PDA

View Full Version : Gino Inzerillo's College Tennis Video

gino
12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey guys,
Here is the video for all who haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOEw8mcW7Y4

Let's move all the comments to this thread to keep it a little more organized.
Let me know what you think of my game and how I can improve.
Also, let me know about the following questions from an earlier thread.

"Hey everyone, I am a 16 year old junior from northern california. I am a junior this year at De La Salle High School and I have improved my tennis dramatically in the past few years. I am 5 feet 7 inches, I play with a semi western forehand, one handed backhand, solid fitness, and big serve. I am an all court player with solid volleys off both sides and doubles experience. I have been playing tennis since age 11.

I am ranked 153 in northern california and 2014 nationally in boy's 18 singles. I realize that my rankings are low but I have just moved up to 18's. I was wondering what you all think my chances are of playing at a division 1 school as a walk on, or maybe getting a division 2 scholarship?

My top schools of interest are Loyola Marymount, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, UC Santa Barbara, Pepperdine, University of San Diego, Pomona College, Claremont College, and Saint Mary's College.

Thanks everyone,
Gino"

Thanks again all you guys.
Gino

aphex
12-29-2009, 11:01 PM
very nice game gino.

first thing to improve: keep your feet on the ground when hitting the forehand.

second thing: consistency. i see slight changes in form from one fh to the next (or one bh to the next). at this level you're at (or aiming at), you have to be a machine...especially in practice...the stroke has to look the same each and every time and you must be able to produce that same stroke for 3 days straight (exaggerating, but you get the point) without missing.

also, i'm sure someone more experienced than me can tell you about your racquet drop (is it the called the backscratch position?) on the serve...

i'm not a teaching pro, so these are my amateur observations...

and for the love of god, do something about this music...especially that eurotrance track towards the end is horrible:wink:

gino
12-31-2009, 10:46 AM
thanks aphex i do agreed with that ball machine mentality, thank you for that perspective.

does anyone have some more advice?

Spinz
01-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Gino - good video! I like your footwork - I think you are very good at attacking the ball with your feet. This is going to help you a ton if you play an aggressive, attacking game. The front foot hop on short balls is going to serve you well. I knew a guy who had amazing footwork on short balls and he beat Gimelstob in college. I didn't watch the whole video so I did not see how you handle defensive situations. You will get those in college tennis. College tennis has a lot of grinders. I'd suggest you continue to work on the footwork because I think it is a real strength for you. Look into videos from footwork experts like Jez Green and David Bailey. I think you've got a great shot at division 1 tennis.

TennisNinja
01-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice vid, the only thing I'd think that is missing is that behind the court view.

ci2ca
01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I agree with the not setting the feet part. You have great quick feet but you tend to not get your weight down and end up transfer stepping into almost every forehand you hit. Sure that's great for short balls but the deep balls that you get you won't be able to do that. So use your quick little feet to get into position "Load up" Aka setting your feet with a wide base and swing forward. Happy hitting man.

DNShade
01-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Gino - nice vid. Well done.
A couple of quick things. First of all - upload it in the correct aspect ratio - it's squeezed now and annoying to watch. You don't want to annoy anyone who is looking at you for school of course. Do something to fix that - should be easy. If you can - cut it down a bit too - doesn't need to be that long - just about 3 - 5 min - 7 tops - is more than enough for a coach to see what you got - and lose the music unless it's for a quick intro or something. If you include the slow-mo in the final cut - then maybe you can put music over that. And try to get as many shots from behind you to see what the depth and strength of you shots really are and maybe a few more live points - without any music overlay.

Pretty nice form on most everything - some of it looks like you might have been trying too hard to look "in form" than just playing naturally - but those can be weeded out in editing. The only real main sort of suggestion technique-wise - is on your serve. You tend to jump straight up at the ball - but not forward and into the court at all. On a few of them you actually landed back further than where you started standing. By tossing more into the court you'll obviously get more power etc. - and it will help with some of the other minor issues you may have there as well. You really want to get that body and weight moving into the court and into your serve. Just a thought and something you can work on.

Other than that - just get a few more behind you "POV" angles and some more full points played out and cut it down in length and you'll have a nice vid to represent yourself.

Bash and Crash
01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
thanks aphex i do agreed with that ball machine mentality, thank you for that perspective.

does anyone have some more advice?

hey Gino, nice vid, definitely keep that back leg on the ground, your not loading and driving off it on your forehand. Like your BH, BH slice looked nice but would like to see a little longer drive through the shot you tend to pull accross on it. Serve is nice, can't tell for sure if you are really swinging through the ball enough to get some more zip on it(there is something in there I don't like but can't figure it out, something in the rythm). Volleys are solid, a little handsy on fh volley but still look ok. Jusy three cents worth from a local teaching pro.