PDA

View Full Version : Sliding On Clay :-?

minisellars
12-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Basically, i play on american clay more than any other surface, im getting good at hitting the high balls with heavy topspin although i have a one handed backhand, one problem i am having is sliding into low or hard to reach balls, what i seem to be doing at the moment is just running in to the shot, i may be able to get the ball back with this technique (just),confused but by the time my opponent has played his next shot, i am still trying to slow down.

Help!

mikeler
12-30-2009, 05:40 AM
http://z.about.com/d/tennis/1/5/c/C/federer-forehand-sliding-clay.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/06/08/sports/08tennis600.jpg

PBODY99
12-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Try to catch the Casal segment on the Tennis Channel. He goes over how to slide. I've played on Red and Green clay since the 1970's and I still don't slide, so good luck.

mikeler
12-30-2009, 06:31 AM
It took me about 6 months to really learn how to slide so be patient.

supineAnimation
12-30-2009, 06:47 AM
The first rule is always keep your toes pointed in the direction of the slide or, conversely, never allow your ankles to turn to the side by having the plane of your foot perpendicular to the direction of the slide. There are a lot of subtleties that you'll pick up, but that's the big one. Ankle strength is important as well, but even the strongest ankles will turn if you slide incorrectly. Look at both Federer's and Gaudio's feet in the pictures you posted and you should be able to see this rule in action.

Drago
12-30-2009, 11:03 AM
The first rule is always keep your toes pointed in the direction of the slide.

I don't think that this is necessary.

The first think you need is to have a shoes for clay that allows sliding. And after that to overcome the fear of potential failure, you need to reach several wide balls with sliding.

scotus
12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
I remember watching on the Tennis Channel a famous coach/trainer (I forget whether it was Carlos Rodriguez or Pat Etcheberry) talk about the techniques involved in sliding on clay.

If possible, you might want to look into that video.

mikeler
12-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't think that this is necessary.

The first think you need is to have a shoes for clay that allows sliding. And after that to overcome the fear of potential failure, you need to reach several wide balls with sliding.

Yep, make sure you buy a shoe with a non-marking sole.

Nellie
12-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Slide prior to the stroke so that you slice into the shot and recover (have to start stopping first)

Do not slide after the shot - you will slide out of the point.