PDA

View Full Version : How Long will it take me to figure this mac out?

meowmix
12-30-2009, 07:21 AM
My aunt just bought me a new macbook yesterday. She lives in California, yet, this morning, the Fedex guy came and dropped off my new macbook.

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. I'm just curious, how long do you think it'll take me to figure out how to use the thing? I've been using windows my entire life, and right now, I'm using an Acer. The Acer runs fine, and it's enough for my limited needs, but I've noticed that it can run very slowly.

For a guy that has very limited experience with Macs, how long will it take me to get familiar with the Mac OS?

Fearsome Forehand
12-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Not long. It is a similar setup. Windows was based on Apple's OS after all.
The first IBM PC's used DOS, that was a blast. ;o)

I use both a MAC and a PC. There are differences but nothing a reasonably intelligent person can't conquer fairly quickly.

mikeler
12-30-2009, 09:34 AM
It will be interesting to see your opinion in 6 months. Mac users tend to stay very loyal to the Apple brand. I'm a PC guy too, but my iPhone makes me think that I should take the plunge and buy a Mac.

Snipergene
12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Biggest is issue for me was was/is the Mac's delete key is the PC's backspace key and there is no real delete key. 15 months and I am still not used to that.

ananda
12-30-2009, 06:03 PM
First, God bless your aunt.

My switchover was effortless and I've never looked back.

What apps do you use ? What do you do most on the computer.?

star 5 15
12-30-2009, 06:28 PM
It will be interesting to see your opinion in 6 months. Mac users tend to stay very loyal to the Apple brand. I'm a PC guy too, but my iPhone makes me think that I should take the plunge and buy a Mac.

I agree with you there about wanting to get a mac. I've had my iphone since October and now since I got some cash for xmas I'm looking into getting one. I was thinking about the MB Pro but apparently it's due for an update early next month so I'm holding out. I hope I'm right about the update and I'm not waiting for nothing. I really like the macbook but I'm kind of hesitant about the plastic shell.

meowmix
12-30-2009, 06:47 PM
First, God bless your aunt.

My switchover was effortless and I've never looked back.

What apps do you use ? What do you do most on the computer.?

My needs are very basic. I surf the net and do homework, and that's pretty much it. On my pc, I run openoffice, ie (although I should switch) and that's about it. Very minimal gaming. Very minimal need for processor intensive stuff. It's why I've managed to live on 512 RAM on this laptop for 3 years.

FYI, the reason for the mac is that I'm entering college in 9 months. I needed a computer upgrade before then, and my aunt jumped at a 25% discount on the macbook.

star 5 15
12-30-2009, 07:35 PM
My needs are very basic. I surf the net and do homework, and that's pretty much it. On my pc, I run openoffice, ie (although I should switch) and that's about it. Very minimal gaming. Very minimal need for processor intensive stuff. It's why I've managed to live on 512 RAM on this laptop for 3 years.

FYI, the reason for the mac is that I'm entering college in 9 months. I needed a computer upgrade before then, and my aunt jumped at a 25% discount on the macbook.

How did you get a 25% discount. I would jump all over that too. Like right now.

FYI I'm a student too in case that was the discount.

Feña14
12-30-2009, 08:08 PM
It took me a week or two to get used to the close button being in the top left corner, also using the copy and paste shortcut took a few days to get comfortable with.

LiveForever
12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey Meowmix. My parents bought me a macbook pro for my birthday. The computer is awesome but I am having a little trouble with the mousepad. I didnt know how to right click lol. Also I find managing multiple web pages at the same time to be kinda difficult. Other than that I am really thrilled about the laptop. I am still discovering new things every day. The battery life is tremendous, I was on it for 4.5 hrs with it crashing. Oh, and of course, it looks really hot as well. :o

LanEvo
12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey Meowmix. My parents bought me a macbook pro for my birthday. The computer is awesome but I am having a little trouble with the mousepad. I didnt know how to right click lol. Also I find managing multiple web pages at the same time to be kinda difficult. Other than that I am really thrilled about the laptop. I am still discovering new things every day. The battery life is tremendous, I was on it for 4.5 hrs with it crashing. Oh, and of course, it looks really hot as well. :o

get a wireless mouse, then u can right click to copy and paste

LiveForever
12-30-2009, 08:29 PM
get a wireless mouse, then u can right click to copy and paste
LOL. I am currently using an efficient usb mouse. Works like a charm.

Mansewerz
12-30-2009, 08:31 PM
LiveForever, how old are you if you don't mind me asking. I had the impression that you were 30 years old or so (no offense)

LiveForever
12-30-2009, 08:37 PM
LiveForever, how old are you if you don't mind me asking. I had the impression that you were 30 years old or so (no offense)

:shock: Oh really. LOL. I am 18 yrs. old.

equinox
12-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I use both a MAC and a PC. There are differences but nothing a reasonably intelligent person can't conquer fairly quickly.

Lol i love this comment!

