PDA

View Full Version : Movies that push your speakers to their limits

TonyB
12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Ok, let's hear 'em! What is your favorite movie to show off your home theater setup? You don't need to have a dedicated home theater with digital projector and $10,000 speakers. But if you know of a really good speaker-pounding movie with kick-***** surround effects, let us hear about it.

Even though I hate the movies themselves, I must admit that Spider Man 2 and 3 both have incredible effects and action scenes that are awe-inspiring when you listen to them on a good surround system.

From what I've read, "Master and Commander" is another good one.

Anyone have a favorite??

r2473
12-29-2009, 01:34 PM
"The Birth of a Nation"

littleboi21
12-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Transformers.

Yaz
12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Lord of the Rings ROTK
War of the Worlds

If you want a good bass workout check out a cheesy little horror flick called "Pulse"...there's a few scenes around the 1hr 10 min mark that have bass around the 15 Hz mark - bolt down your furniture if you have a big sub!

Court Valkyrie
12-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I like Black Hawk Down. Great score and awesome SFX. And strangly enough...Monsters Inc., Cars, and other Pixar movies sound very good.

Anaconda
12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Probably James Bond, hard to call though.

TonyB
12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Lord of the Rings ROTK
War of the Worlds

If you want a good bass workout check out a cheesy little horror flick called "Pulse"...there's a few scenes around the 1hr 10 min mark that have bass around the 15 Hz mark - bolt down your furniture if you have a big sub!

I actually have "Pulse." Unfortunately, my sub only has real production down to 25 Hz. No way I'd notice anything as low as 15 Hz.

I'll pop it in, though.

Keep 'em coming!

hollywood9826
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Never played it in my home. But Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny was the single loudest movie I ever heard in a theater.

maverick66
12-29-2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7hTvLfifb4

Heat.

Dedans Penthouse
12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
"The Birth of a Nation"

r2473: ouch...no?...

It's "leading off" status notwithstanding in cinematology chronology, wasn't D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" a "racist masterpiece?"

Yaz
12-30-2009, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=TonyB;4230082]I actually have "Pulse." Unfortunately, my sub only has real production down to 25 Hz. No way I'd notice anything as low as 15 Hz.

I'll pop it in, though.QUOTE]

Yeah man, it's that part when Kristen Bell walks into a lab area and sees herself on the computer...I've got a 15" home theater sub and it makes the wife and kids run for cover...lol

Another good one is U-571 during the depth charge attack

Baazigar
12-30-2009, 11:55 AM
master and commander by far...the cannons...wow.

ryangoring
12-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Transformer, both movies
The new Star Trek movie

r2473
12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
r2473: ouch...no?...

It's "leading off" status notwithstanding in cinematology chronology, wasn't D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" a "racist masterpiece?"

Correct.

(It is also a silent film, released in 1915).

http://www.filmsite.org/birt.html

It is the single most important and key film of all time in American movie history - it contains many new cinematic innovations and refinements, technical effects and artistic advancements, including a color sequence at the end. It had a formative influence on future films and has had a recognized impact on film history and the development of film as art. In addition, at almost three hours in length, it was the longest film to date.

little_e
12-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Star Wars episode 1 ~ Pod Race
Driven ~ Quarter Trick
LOTR Fellowship ~ Opening fight scene
LOTR Two Towers ~ The battle at Helms deep
Saving Private Ryan ~ whole movie
Pearl Harbor ~ The bombing
Any Pixar THX thing.

Mick
12-30-2009, 01:30 PM
i wonder what it would be like to watch a maria sharapova vs victoria azarenka match in a home theater system with $10k speakers :)

TonyB
12-30-2009, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=TonyB;4230082]I actually have "Pulse." Unfortunately, my sub only has real production down to 25 Hz. No way I'd notice anything as low as 15 Hz.

I'll pop it in, though.QUOTE]

Yeah man, it's that part when Kristen Bell walks into a lab area and sees herself on the computer...I've got a 15" home theater sub and it makes the wife and kids run for cover...lol

Another good one is U-571 during the depth charge attack

Kristen Bell is *HOT* in that movie.

That is all.

CanadianChic
12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
For me...Top Gun, The Lost Boys, LOTR series, Star Wars series, and anything Tarantino.

Dedans Penthouse
12-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Correct.

(It is also a silent film, released in 1915).

http://www.filmsite.org/birt.html

It is the single most important and key film of all time in American movie history - it contains many new cinematic innovations and refinements, technical effects and artistic advancements, including a color sequence at the end. It had a formative influence on future films and has had a recognized impact on film history and the development of film as art. In addition, at almost three hours in length, it was the longest film to date.Thanks for the info.; well stated. I am aware of D.W. Griffith's "Birth..Nation" an amazing film for its time. I saw it once on PBS and had recalled the film's somewhat sympatico vibe towards the Klan. Anyway, I just looked up the film's accompanied "orchestral score" (another first) and lo and behold D.W. himself is given credit for having composed it. Good stuff; thx again.

on-topic:
Master & Commander
Top Gun
Spiderman 2
Thirteen Ghosts
(old school category: Andy Warhol's Frankenstein in 3-D; sick 'sound & vision')