PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDiS 100 mid

kcehlers
12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
i have a yonex RDiS mid on its way in the mail and i was wondering if those of you that have it could tell me if it is a good racket for an all around game

1st Seed
12-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Does it all
Exceptional slices,Punishing put away power.Good control and feel from the string bed.For me this stick shines at the net, and when trading blows on the baseline with other power players.
Depending on you're previous stick
you're type of string and tension will take some time adjusting to.The sweetspot is generous I rarely shank balls and the stability on off center shots is superb.
Depending on you're skill level will matter.These mids aren't for everybody.If you're coming from say a PureDrive to this than best of luck to ya.Other than that you just bought yourself an absoultly amazing wonderful great Stick.
When it arrives try not to stare at the stunning PJ for to long it's bad for the eyes.Also I suggest softer strings this stick is pretty stiff.Im currently using NRG mains with HRC crosses.
Congrat's and enjoy.P.S don't be afraid to scratch it,My buddy hasn't hit a chip shot with his ever.Thinks it's a Ferrari.....Welcome to TT Take care!

catpuncher
12-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I've been playing with it lately, and have to say.. it's a sweet racquet. Very well-rounded. I'm having a hard time deciding on this or the RDIS300.

kcehlers
12-29-2009, 07:52 PM
ok thanks you guys i cant wait till it comes in also what strings are yall using in it i usually use a luxilon vs hybrid but i dont know what ill use in this one

montox
12-30-2009, 10:01 AM
1st Seed very nice review!!!

I have a RDiS 100 mid and i agree with you, dream racquet for me, only a bit stiff for my taste.

Which other setup you tried?
TY.

1st Seed
12-30-2009, 12:43 PM
^^^^^Kcehlers you really can't go wrong with Vs @ Lux,If you're familiar with that,I believe Lleyton is also using the same along with 80% of the Tour.Hewitt keeps it around 55lbs.

Montox Ciao! Pizano,
I've done very little testing with the Mid.I found the solution very quickly for my rig.I perfer a soft,low tension, dampened feel.I hit extremely hard a very flat.Tec NRG is very durable and crisp and the Head Rip control crosses diminish all unnecessary vibrations.Each blow with my sticks feels awesome.
Montox Spend a little cash when buying strings for you're mid and think soft.Yonex 850 Tour I hear plays well,I'll be stickin the Pacific Gut in the Cross next week with my NRG mains.I hope it play's awful (but I know it won't).If the Gut gives me say 6 to 10 more hrs per stick than it's in my best interest to use it permanetly.My Rip crosses are always popping first.
There was a thread recently on RDiS Strings somewhere.
Say high to all the Bella's you see each day in Italy for me.Lucky Guy.Ciao,and welcome to TT
Montox^^ you play on clay mostly?

montox
12-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the interesting information. I hope to find the thread on RDiS strings...

Yes i play on clay.

Tomorrow I will make 2 hours on clay. :D

By.

rudester
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
ok thanks you guys i cant wait till it comes in also what strings are yall using in it i usually use a luxilon vs hybrid but i dont know what ill use in this one

I have two of these, had them both strung with vs/alu rough,, just pinpoint accuracy and i was able to hit topspin unlike any other racquet i have had. Just love this racquet and string combo. I'm sure you already are aware that this is a very stiff racquet, adjust the tension accordingly.

montox
12-31-2009, 09:04 AM
Guys you have not said the tension of your strings ! :D

Ty.

rudester
12-31-2009, 09:15 AM

Ty.

Vs Gut/Alu Rough 58/56

1st Seed
12-31-2009, 09:15 AM

Ty.