I wish that were true. Unfortunately windows/office training given to students/workers teaches them gui/application specific mouse/keyboard usage navigation patterns. They don't think, only pattern match from past success. This severely handicaps anyone solely experienced with microsoft products from easily learning anything different. Actually much easier to teach a neophyte the common concepts applicable to all computer systems than to deprogram an office drone.

My tip is to buy a three button mouse and learn the cmd key functions.
A mac isn't a magical get out of jail card. You'll still need to provide support to aunty. sigh.

TheLama
12-30-2009, 10:50 PM

When you go to school, you will undoubtably spend a lot of time watching bootleg films and your favorite TV shows on your laptop, and Mac's do it best. You will be really happy with your gift. Those websites will look like original DVD's on your screen!

Also, if you are using openoffice on your pc, you will have to switch to the openoffice version for Macs, which is Neooffice.

ananda
12-31-2009, 05:02 AM
You say "homework" but its not clear what you use to do that.

That could be critical, if your homework has to be submitted in some particular format, or uses some software available only on Windows.

You might want to google "for most popular free mac apps"

There's some great stuff out there.
I just got a couple links, i've not checked them out though.

http://macapper.com/2008/01/10/mac-os-x-freeware-list/

http://rangit.com/operating-systems/top-40-most-useful-free-mac-os-x-softwares/

mikeler
12-31-2009, 05:40 AM

The avatar fooled you...

tennytive
12-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Once you go mac, you never go back.
:cool:

Mansewerz
12-31-2009, 09:05 AM
The avatar fooled you...

:shock: Oh really. LOL. I am 18 yrs. old.

Yup, i'm only 12 years off :D

I myself am 16

ananda
12-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Once you go mac, you never go back.
:cool:
haha, i heard a pretty funny one here that sounded quite similar :-D

Mick
12-31-2009, 09:32 AM
i remember some years ago, my old boss bought a mac for me to use. i asked him where the manual was and he told me, "you don't need a manual to use a mac" :shock:

effervescence
12-31-2009, 10:32 AM
I was on a PC right up till my dad got a Mac for the family computer, and Macs--they're so easy to use, so user-friendly and efficient, and not bad on the eyes either. Today I think I know how to do 100x more things on a Mac than on a PC despite having used the latter for a decent amount of time (or I'm probably just really daft :P).

meowmix
12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I do not know if the discount is still available, but here's what I've heard.

The University of Maryland has a deal with Apple. A few days ago, my cousin was informed that Macbooks for U of Maryland students would cost 748 dollars. From what I've learned on various websites, the actual cost is 948, but you can get 200 dollars back, knocking the price down to 748 (a 25% discount off the regular 999). You can access this through mac.edu (apparently). Hope this helps whoever wants a macbook for (relatively) cheap.

meowmix
12-31-2009, 11:25 AM
You say "homework" but its not clear what you use to do that.

That could be critical, if your homework has to be submitted in some particular format, or uses some software available only on Windows.

You might want to google "for most popular free mac apps"

There's some great stuff out there.
I just got a couple links, i've not checked them out though.

http://macapper.com/2008/01/10/mac-os-x-freeware-list/

http://rangit.com/operating-systems/top-40-most-useful-free-mac-os-x-softwares/

For me, homework right now consists of writing essays for classes, and typing up responses to study questions. Very basic stuff. I'm also officers in quite a few organizations, which require the use of a spreadsheet/the ability to open excel files. No biggie. I'm no longer taking computer programming, so I don't have any use right now for those programs.

meowmix
12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
I have... 3-4 hours of use on this mac, and I'm pretty comfortable with it. I don't have any preferences... yet. It is remarkably convenient to use, but (I don't think) more so than a pc. Still trying to figure out how some of these programs work, but so far, the learning curve has been very shallow. The only thing that's angered me about the mac so far is that it doesn't come pre-installed with a decent word processor. I kind of expected something similar to MS Works or Word to be preinstalled... instead, there was only this really crappy program. Installed Openoffice 3.something (need to update on my pc...), and I'm very content.

defrule
12-31-2009, 09:45 PM
My sisters new Macbook Pro can go upto 7 hours with normal browsing and stuff. I've seen the indicator at 8 hours too.

I'm damn impressed with these Macs, my next system will definitely be a Mac.

Quality system hands down.

star 5 15
12-31-2009, 10:10 PM
I do not know if the discount is still available, but here's what I've heard.

The University of Maryland has a deal with Apple. A few days ago, my cousin was informed that Macbooks for U of Maryland students would cost 748 dollars. From what I've learned on various websites, the actual cost is 948, but you can get 200 dollars back, knocking the price down to 748 (a 25% discount off the regular 999). You can access this through mac.edu (apparently). Hope this helps whoever wants a macbook for (relatively) cheap.

