it made me laugh!

So, if your gal is wary of the dumbbells (and a victim of the pink dumbbell curse) then you can still get her to do strength training...just 'sneak' it in with other types of moves.

I have also found as women get fitter and workout more, they start to 'understand' that weights will not 'bulk' them up. With experience comes knowledge (hopefully).

The Watchman
01-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Yes, Topaz, have done and am very familiar with wallballs, double unders, ring dips, fran, cindy and the other "girls", deathmarches (400m of walking lunges), chippers (eg Murph) as well as NROL.

Chippers like the one you posted and other metcons are difficult and soreness inducing, no doubt, particularly if one is not used to them. And they're good for muscular endurance and energy pathway training and even mental toughness.

But soreness doesn't necessarily equal a productive workout. And I maintain that metcons don't give the training economy (ie bang for buck) of high intensity resistance. A novice trainee needs to get strong, because being strong allows wallballs and pushups to act as sub max metcon exercises, rather than max effort exercises.

Once they get stronger, then smoke those metcons (or pursue any other physical quality that that the trainee is seeking).

I also agree with you, Topaz, that weights aren't the only way of training strength. Indeed, I *just* finished a training session of one legged squats (aka pistols), holding my luggage for extra weight, and one arm pushups (I'm currently travelling through a third world country). So bodyweight and stuff lying around the house can provide enough resistance for most trainees (including me).

However, I maintain that any routine where one is performing 450 reps is not training strength.

And Robert/Chess, remember that though grrrls should train like guys (only differences that I can discern is that their more at risk for ACL injuries, their better ability to bear pain, and a curious ability to do more reps than guys at a few pounds less than 1 RM), they're motivated differently. I find they respond less to the usual macho/aggro stuff, and more to being supported (I guess you've learned that already).

chess9
01-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Watchman:

Yup, when I was in my 20's I had more testosterone than brains. Now I have neither and I've never been happier! ;)

-Robert

r2473
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Ah yes, this old chestnut.

Conundrum: most ladies, especially older ladies, don't like the idea of strength training, thinking it's not feminine and will give them large muscles etc.....................

Wow, that is quite an effort you give to this Watchman.

No matter what exercise routine my wife decides to do, I just say "Yes dear". I am told that I am very encouraging :)

The Watchman
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
No matter what my wife decides to do, I just say "Yes dear".

^^^ Fixed.

ET Brit
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
You could also 'sell' those older ladies on strength training by showing them the evidence that it strengthens bones...something we ladies need especially as we get older.

I am constantly pushing weight lifting for improving bone density, Topaz. It is also very good for the metabolism, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

I have been a gym rat since December 2005. It has saved my life - I had 25% lung function left at the time and was heading for the permanently prone position.

Weight workouts for women are priceless.

Ann

ET Brit
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh, one point I would just like to add.

There is nothing more satisfying or more motivating than being a female of a certain age, walking away from a weight resistance machine, only to see a young guy about 30 years my junior, lower the weights. :roll:

Ann

r2473
01-06-2010, 02:49 PM

There is nothing more satisfying or more motivating than being a female of a certain age, walking away from a weight resistance machine, only to see a young guy about 30 years my junior, lower the weights. :roll:

Ann

Well, 5 year old's can't lift much ;)

Topaz
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I am constantly pushing weight lifting for improving bone density, Topaz. It is also very good for the metabolism, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

I have been a gym rat since December 2005. It has saved my life - I had 25% lung function left at the time and was heading for the permanently prone position.

Weight workouts for women are priceless.

Ann

Hi Ann!

Yup, I'm a 'heavy' lifter as well...but I enjoy mixing things up with things such as crossfit workouts. Women need lifting even *more* for our bones...it is too bad that weights get such a bad rep.

Ann

Lol, priceless!

ET Brit
01-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Well, 5 year old's can't lift much ;)

r2473 - thanks for the abs workout. ;-)

It reminded me of my tough 11 year old great nephew who insisted on having an arm wrestling contest with me. He lost, so said: 'ok best out of three' he lost, and lost again. He then said that it wasn't fair because I went to a gym and he didn't.

Why is it that whatever their age, men have to come up with an excuse when a woman occasionally has the temerity to prove her superiority. Is this why in tennis, mixed singles have never really caught on?