^^^^^^^^^Ciao Montox! I've been steady @53Lbs Mains 51Lbs Crosses.The Mid flexes nicely in all the right area's.I've tried going up in tension and was struggling to find the pop needed to brawl on the baseline.Lower 50's for me feel perfect for my game.:)

Jagman
12-31-2009, 09:34 AM
A search of the "Racquets" and "Strings and Stringing" forums alone will yield some 218 results. Some are full-blown reviews, quite a few honorable mentions, and several that seek to do head-to-head comparisons with other frames. I'll reference a few of the better threads, IMO, below, to get you started:

Yonex RDiS Strings
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=302828

NRG:New Racket Day (Yonex RDiS 100 Mid)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=248893

Yonex RDiS 100 Mid 93 Sq In
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=250034

Yonex RDiS 93
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=257761

Yonex RDiS 100 Mid - String & Tension Suggestions Please
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=251826

Yonex 100 Mid Club
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=247640

RDiS 93 Mid Review
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=245462

Yonex Tough Brid
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295960

Please forgive me for being unable to resist the temptation of referencing a couple of my own threads :). Hope that helped.

Cheers!

montox
12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Guys you are fantastic! thanks for the aid! :D

Ah... happy new year!

bieker
12-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I hope its on its way as a demo and you didn't just buy it.

sargeinaz
12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I demoed it for kicks and as I suspected it was waaaay too stuff for my liking. It does have good pop for a mid though and I can see why people would like the stick. I however much preferred the prestige mid and the volkl pb10 mid.

kcehlers
12-31-2009, 05:48 PM
I hope its on its way as a demo and you didn't just buy it.

i have demoed it before from my local pro shop and i thought it hit very good but that was early this year and it was strung to 59 with nylon so i dont know what to expect with my normal strings so yes i did just buy it

nabbydian
12-31-2009, 10:36 PM
A search of the "Racquets" and "Strings and Stringing" forums alone will yield some 218 results. Some are full-blown reviews, quite a few honorable mentions, and several that seek to do head-to-head comparisons with other frames. I'll reference a few of the better threads, IMO, below, to get you started:

Yonex RDiS Strings
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=302828

NRG:New Racket Day (Yonex RDiS 100 Mid)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=248893

Yonex RDiS 100 Mid 93 Sq In
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=250034

Yonex RDiS 93
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=257761

Yonex RDiS 100 Mid - String & Tension Suggestions Please
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=251826

Yonex 100 Mid Club
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=247640

RDiS 93 Mid Review
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=245462

Yonex Tough Brid
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295960

Please forgive me for being unable to resist the temptation of referencing a couple of my own threads :). Hope that helped.

Cheers!

Thanks Jagman!

i'm considering getting the RDIS 100 Mid stick - and this compliation is really great information in a glance for me..no need to search endlessly on the forums for answers :)

Jagman
01-01-2010, 06:31 AM
You are most welcome, Nabbydian!

If you are new to the RDiS 100 Mid, allow me to offer up a few of my own suppositions, which may or may not apply to you. I'm an older player who grew up playing S&V, and have now expanded to more of an all-court game as my wheels don't get me to the net quite as fast anymore. I favor heavier, stiffer, frames strung around 60 lbs. Although I can hit with more modern strokes, like a WW forehand, my natural tendency is to produce a flatter ball.

I found the RDiS 100 Mid to initially swing very light (my perception), which affected my timing. Fortunately, I noticed that this also produced phenomenal racquet head speed, which gave the RDiS some added pop on both groundstrokes and serve. I stayed with the RDiS Mid in stock form, other than an overgrip and dampener, and am pleased with the results. This did take time and patience on my part, however.

As you will see from the threads, there are players who know exactly what they want in terms of racquet specifications, applied some lead to the RDiS Mid and were good to go from the start. For these players, from most accounts, the racquet did lend itself well to customization.

The RDiS 100 Mid is a very stiff frame. I like to play with polys at relatively high tension and did find the RDiS to be a bit jarring on occasion with such setups. I found some relief going with softer polys and hybrids with softer crosses at tensions in the 55-60 lb range. If you also prefer polys at higher tensions, the best advice I can offer is to change out the string often. I am not a string breaker and have difficulty telling when poly is going bad. For me, it is already well into its death throes before I seem to notice a degradation in play. Get a feel for average string life and cut it out earlier, as opposed to later.