I checked out on the education store and I didn't see that price. There is a pretty good discount though that I'm just going to go through with my HS. I think it's for the majority of hs and colleges. I think most are the same I checked out a few in my city but the price for the macbooks is 899 versus the 999. Most of the lower priced laptops are about 100 off and then once you get to the 2k range its about 150 to 200 off. imacs its only about 50 though. that's all that i found.

ananda
12-31-2009, 11:07 PM
I have... 3-4 hours of use on this mac, and I'm pretty comfortable with it. I don't have any preferences... yet. It is remarkably convenient to use, but (I don't think) more so than a pc. Still trying to figure out how some of these programs work, but so far, the learning curve has been very shallow. The only thing that's angered me about the mac so far is that it doesn't come pre-installed with a decent word processor. I kind of expected something similar to MS Works or Word to be preinstalled... instead, there was only this really crappy program. Installed Openoffice 3.something (need to update on my pc...), and I'm very content.

I know, if you are used to MS Word (proprietary format) then any other system can be inconveniencing. TextEdit is not the same i think. That is why is asked about what exactly does your homework require. But i am glad that OO satisfies your requirements.

I just remembered that Google has something called Google Docs (in gmail) in which(iirc) you can edit a Word doc -- although that will be on the web/gmail. Haven't really used it but just remembered.

For me, homework right now consists of writing essays for classes, and typing up responses to study questions. Very basic stuff. I'm also officers in quite a few organizations, which require the use of a spreadsheet/the ability to open excel files. No biggie. I'm no longer taking computer programming, so I don't have any use right now for those programs.
Ack, the links are general programs not programming related. Like Adium for messaging, or other programs for ftp, blog editing, torrenting, watching video etc.

I think as you go along you may need those.

Do download a free program called "namely" which lets you enter a few letters of a command name and it opens that application. Very nifty.

And i also use a free clipboard saver called Jumpcut. Its minimal but free.

I've also got typeitforme (expands abbreviations as i type).

if you browse a lot, you have the choice of Safari, Camino and of course Firefox.

You'll need Perian if you use Flash - i think thats for Quicktime (sort of forgetting). You can also use VLC for watching videos (avis).

makinao
12-31-2009, 11:21 PM
I didnt know how to right click lol. Also I find managing multiple web pages at the same time to be kinda difficult.

Right click on a MacBook = two finger tap. System Preferences > Trackpad > "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click".

Multiple web pages ? = Do you mean browser tabs? Thats standard in Safari and Firefox. Command + T.

makinao
12-31-2009, 11:34 PM
The only thing that's angered me about the mac so far is that it doesn't come pre-installed with a decent word processor. I kind of expected something similar to MS Works or Word to be preinstalled... instead, there was only this really crappy program. Installed Openoffice 3.something (need to update on my pc...), and I'm very content.

I never had a Wintel computer (and I've had more than a few) that came preinstalled with a "decent word processor". Like Window's Notepad, Text Edit for mac is a plain text / rich text editor. For freeware, there is Oo for Mac, and an earlier fork of Oo called NeoOffice, which if further developed than Oo for Mac and which is preferred by more mac users I know. For commercial stuff, there is MS Office 2008 for mac, which some say is way cooler than its PC version. Then there is Apple's own suite iWork 09, which is VERY cool, and cheaper than MS Office. All these can save to MS Office, pdf, rtf and other file formats.

35ft6
01-01-2010, 03:12 AM
It won't take long. What you'll learn (maybe "realize" is a better word) is there's an underlying logic to the way Mac operates, and that things are very tactile, and after a while you'll be able to guess/anticipate how things work. You have to unlearn some of the arbitrariness of Windows. But it's almost like being in a bad relationship for 10 years, breaking up, and then dating somebody awesome. You might get suspicious and maybe even a bit scared by how smoothly things will go now that you're with a computer that is predictable, loving, reliable, and rational.

meowmix
01-01-2010, 06:00 AM
I checked out on the education store and I didn't see that price. There is a pretty good discount though that I'm just going to go through with my HS. I think it's for the majority of hs and colleges. I think most are the same I checked out a few in my city but the price for the macbooks is 899 versus the 999. Most of the lower priced laptops are about 100 off and then once you get to the 2k range its about 150 to 200 off. imacs its only about 50 though. that's all that i found.

Eh, I don't know. It might be a 50 dollars off deal, and then 200 dollars back using bing or something? When I looked it up, a lot of sights were posting about it.

meowmix
01-01-2010, 06:01 AM
I never had a Wintel computer (and I've had more than a few) that came preinstalled with a "decent word processor". Like Window's Notepad, Text Edit for mac is a plain text / rich text editor. For freeware, there is Oo for Mac, and an earlier fork of Oo called NeoOffice, which if further developed than Oo for Mac and which is preferred by more mac users I know. For commercial stuff, there is MS Office 2008 for mac, which some say is way cooler than its PC version. Then there is Apple's own suite iWork 09, which is VERY cool, and cheaper than MS Office. All these can save to MS Office, pdf, rtf and other file formats.

I've never had one that came preinstalled either, but I figured that being a mac, they'd be nice and give you one for free...

meowmix
01-01-2010, 06:04 AM
My sisters new Macbook Pro can go upto 7 hours with normal browsing and stuff. I've seen the indicator at 8 hours too.