Cheers - Ann

ET Brit
01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi Ann!

Yup, I'm a 'heavy' lifter as well...but I enjoy mixing things up with things such as crossfit workouts. Women need lifting even *more* for our bones...it is too bad that weights get such a bad rep.

Lol, priceless!

Thanks so much, Topaz. :) Is your birthday in November? [re Topaz]

By the way, I love your sig line - it sent me scurrying to look up other quotations on integrity. I found this:

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.- Jim Stovall

Lastly, in case you have any elderly friends or family who are deconditioned, below is a link to an inspiring website for beginners. You will be doing them an enormous favour if you can get them to throw away the blanket over the knees and get out of their recliners.

http://growingstronger.nutrition.tufts.edu/

I run an exercise side list for www.emphysema.net which is for COPD patients and tufts website has been a big help.

Cheers - Ann

Topaz
01-07-2010, 04:25 AM

It reminded me of my tough 11 year old great nephew who insisted on having an arm wrestling contest with me. He lost, so said: 'ok best out of three' he lost, and lost again. He then said that it wasn't fair because I went to a gym and he didn't.

Why is it that whatever their age, men have to come up with an excuse when a woman occasionally has the temerity to prove her superiority. Is this why in tennis, mixed singles have never really caught on?

Cheers - Ann

Ann, I think I love you!

Thanks so much, Topaz. :) Is your birthday in November? [re Topaz]

By the way, I love your sig line - it sent me scurrying to look up other quotations on integrity. I found this:

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.- Jim Stovall

Lastly, in case you have any elderly friends or family who are deconditioned, below is a link to an inspiring website for beginners. You will be doing them an enormous favour if you can get them to throw away the blanket over the knees and get out of their recliners.

http://growingstronger.nutrition.tufts.edu/

I run an exercise side list for www.emphysema.net which is for COPD patients and tufts website has been a big help.

Cheers - Ann

Nope, my birthday was actually last Tuesday! 'Topaz' comes from the B52's song of the same name.

I'm currently taking my prerequisites for nursing school, and just finished a basic human biology class (which was pretty much anatomy and physiology without a lab). I was amazed by some of the very cool stuff I learned, and how most of us have no idea of the basic functions of our bodies...and how the 'fad' stuff we do really goes against how our bodies work. And it was mentioned several times, during the skeletal and muscular systems, how movement and weight bearing exercises are the only way to keep those systems healthy and strong! It is so simple, but the majority of the population either isn't aware or doesn't care that they are simply ruining their bodies on a daily basis.

Ok, I could go off for pages and pages...but I'll spare y'all...for now! ;)

chess9
01-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Ann, I think I love you!

Nope, my birthday was actually last Tuesday! 'Topaz' comes from the B52's song of the same name.

I'm currently taking my prerequisites for nursing school, and just finished a basic human biology class (which was pretty much anatomy and physiology without a lab). I was amazed by some of the very cool stuff I learned, and how most of us have no idea of the basic functions of our bodies...and how the 'fad' stuff we do really goes against how our bodies work. And it was mentioned several times, during the skeletal and muscular systems, how movement and weight bearing exercises are the only way to keep those systems healthy and strong! It is so simple, but the majority of the population either isn't aware or doesn't care that they are simply ruining their bodies on a daily basis.

Most people are aware of the basic stuff they should be doing, but they get very busy with too much work, and/or too much play, too much food, too much drink, and not enough of the functional maintenance and repair stuff you've mentioned in your many posts here.

Aren't you a bit young for the B52's? ;) LOL!

Btw, I've met Ann and she's one of the funniest (and smartest) people on the planet and certainly in England. Just this morning on an IM I said: "We are like Eskimos with this cold", and she said "Yes, and Eskimos are very inuitive". ;) Her husband is a laconic Scot, but when he says anything it is also hilarious.

You gotta' love the internet for how it's enriched our lives....

-Robert

ET Brit
01-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Ann, I think I love you!

Well, Topaz, you will be a blessing for the profession. Hopefully you can save humanity from sinking into oblivion due to body mass 'overdo.'

