PDA

View Full Version : NYC Competitive Ladder

Neil Peart
12-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Anyone here play in this?

Is it worth $70 a night?

I just moved to Brooklyn, looking for matches.

https://www.rirctennis.com/ASL%20Round%20Robin%20Ladder%20Winter%2009.htm

mikeler
12-30-2009, 05:56 AM
Can't speak for that particular league, but I do like the ladder format.

Sakkijarvi
12-30-2009, 06:09 PM
If it's $70.00 a night it must be where Trump hits....obviously only for John Moneybags, not real hitters with, say, whatcha call them...'friends'...

raiden031
12-31-2009, 06:38 AM
If it's $70.00 a night it must be where Trump hits....obviously only for John Moneybags, not real hitters with, say, whatcha call them...'friends'...

NYC is ridiculous for tennis. Back in '08 I went up there for the USO, and decided I wanted to play tennis with my buddy who lives up there. He didn't have some park membership that you need, so we decided to find a club to rent a court for an hour or two. The cheapest one we could find was $70/hour for a court (indoor har-tru). There were some that were over $100/hour.

I thought the $30/hour rate where I live is bad, but this is absurd. I hate people for being willing to pay those kind of rates.

J011yroger
12-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't pay it. The ladder I am on is around 30 people, and it is $30 for a match, and I find that pricey for an hour and a half match. But that is on LI, so a bit away.

Where in NYC are you? I would play you a match if you wanted to meet at the NTC or Sportime Randalls Island, or just practice.

J

DCaicedo
01-01-2010, 03:06 PM
NYC is and isn't ridicuolous. As someone who plays in the city all the time- it's all a matter of finding when and where.
Yes- during the day is crazy. The USTA NTC, where I can actually afford (but only from 7-8am before I go to work), is crazy expensive (around $70/hr).
I've never hit at RIRC- $70 is too rich for my blood.
On that note, anyone looking to play- hit me up: davidcaicedo@mail.adelphi.edu

J011yroger
01-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Do you work for Adelphi?

If you are ever out by the Garden City campus, drop me a line, I play not too far from there, especially when outdoor play starts.

J

DCaicedo
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Sounds good- I'll keep in mind but it'd be a hike for me
Yup, M.A. '05

kendall22
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
There are public courts in NYC where you can pay money ($7/person/hr) without having the seasons pass or those single play slips, but it goes entirely facility-by-facility without any uniformity. The highest profile such court is the 10 clay courts at Riverside/96th.

USTA is $62, which is not bad by NYC standards for a brand-new facility. The outdoor courts (same courts used for the tournament) are fine at $30. There is no place you can play peak times in Manhattan for under $60.

janky
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I lived in Manhattan and my team went to Nationals at the 4.0 level in 2005. Finding courts to hit on is tough and although I didn't pay for the entire Roosevelt Island ladder, I did pay for 4-5 nights each year to get warmed up for the USTA season. The ladder is competitive and it's regular but pricey. The best bet IMO is to join a USTA team (even though matches cost about $30 a match because of court time, as stated earlier in the thread) and then get a NYC parks pass to hit in Central Park or the Lower East Side courts. There are a lot of public courts in NYC on the parks pass (versus $7 a shot like kendall22 mentioned). Also, the USTA allows anyone to hit on the National Tennis Center courts for relatively cheap ($30 an hour).

JHBKLYN
01-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Anyone here play in this?

Is it worth $70 a night?

I just moved to Brooklyn, looking for matches.

https://www.rirctennis.com/ASL%20Round%20Robin%20Ladder%20Winter%2009.htm

What is your NTRP rating?

Neil Peart
01-09-2010, 12:15 PM
What is your NTRP rating?

I'm a true 4.5.

I've beaten every self rated 4.5/5.0/5.5 from Craigslist and the other silly tennis lists out here like tennisopolis.

NYC is full of falsely rated players from what I can tell that don't even play tourneys or leagues.

I'm headed to Randall's tonight to play another self rated 4.5 guy which means I'll beating a 4.0 guy's head into the ground leaving the court bloodied and battered.

10ACE
01-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm a true 4.5.

I've beaten every self rated 4.5/5.0/5.5 from Craigslist and the other silly tennis lists out here like tennisopolis.

NYC is full of falsely rated players from what I can tell that don't even play tourneys or leagues.