I'm damn impressed with these Macs, my next system will definitely be a Mac.

Quality system hands down.

Last night, after I finished charging, I sat down on my couch at around 8 and started to watch to New Year stuff while trying to figure out the mac. 4 and a half hours later, after watching videos, using fb, etc, I'm still at around 50% in terms of power. At the beginning, the indicator showed around 7 hours 45 minutes. This beats the heck out of my Acer which could hold a charge, when new, for about an hour and 15 minutes. Surprisingly, my acer still holds a charge for around an hour+, despite the battery being in constant use for 3 years.

topspin
01-01-2010, 06:42 AM
^Be careful with those Mac batteries though. Some have caught on fire. Make sure there is no recall for your model of battery.

makinao
01-01-2010, 06:56 AM
^ The last major laptop battery recall due to risk of fire was in 2006. It involved not only Macs, but HP, Toshiba, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, and Fujitsu as well. The batteries in question were made by Sony.

TheLama
01-01-2010, 03:14 PM

openoffice is really for pc's.....neooffice is openoffice for Macs

CyBorg
01-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I takes a while to figure out what programs to use as equivalents to oft-used PC ones (not counting thse that come with the mac). Just use google and eventually you'll have everything.

meowmix
01-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Eh. I've already downloaded OpenOffice, so unless it starts failing on me, that's probably what I'll stick with.

And one feature that I LOVE is the built in dictionary for ALL programs. I love how the computer will automatically tell me in any program when I've misspelled a word. Makes things SOOOO much more convenient.

RealityPolice
01-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Also, here's a repository for a lot of really cool apps:

http://www.versiontracker.com/

Make sure to grab VLC and Graphic Converter; they're both indispensable.

heycal
01-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I've been forced to use those stupid Mac's on occassion. Among other things, I can't understand how you people live with not being able to 'click' by lighting touching anywhere on the keypad, but are forced to click on some specific button.

lilxjohnyy
01-01-2010, 04:34 PM
im going to wait to get my mac for college over the summer... they usually come with a discounted/free ipod touch.

CyBorg
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
im going to wait to get my mac for college over the summer... they usually come with a discounted/free ipod touch.

I believe you get a rebate on either the touch or the classic - the classic is just more expensive, so the rebate doesn't cover all of it.

That being said, the classic is much better. I have both and the touch is quite overrated and gets boring after a while.

The 'touch' function is interesting, but has its flaws. Frankly a bit of an annoyance on the bus while scrambling for mittens/umbrellas.

TheLama
01-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Eh. I've already downloaded OpenOffice, so unless it starts failing on me, that's probably what I'll stick with.

And one feature that I LOVE is the built in dictionary for ALL programs. I love how the computer will automatically tell me in any program when I've misspelled a word. Makes things SOOOO much more convenient.

neooffice's base is openoffice. Deleting programs in Mac OS is instant, unlike a PC. You just open your "Applications" folder, and drag the program into the trash. It's now gone and done. Downloading neooffice wont take but 1-2 minutes, and it opens everything, even .xls

meowmix
01-02-2010, 06:30 AM
^Seriously? That's a HECK of a lot easier than on a pc...

Topaz
01-02-2010, 06:31 AM

Welcome to mac! :) Once you've had Mac, you never go back!

TheLama
01-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Welcome to mac! :) Once you've had Mac, you never go back!

Yep! It's that easy, and Topaz is correct. It's like having sex with a gorgeous cougar--in this case, snow leopard; then, girls or woman your age will just never cut it!

Just drag the program in the trash, and it's one, just like taking the trash to the front of the driveway, and you never see it again. And how easy is it when the trash can has wheels?!

TheLama
01-02-2010, 07:18 AM

Hey! Thanks for the back-up on the other thread!

Did you apply ED? If so, where did you and are you in? If not, and you would like a little help, I always offer free advice to Chinese high school students applying to college, as it is a big part of my firms business.

During the past three years alone, all of my advisees got into the college of their choice, all private colleges, and not one is paying more than $3,700 dollars, after I helped to negotiate their finaid packages. I would be glad to help out a kid liked you.

meowmix
01-02-2010, 07:26 AM
The Lama,

I applied EA to Yale, and got deferred. I just sent out another 15 apps, so I'm pretty much done. Was not a fun break...

TheLama
01-02-2010, 07:40 AM
The Lama,

I applied EA to Yale, and got deferred. I just sent out another 15 apps, so I'm pretty much done. Was not a fun break...

There is another Chinese student on the other thread who also applied ED to Yale and got deferred, but his POV regarding that thread is not typical Chinese. BTW: One of my players who I did not help, because he attended Hunter HS in NYC, just started his first year at Yale.

Don't feel bad, this is the worst year in the history of college admission in terms of total apps.

Where else did you apply, and did you use the common app?

meowmix
01-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah, Dave333.

I did 16 total. Most were common, a few weren't. Here's my list.