If you hit with a lot of topspin on your groundstrokes and have not tried poly at lower tensions (below 50 lbs), I would recommend that you check it out. There is a ton of additional spin and power on tap at lower tensions. However, without the unique playing characteristics of a string like poly, and the liberal application of spin on the ball, this added power can prove difficult to control. For someone who tends to hit a flatter ball, like me, the percentages, IMO, simply aren't there. Lowering the tension, also lessens the impact of a stiffer frame and provides a more comfortable hit.

Like a lot of modern frames, the RDiS 100 Mid is very responsive to changes in string and tension. First impressions with this stick are highly dependent on this combination, IMO. Unfortunately, this is such a subjective area, you really have to try the different string and tension combinations for yourself. The experiences of others, especially with similar playing styles and equipment preferences, can be helpful, IMO, but are anything but controlling with regard to your own perceptions.

I will offer that, in my own opinion, Yonex strings in Yonex racquets provide very good performance for the money. Yonex strings are not a bad place to start experimenting, IMO, and are fairly economical. I especially like the Tour 850, which has been recommended by several others.

My first impression with the RDiS 100 Mid was one of cautious optimism. It is now my main stick and I prefer it over others in my possession. While I still enjoy hitting with other frames, to include the RDS001 Mid and sticks from the Wilson Prostaff lineage, the RDiS 100 Mid continues to be the best fit for my game. I'm glad that I stayed with it. I hope that anyone who is curious about the frame gives it a try and finds the same level of enjoyment and satisfaction.

Cheers!

nabbydian
01-01-2010, 08:07 AM
actually i'm very similar to your playing style in terms of hitting a flatter ball, when i first started tennis i didnt know what was the differences between hitting with topspin or flat so i juz hit it flat and hard for my forehands.. although i have been gradually imparting more topspin in my shots as i progress its seems hitting flat seems to be the more natural stroke for me - but i also understand i have been hitting way too many shots over the baseline to continue hitting that way thus i'm trying to find a balance :)

my single hand backhand is also flat with almost no topspin therefore when the ball bounces very low i usually slice the return

anyway some history in my main playing racquets before i started using yonex frames (pardon me if i get the racquet specs wrong)

2005 Aug to 2005 Dec - Prince TT Lob Ti, 110 Sq, *** 280g unstrung
2005 Dec to 2006 Jun - Prince TT Game Pro, *** 105 Sq and 290g unstrung(cant rem the exact name since frame cracked and was thrown away)
2006 Jun to 2007 Feb - Prince 03 Hybird Hornet, 110 Sq, *** 280g unstrung
2007 Feb to 2007 Aug - Head LM Instinct, 100 Sq, 295g unstrung
2007 Aug to 2008 Feb - Head FX Instinct, 100 Sq, 295g unstrung
2008 Feb to 2008 Jul - Head MG Extreme Pro, 100 Sq, 315g unstrung
2008 Jul to 2008 Nov - Yonex RDS001 MP 98 Sq, 315g
2008 Nov to 2009 Feb - Yonex RDS002 Tour 98 Sq, *** 315g
2009 Feb to 2009 Jun - Yonex RDS001 Mid 90 Sq, 325g
2009 Jun - Yonex RQIS Tour 1 95sq, 320g
2009 Jul to 2009 Oct - Yonex RDS001 Mid 90 Sq, 325g (again)
2009 Oct to Now - Yonex RDS002 Tour 98 Sq, *** 315g (again)

since i started using yonex i have decided to stick to them :)

i also play poly strings with high tensions, recently my favourite setup was Head Sonic Pro 17 on 59Lbs but this string didnt really worked on the RDS001 Mid unlike the FX instinct and Head Extreme PRo which lead me to abandon full poly all together.

I had the Yonex ATG850 Pro on the RDS001 MP and it was a very good strings in terms of comfortabiliy but there was no pop :( which causes my flat backhand to miss many shots

Your recommendation is really detailed and useful :)

i suppose when i get the RDIS MID, the most likely setup i'll use is the Luxilon BB Power Rough(mains) & PSGD or Gosen Microsheep 17 as the Cross with a 56Lbs job because if the smaller frame - the current setup on my RDS002 Tour is BB Power Rough & PSGD at 58Lbs

fms
11-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Could anybody tell me if the headsize of the Yonex RDiS Mid is actually 93? (I know the Redondo and the Head for instance are 89-90 instead of 93.)
How does the RDiS compare to, say, the PS 6.1 Classic in headsize?

zak425
11-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I am putting a few of these for sale on this site, waiting for it to be accepted.