About 4 years ago I was talking to the 34 year old Respiratory Nurse for our area, and said that I had joined a gym. She said: 'Oooh, Ann, why don't you go to the toning tables, like I do?' I was shocked out of my Nike socks!

How would it help my lungs, let alone my bone density, etc. etc. lying on a toning table? As far as I am concerned they are strictly for those who are close to the planet exit door.

It is thanks to Robert aka Chess9 that I became a Gym Rat. He is one of those brilliant people who doesn't put limitations on what another person may be able to achieve. They are very rare. There are those who would limit you because of being overly concerned for your wellbeing, and there are those who try to stop you achieving your potential, seeing it as a threat to them.

Anyway, happy birthday for last Tuesday, Topaz. Whatever you wish for have a wonderful year and if that includes a trip to Wimbledon, stop by for a free bed and good food - I married a chef. :wink:

Cheers - Ann

r2473
01-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Cheers - Ann

This reminds me of a story. This past year I was lifting pretty hard. Managed to put up a 1-rep max of 525 lbs. deadlifting (I weighed about 245 lbs). I was thinking I was pretty big stuff until I talking with my mother-in-law. When she was around 40, she competed in state powerlifting competitions in the 114 lb. weight class. She put up a 252 lb. deadlift.

To add some perspective to this, here is a chart of deadlift performance standards for men and women at varying weights (Notice that her lift puts her in the "elite" category and mine puts me somewhere in the middle of the "advanced" category):

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html

Just goes to show you that you can't even feel safe bragging to your 63 year old 115 lb. mother-in-law. Even she can kick my *** :)

ET Brit
01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
This reminds me of a story. This past year I was lifting pretty hard. Managed to put up a 1-rep max of 525 lbs. deadlifting (I weighed about 245 lbs). I was thinking I was pretty big stuff until I talking with my mother-in-law. When she was around 40, she competed in state powerlifting competitions in the 114 lb. weight class. She put up a 252 lb. deadlift.

To add some perspective to this, here is a chart of deadlift performance standards for men and women at varying weights (Notice that her lift puts her in the "elite" category and mine puts me somewhere in the middle of the "advanced" category):

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html

Just goes to show you that you can't even feel safe bragging to your 63 year old 115 lb. mother-in-law. Even she can kick my *** :)

Great story! You said she was around 40, and I am making a wild guess that you have just over 3 years to go to reach the same age. ;)

Do you have to be somewhat circumspect in negotiating deals with your wife? This show of strength from your mother-in-law could have been passed on in the genes.

Cheers - Ann

r2473
01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Great story! You said she was around 40, and I am making a wild guess that you have just over 3 years to go to reach the same age. ;)

Have you been reading my mail :)

Do you have to be somewhat circumspect in negotiating deals with your wife? This show of strength from your mother-in-law could have been passed on in the genes.

Cheers - Ann

My mother-in-law was dating the local gym guru at that time. He was coaching (in some capacity) the Olympic powerlifting team in those days. He may still provide consulting (no sure). Needless to say, she was getting the best advice and motivation possible.

My wife has less than 0% interest in stuff like this.

ET Brit
01-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Ann, I think I love you!

I didn't want to be spared. ;) But meanwhile, slightly off topic, here is a study which might interest you, Topaz, in view of what has been said before.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100105100027.htm
<<< ScienceDaily (Jan. 7, 2010) Researchers participating in the Multidimensional Intervention for Early Osteoarthritis of the Knee (Knee Study) determined that physically inactive, middle-aged people with symptomatic osteoarthritis benefitted equally from strength training regimens, self-management programs, or a combination of the two.>>>
Cheers - Ann

ET Brit
01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Have you been reading my mail :)

My mother-in-law was dating the local gym guru at that time. He was coaching (in some capacity) the Olympic powerlifting team in those days. He may still provide consulting (no sure). Needless to say, she was getting the best advice and motivation possible.

My wife has less than 0% interest in stuff like this.

No I haven't checked your mail, but check yours - I'll send you a birthday card. ;)

Oh, yes, I can see that her coach had the power to lift your mother-in-law's spirits as well as raise the bar. ;) Pretty sneaky. If your wife suddenly shows a keen interest in 'stuff like this' it might be prudent to watch and 'weight' (sic) before jumping to conclusions. :)

Cheers - Ann