Drexel (accepted to Honors w/ a 22600 scholarship per year)
Penn State (accepted to University Park)
Columbia
Cornell
USC
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
MIT
Wash U in St. Louis
Stanford
Dartmouth
Duke
Chicago
Upenn (Huntsman)
Vanderbilt

Think that's all 16.

TheLama
01-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Yeah, Dave333.

I did 16 total. Most were common, a few weren't. Here's my list.

Drexel (accepted to Honors w/ a 22600 scholarship per year)
Penn State (accepted to University Park)
Columbia
Cornell
USC
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
MIT
Wash U in St. Louis
Stanford
Dartmouth
Duke
Chicago
Upenn (Huntsman)
Vanderbilt

Think that's all 16.

Great list!

You applied to Vanderbilt....they're hunting for Northeasterners and unrepresented students of color, and on their campus, that includes us, and Jewish students. You may get a lot of money

Drexel: Are you looking to go into engineering?

You obviously can't go wrong with any of the others, although I am very partial to smaller schools, as you receive more individual benefits. The Wash U students are crazy nice, and there isn't an ugly girl on the campus. And every Dartmouth student loves it there. Be careful about Duke. And I'm sure that you know that Chicago is the quirky one of the bunch. They could be more nerdy than MIT....just saying...

All of your schools have a large Asian population--except for Duke/Vanderbilt--so you made life difficult for yourself regarding admission. Do you have an unique but outstanding EC? or are you an athlete, by any chance?

How come you didn't apply to Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin, Haverford, Swarthmore, Vassar, or Midd?

Topaz
01-02-2010, 08:12 AM
My father went to Drexel...great school, and yes, he was an engineer, too.

meowmix
01-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Great list!

You applied to Vanderbilt....they're hunting for Northeasterners and unrepresented students of color, and on their campus, that includes us, and Jewish students.

Drexel: Are you looking to go into engineering?

You obviously can't go wrong with any of the others, although I am very partial to smaller schools, as you receive more individual benefits. The Wash U students are crazy nice, and there isn't an ugly girl on the campus. And every Dartmouth student loves it there. Be careful about Duke.

How come you didn't apply to Amherst, Williams, or Midd?

For the last 3... I just figured that enough was enough. My parents wanted me to send out a few more, but since I have enough target schools, I figured that, worse comes to worst, I'll end up at USC or Wash U or Vanderbilt. Which, all things considered, isn't too bad.

I'm not certain WHAT I want to do. My resume is VERY business and economics based, due to my heavy involvement in leadership in FBLA. So, for most schools, I'm applying as an econ major. To the lower tiered schools, I applied biochem or biomedical engineering, figuring that I'd probably end up going to med route to land myself a secure future.

About Duke... every person that I know that's going there has either been a chronic lyer, a complete a-hole, or somebody just generally unpleasant.

Here's what my resume looks like (I didn't submit this version to schools, but it gives a good picture of what kind of applicant I am). It's a very broad resume, and it should paint me as an ambitious well rounded individual.

Academics
Education
Plan to graduate from Council Rock High School South June 2010.
GPA: 4.00/4.00
Rank in Class: 1/549
ETS Tests
SAT- 800 Math, 800 Critical Reading, 740 Writing
PSAT- 80 Math, 80 Critical Reading, 70 Writing
SAT II Math 2- 800
SAT II Chinese with Listening- 800
SAT II Chemistry- 790
SAT II United States History- 770
AP Chemistry (5), AP Language and Composition (5), AP United States History (5), AP Calculus BC (5-with AB subscore of 5), AP Macroeconomics (4), AP United States Government and Politics (5), AP Biology (4), AP Microeconomics (5).
Leadership Experiences
Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
National Philanthropy Councilperson on the National FBLA Treasurer's Council (2008-2009): Identified new sponsors for FBLA, promoted FBLA's partnership with March of Dimes and advanced various fundraisers.
President PA FBLA Region 12 (2008-2009): Established inter-regional communication and promoted Breathe Green environmental fundraiser.
President Council Rock High School South FBLA (2007-2009): Increased student awareness of FBLA, raised fund to support Council Rock South FBLA as well as various state projects.
Science National Honor Society
Vice President (2009-present): Work with president to conduct meetings. Keep track of members' credits.
Math National Honor Society
Treasurer (2009-present): Work with other officers to conduct meetings. Organize fundraisers for Math Honor Society. Also keep track of members' credits.
Liaison for Spanish National Honor Society
Liaison (2009-present): Keep other officers abreast of the happenings of Culture Shock Magazine.
Culture Shock Magazine
Chief Editor (2009-present): Edit/Revise all articles and approve them for publication.
Mathletes
Captain (2008-present): Providing team members with insight into problems and tactics for various competitions. Led team to 3rd place finish in Lower Bucks County regional competition.
Tennis
Captain JV Tennis team (2009): Led the team to end the season with 14-2 record.