I'm headed to Randall's tonight to play another self rated 4.5 guy which means I'll beating a 4.0 guy's head into the ground leaving the court bloodied and battered.

Pop over the bridge and play at Sutton East- good tennis, top pros show up, Jim Courier plays there. Or, take the Subway to 59st, and walk 3-4 blocks.

JHBKLYN
01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm a true 4.5.

Are you near Prospect Park? You can find legit 4.5+ players at Prospect, you post it on their bulletin board or something.

If you want to beat another 4.0 guy into the ground, I'm available. But I am a USTA rated 4.0 so I may not leave the court that bloodied but I'll bring more bandages just in case! :)

J011yroger
01-09-2010, 08:34 PM
^^^ I smell doubles!!!

J

JoelDali
01-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Mr. Peart and I will be playing Monday night...looking forward...unfortunately no video facilities are available here or else I'd video the expo.

With regards to the ladder, I've played a bunch of guys on that list and they're all great fellas. I wish I could afford it, I've been contemplating it for a while but its just too $$$ for me when I can do the same thing (play a match) on my own for a little cheaper. Also, I hate the bounces at Roosevelt. Probably the most beat up Hard Tru in the city. I've never played especially well there for some reason.

J011yroger
01-10-2010, 07:04 AM
^^^ You play Peart, I will play JHB, and then we will team up and take them on in dubs.

I promise you that seeing me play dubs is worth the price of admission. The only time I do more stupid crap than when playing dubs is when Mr. Cuervo and I have relations.

J

janky
01-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Who won?

Also, to Mr. Peart: beating up on folks on Craig's list and social ladders is a lot different than beating up on folks in 4.5 USTA. Why not join a USTA league at the 4.5 level?

Mr. Peart and I will be playing Monday night...looking forward...unfortunately no video facilities are available here or else I'd video the expo.

With regards to the ladder, I've played a bunch of guys on that list and they're all great fellas. I wish I could afford it, I've been contemplating it for a while but its just too $$$ for me when I can do the same thing (play a match) on my own for a little cheaper. Also, I hate the bounces at Roosevelt. Probably the most beat up Hard Tru in the city. I've never played especially well there for some reason.

Neil Peart
01-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Who won?

Also, to Mr. Peart: beating up on folks on Craig's list and social ladders is a lot different than beating up on folks in 4.5 USTA. Why not join a USTA league at the 4.5 level?

thats my goal.

but I don't know too many people in Brooklyn that play 4.5 league yet.

I know they exist.

Dali beat me 4 and 5.

It was a good match, but I think I'd take him on clay.

We're playing on the tru next friday.

for $ this time.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
01-15-2010, 07:33 AM
NYC is ridiculous for tennis. Back in '08 I went up there for the USO, and decided I wanted to play tennis with my buddy who lives up there. He didn't have some park membership that you need, so we decided to find a club to rent a court for an hour or two. The cheapest one we could find was $70/hour for a court (indoor har-tru). There were some that were over $100/hour.

I thought the $30/hour rate where I live is bad, but this is absurd. I hate people for being willing to pay those kind of rates.

Omg...this is just ridiculous!!! :evil:
Im happy that i can play for as much as i want for free at 2 different clubs in my city.

JoelDali
01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Omg...this is just ridiculous!!! :evil:
Im happy that i can play for as much as i want for free at 2 different clubs in my city.

Lucky you, can I come live with you and your cache of Swedish white chocalate? I recently found a place in NYC for $10/hr but its super secret and its location will not be divulged. Dear TT Mod, 'Neil' and I aren't playing for money, but we will play for a set of VS Team.

:twisted:

J011yroger
01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Lucky you, can I come live with you and your cache of Swedish white chocalate? I recently found a place in NYC for $10/hr but its super secret and its location will not be divulged. Dear TT Mod, 'Neil' and I aren't playing for money, but we will play for a set of VS Team.

:twisted:

You got to play your guy, mine challenged me to a match, and when I agreed, fled the msg boards fearing for his life.

Not fair.

P.S. JD if we get to play I will try my best to rekindle my A1 serve which has been AWOL since the first round of the National.

I thought I would get a new allotment of them on Jan 1, so I used up what I had left. But much like the BLX frames, the delivery is delayed.

J

JoelDali
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
You had me at hello.