T1000
11-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I thought this was a good overall but racquet but something just didn't click with me. Something was off and I couldn't put my finger on it. I loved serving and voleying with this stick, amazing spin serves and stability at the net. Groundstrokes were hit and miss with me

1st Seed
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Could anybody tell me if the headsize of the Yonex RDiS Mid is actually 93? (I know the Redondo and the Head for instance are 89-90 instead of 93.)
How does the RDiS compare to, say, the PS 6.1 Classic in headsize?

Had to pick up a Redondo cause the Yonex is way to stiff to warm up on.I'dd say it's a true 93" plays a lot bigger, generous sweetspot My ROK is
nearly identical looking to the RDiS.the Yonex honestly has a bigger sweetspot than a K95.There on sale in Canada right now for 149$CDN i believe.I can't opost where sorry.Hope this helps?
Really is a great stick just stiff as a corpse.
TAke Care.

fms
11-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the info!

May pick one up when they're for sale here in Europe; the only thing that's holding me back is the stiffness :)

fish
11-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Nab ching, do u get a rdis mid to play now ?? what do u feel ??

i have a yonex RDiS mid on its way in the mail and i was wondering if those of you that have it could tell me if it is a good racket for an all around game

actually i'm very similar to your playing style in terms of hitting a flatter ball, when i first started tennis i didnt know what was the differences between hitting with topspin or flat so i juz hit it flat and hard for my forehands.. although i have been gradually imparting more topspin in my shots as i progress its seems hitting flat seems to be the more natural stroke for me - but i also understand i have been hitting way too many shots over the baseline to continue hitting that way thus i'm trying to find a balance :)

my single hand backhand is also flat with almost no topspin therefore when the ball bounces very low i usually slice the return

anyway some history in my main playing racquets before i started using yonex frames (pardon me if i get the racquet specs wrong)

2005 Aug to 2005 Dec - Prince TT Lob Ti, 110 Sq, *** 280g unstrung
2005 Dec to 2006 Jun - Prince TT Game Pro, *** 105 Sq and 290g unstrung(cant rem the exact name since frame cracked and was thrown away)
2006 Jun to 2007 Feb - Prince 03 Hybird Hornet, 110 Sq, *** 280g unstrung
2007 Feb to 2007 Aug - Head LM Instinct, 100 Sq, 295g unstrung
2007 Aug to 2008 Feb - Head FX Instinct, 100 Sq, 295g unstrung
2008 Feb to 2008 Jul - Head MG Extreme Pro, 100 Sq, 315g unstrung
2008 Jul to 2008 Nov - Yonex RDS001 MP 98 Sq, 315g
2008 Nov to 2009 Feb - Yonex RDS002 Tour 98 Sq, *** 315g
2009 Feb to 2009 Jun - Yonex RDS001 Mid 90 Sq, 325g
2009 Jun - Yonex RQIS Tour 1 95sq, 320g
2009 Jul to 2009 Oct - Yonex RDS001 Mid 90 Sq, 325g (again)
2009 Oct to Now - Yonex RDS002 Tour 98 Sq, *** 315g (again)

since i started using yonex i have decided to stick to them :)

i also play poly strings with high tensions, recently my favourite setup was Head Sonic Pro 17 on 59Lbs but this string didnt really worked on the RDS001 Mid unlike the FX instinct and Head Extreme PRo which lead me to abandon full poly all together.

I had the Yonex ATG850 Pro on the RDS001 MP and it was a very good strings in terms of comfortabiliy but there was no pop :( which causes my flat backhand to miss many shots

Your recommendation is really detailed and useful :)

i suppose when i get the RDIS MID, the most likely setup i'll use is the Luxilon BB Power Rough(mains) & PSGD or Gosen Microsheep 17 as the Cross with a 56Lbs job because if the smaller frame - the current setup on my RDS002 Tour is BB Power Rough & PSGD at 58Lbs