Scholar's Bowl
President (2009-present): Recruiting and training a brand new team consisting of the top students of the senior class.
Vice President (2008-2009): Assisted the president in preparing the team to get ready for competition. Led team to quarterfinal finish at local competition.
Treasurer (2007-2008): Assisted chief officers in preparing team for local competition. Kept track of all funds for the club. Led team to semifinal finish at local competition.
Community Service
Holy Redeemer Hospital, 2006-Present
Working in both Dementia and Pharmacy Departments, preparing and serving lunch to senior citizens with Alzheimer disease, and packaging drugs and medical paraphernalia for nurses. Also serve as volunteer office manager.
Richboro Middle School MATHCOUNTS Team, 2006-2008
Coached the team with various skills and strategies. Team earned 3rd place at the local level for both years, and students advanced to states competition for both years.
Sound of Aid, 2009-Present
Secretary on the Board of Directors. Working to establish the charity and raise funds for philanthropic organizations in Pennsylvania.
Camp Invention, 2007 & 2008 summer
Counselor: Aided instructors in the classroom at Camp Invention summer camp.
Summer Experiences
PA School for Global Entrepreneurship (PSGE, formerly Governor's School), 2009
Worked with Rodale Incorporated to design a website dedicated to their environmentalism.
Named Group Leader.
Won PA Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED)Mock $5,000 Grant Competition by promoting Rodale's innovative roller crimper farm equipment.
Internship with Non-Traditional Media Co. 2007
Worked with CEO Andy Burstein to perfect the Online School Store and promote Non-Traditional Media fundraisers to schools.
Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week (PFEW) 2008
Nominated CEO of PFEW group C-2, and participated in virtual business management.
Honors and Awards
National Merit
National Merit Semifinalist 2009.
Advanced Placement Examinations
National AP Scholar 2009.
FBLA
1st place Mr. FBLA at PA FBLA Region 12 Leadership Conference
2nd place Economics at PA FBLA Region 12 Leadership Conference.
2nd place Business Math at PA FBLA Region 12 Leadership Conference.
3rd place Public Speaking I at Region 12 Leadership Conference.
9th place FBLA Policies and Procedures at PA FBLA State Leadership Conference.
10th place FBLA Creed/Code of Ethics at PA FBLA State Leadership Conference.
Membership Mania award (recruiting 10 new members).
Membership Madness award from PA FBLA (recruiting 20 new members).
Mathletes
Top scorer for Council Rock HS South Mathletes team in competitions.
Earned personal 3rd place in 2007-2008, 2008-2009 Mathletes seasons.
Piano
Merit scholarship from Settlement Music School 2007-present.
Certified level 5 pianist (2nd highest level) from Settlement Music School.
Selected to play in Settlement Music School's Annual Concert and in numerous recitals and performances at the school.
Will play one hour solo senior recital January 9, 2010.
American Math Competition
Council Rock High School South Top Scorer 2008, 2009
National Honor Society
Member of the society
Delaware Valley Science Council
Selected as a finalist

I also sent in a music supplement for all schools. My teacher's a Juliard grad. At my music school, one of the board members also serves on the board at Curtis... He basically told me that if I wanted to go into music, I should contact him and he'd get me in. I think (just me) that my supplement was pretty good.

heycal
01-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Yep! It's that easy, and Topaz is correct. It's like having sex with a gorgeous cougar--in this case, snow leopard; then, girls or woman your age will just never cut it!

When I was young, I liked older women. Now that I'm 47, I realize how much hotter younger ones are as general rule in terms of looks and body. So take my advice, boys: Date all the young women you can. When you yourself reach your 40's, those cougars will still be available to you, but most of those young women whom you take for granted now will not be.

Fearsome Forehand
01-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Meow, no one is going to accuse you of being an underachiever. ;o)

You have to be comfortable with your choice. But, you should also factor in that if you don't like school x, it is a simple matter to transfer to school y. As well, a simple matter to change one's major.

I am surprised, given your class rank and SAT scores, that you didn't receive more than one full academic scholarship offer. Another victim of reverse discrimination no doubt. The schools you applied to already have "too many" applicants of asian descent. Not fair to you but that is the system.

Drexel is a good school. And going there would mean 100K+ less expenditure/debt for you or your parents when you graduate, Mr. Economics Major. Not a small matter. It is around Philly if memory serves so close to your home. Believe me, it is nice to go home for the occasional weekend to escape the dorm madness, see the parents, have some privacy, get your laundry done and have access to home cooking and a refrigerator with food in it.

What happened to the tennis scholarship? ;o)

meowmix
01-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Yup, it's about a 30 minute train ride away from me. I think Drexel said something along the lines of "We'll consider you for additional scholarships later".

TheLama
01-02-2010, 08:52 AM
For the last 3... I just figured that enough was enough. My parents wanted me to send out a few more, but since I have enough target schools, I figured that, worse comes to worst, I'll end up at USC or Wash U or Vanderbilt. Which, all things considered, isn't too bad.

I'm not certain WHAT I want to do. My resume is VERY business and economics based, due to my heavy involvement in leadership in FBLA. So, for most schools, I'm applying as an econ major. To the lower tiered schools, I applied biochem or biomedical engineering, figuring that I'd probably end up going to med route to land myself a secure future.

About Duke... every person that I know that's going there has either been a chronic lyer, a complete a-hole, or somebody just generally unpleasant.

Here's what my resume looks like (I didn't submit this version to schools, but it gives a good picture of what kind of applicant I am). It's a very broad resume, and it should paint me as an ambitious well rounded individual.

Academics
Education
Plan to graduate from Council Rock High School South June 2010.
GPA: 4.00/4.00
Rank in Class: 1/549
ETS Tests
SAT- 800 Math, 800 Critical Reading, 740 Writing
PSAT- 80 Math, 80 Critical Reading, 70 Writing
SAT II Math 2- 800
SAT II Chinese with Listening- 800
SAT II Chemistry- 790
SAT II United States History- 770
AP Chemistry (5), AP Language and Composition (5), AP United States History (5), AP Calculus BC (5-with AB subscore of 5), AP Macroeconomics (4), AP United States Government and Politics (5), AP Biology (4), AP Microeconomics (5).
Leadership Experiences
Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
National Philanthropy Councilperson on the National FBLA Treasurer's Council (2008-2009): Identified new sponsors for FBLA, promoted FBLA's partnership with March of Dimes and advanced various fundraisers.
President PA FBLA Region 12 (2008-2009): Established inter-regional communication and promoted Breathe Green environmental fundraiser.
President Council Rock High School South FBLA (2007-2009): Increased student awareness of FBLA, raised fund to support Council Rock South FBLA as well as various state projects.
Science National Honor Society
Vice President (2009-present): Work with president to conduct meetings. Keep track of members' credits.
Math National Honor Society
Treasurer (2009-present): Work with other officers to conduct meetings. Organize fundraisers for Math Honor Society. Also keep track of members' credits.
Liaison for Spanish National Honor Society
Liaison (2009-present): Keep other officers abreast of the happenings of Culture Shock Magazine.
Culture Shock Magazine
Chief Editor (2009-present): Edit/Revise all articles and approve them for publication.
Mathletes
Captain (2008-present): Providing team members with insight into problems and tactics for various competitions. Led team to 3rd place finish in Lower Bucks County regional competition.
Tennis
Captain JV Tennis team (2009): Led the team to end the season with 14-2 record.

Scholar's Bowl
President (2009-present): Recruiting and training a brand new team consisting of the top students of the senior class.
Vice President (2008-2009): Assisted the president in preparing the team to get ready for competition. Led team to quarterfinal finish at local competition.
Treasurer (2007-2008): Assisted chief officers in preparing team for local competition. Kept track of all funds for the club. Led team to semifinal finish at local competition.
Community Service
Holy Redeemer Hospital, 2006-Present
Working in both Dementia and Pharmacy Departments, preparing and serving lunch to senior citizens with Alzheimer disease, and packaging drugs and medical paraphernalia for nurses. Also serve as volunteer office manager.
Richboro Middle School MATHCOUNTS Team, 2006-2008
Coached the team with various skills and strategies. Team earned 3rd place at the local level for both years, and students advanced to states competition for both years.
Sound of Aid, 2009-Present
Secretary on the Board of Directors. Working to establish the charity and raise funds for philanthropic organizations in Pennsylvania.
Camp Invention, 2007 & 2008 summer
Counselor: Aided instructors in the classroom at Camp Invention summer camp.
Summer Experiences
PA School for Global Entrepreneurship (PSGE, formerly Governor's School), 2009
Worked with Rodale Incorporated to design a website dedicated to their environmentalism.
Named Group Leader.
Won PA Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED)Mock $5,000 Grant Competition by promoting Rodale's innovative roller crimper farm equipment.
Internship with Non-Traditional Media Co. 2007
Worked with CEO Andy Burstein to perfect the Online School Store and promote Non-Traditional Media fundraisers to schools.
Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week (PFEW) 2008
Nominated CEO of PFEW group C-2, and participated in virtual business management.
Honors and Awards
National Merit
National Merit Semifinalist 2009.
Advanced Placement Examinations
National AP Scholar 2009.
FBLA
1st place Mr. FBLA at PA FBLA Region 12 Leadership Conference
2nd place Economics at PA FBLA Region 12 Leadership Conference.
2nd place Business Math at PA FBLA Region 12 Leadership Conference.
3rd place Public Speaking I at Region 12 Leadership Conference.
9th place FBLA Policies and Procedures at PA FBLA State Leadership Conference.
10th place FBLA Creed/Code of Ethics at PA FBLA State Leadership Conference.
Membership Mania award (recruiting 10 new members).
Membership Madness award from PA FBLA (recruiting 20 new members).
Mathletes
Top scorer for Council Rock HS South Mathletes team in competitions.
Earned personal 3rd place in 2007-2008, 2008-2009 Mathletes seasons.
Piano
Merit scholarship from Settlement Music School 2007-present.
Certified level 5 pianist (2nd highest level) from Settlement Music School.
Selected to play in Settlement Music School's Annual Concert and in numerous recitals and performances at the school.
Will play one hour solo senior recital January 9, 2010.
American Math Competition
Council Rock High School South Top Scorer 2008, 2009
National Honor Society
Member of the society
Delaware Valley Science Council
Selected as a finalist

I also sent in a music supplement for all schools. My teacher's a Juliard grad. At my music school, one of the board members also serves on the board at Curtis... He basically told me that if I wanted to go into music, I should contact him and he'd get me in. I think (just me) that my supplement was pretty good.

Awesome, absolutely incredible!

Your essay and how they wish to balance the class will be the issue, as you belong in everyone of those institutions. Your ethnicity, will not help, except for Vanderbilt, and possibly Duke. Your parents must be very, very, proud that you are the valedictorian!

One thing: Chinese parents always transfer the Chinese educational system here, and it doesn't work. It did, 35 years ago when I applied, and because of that, I attended the #1 Industrial Design school in the nation, instead of Princeton or Cornell, as I was supposed to take over the family consulting design business in Princeton. It was expected of me as a 1.5 generation, to represent the family, and it would have still been if I were an ABC.

But all of that was a big mistake, because I left college during my senior year to become a pro tennis player, and now as a coach and manager, I have never looked back. Therefore, an Ivy degree would have served me better, since, only ID consultants respect the college that I attended, and the average person who I do business with, either here or in China, does not recognize its value, although it is still Top 3 in the country. Fortunately, I got to play and coach for China, so my folks obviously came around.

With that being said, are you an ABC, or are you 1.5 generation Chinese-American?

Either way, you are not expected to know what you want, since you were raised here, and that probably drives your parents a little nuts. I assume, that is why you did not apply to any liberal arts colleges. However, they give you much more attention, and professor recommendations, plus access to publishing research with said professors. Also, since Asians are not as well represented, precisely because of what I just mentioned above, your admission chances and finaid/scholarships are much greater. Think about it, you have the time, since some deadlines are 1/15.

Was it tough growing-up in that part of PA?

TheLama
01-02-2010, 08:58 AM
When I was young, I liked older women. Now that I'm 47, I realize how much hotter younger ones are as general rule in terms of looks and body. So take my advice, son: Date all the young women you can. When you yourself reach your 40's, those cougars will still be available to you, but most of those young women whom you take for granted now will not be.

You train with cougars, and play with does. That's what I tell my players.

And the younger women....come'on now, they could be your daughter! Whenever I used to visit my daughter at college--she's now 24--all I would see was kids. It's also healthier and legally safer for you to look at it that way!

heycal
01-02-2010, 09:01 AM
You train with cougars, and play with does. That's what I tell my players.

I'll allow it.

Fearsome Forehand
01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Yup, it's about a 30 minute train ride away from me. I think Drexel said something along the lines of "We'll consider you for additional scholarships later".

Having been a free ride full academic scholarship honors program graduate will be yet another feather in your cap when you apply to grad school. You will get straight A's in college and ace the grad school tests so you should have you pick of grad programs. Whatever choice you make, it will be fine. Just avoid crazy girls; not worth the grief no matter how hot they are. ;o)

TheLama
01-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Having been a free ride full academic scholarship honors program graduate will be yet another feather in your cap when you apply to grad school. You will get straight A's in college and ace the grad school tests so you should have you pick of grad programs. Whatever choice you make, it will be fine. Just avoid crazy girls; not worth the grief no matter how hot they are. ;o)

Don't worry, he's Chinese. We are bred to keep our eyes on the prize:

Get an advanced degree; get a job; and then, three days later, you parents want to know why you don't have a girlfriend, ask when are you getting married, and where are their grandchildren.

But go near the girls before the degree, fugetaboutit!

TheLama
01-02-2010, 06:57 PM

This is a snippet from the NY Times:

St. Michael’s, like other colleges, has adapted its curriculum to reflect demand. The college had to create new sections of chemistry labs and calculus on the spot during summer registration, and it raised the cap on the number of students in a biology lab. “I’d say, given the vagaries of the business cycle, people are looking for things that they know will always be needed — accountants, scientists, mathematicians,” says Jeffrey A. Trumbower, dean of the college. “Those also happen to be some of the most challenging majors academically, so we’ll see how these trends hold up.”

Still, Dr. Neuhauser finds the careerism troubling. “I think people change a great deal between 18 and 22,” he says. “The intimate environment small liberal arts colleges provide is a great place to grow up. But there’s no question that smacks of some measure of elitism now.”

There’s evidence, though, that employers also don’t want students specializing too soon. The Association of American Colleges and Universities recently asked employers who hire at least 25 percent of their workforce from two- or four-year colleges what they want institutions to teach. The answers did not suggest a narrow focus. Instead, 89 percent said they wanted more emphasis on “the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing,” 81 percent asked for better “critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills” and 70 percent were looking for “the ability to innovate and be creative.”

“It’s not about what you should major in, but that no matter what you major in, you need good writing skills and good speaking skills,” says Debra Humphreys, a vice president at the association.