PDA

View Full Version : footwork - working in progress (video)

albesca
12-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Little signals of right footwork .. thanks to who have been helpful,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBgFS_8ithI

nothing to say to who have made fun of me rather than help.

Ciao
Alberto

Kostas
12-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Work on staying more on your toes...

You're very flat-footed most of the time even when you're moving to a ball.

On your forehand...try to concentrate on making contact out in front of you. You hit many forehands too far into your body. If you'll notice the shots you make contact with out in front of your body are some of your best shots.

albesca
12-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Work on staying more on your toes...

You're very flat-footed most of the time even when you're moving to a ball.

On your forehand...try to concentrate on making contact out in front of you. You hit many forehands too far into your body. If you'll notice the shots you make contact with out in front of your body are some of your best shots.

thank you, whould you say me the video timeline i can see the good contact and the bad one ?
Ciao
Alberto

LeeD
12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Seems to me like you're too upright, too stiff, don't get down to reach the balls, and waste a lot of little steps for the sake of...little steps.
But who can really tell? Balls are slow, basically hit up the middle, and you don't need to move. Lots of vids showing poor non interested technique of Federer and Youzny, Murray and Isner. Oh oh, Isner is interested, he just can't move, sorry.
We'd need vids of you hitting with a real hitting partner, who's trying to hit for real, not feeding you slow high balls. Or a match vid, where you have to try your best.

Kostas
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Sure...your first forehand (at 0:06) you make contact when the ball is almost as deep as your right leg. This causes you to make contact with the racquet face really open which caused the ball to sail on you.

Your 2nd forehand at 0:10 is the same thing.

0:18 - this is slightly better but you still popped the ball up a bit.

0:22 - Even though it looks like you hit the net with this ball the point of contact was much better (out in front).

0:44 - This was a nice shot...

0:53, 0:58 and 1:01 were all better shots also.

1:12 - Best shot in the video

albesca
12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Seems to me like you're too upright, too stiff, don't get down to reach the balls, and waste a lot of little steps for the sake of...little steps.
But who can really tell? Balls are slow, basically hit up the middle, and you don't need to move. Lots of vids showing poor non interested technique of Federer and Youzny, Murray and Isner. Oh oh, Isner is interested, he just can't move, sorry.
We'd need vids of you hitting with a real hitting partner, who's trying to hit for real, not feeding you slow high balls. Or a match vid, where you have to try your best.

i am a beginner with footwork, so i am trying it in a relaxed rally.
thank you.

albesca
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Sure...your first forehand (at 0:06) you make contact when the ball is almost as deep as your right leg. This causes you to make contact with the racquet face really open which caused the ball to sail on you.

Your 2nd forehand at 0:10 is the same thing.

0:18 - this is slightly better but you still popped the ball up a bit.

0:22 - Even though it looks like you hit the net with this ball the point of contact was much better (out in front).

0:44 - This was a nice shot...

0:53, 0:58 and 1:01 were all better shots also.

1:12 - Best shot in the video

it was a progression workout... towards the end of the training
I began to feel good the supports on the ground..
Thank you Kostas, your advises are very helpful.. i will work on it.

Ciao
Alberto

gzhpcu
12-31-2009, 05:11 AM
I think you are coming along fine Alberto. It takes a while to get the footwork in place.

It is tiring to keep on your toes all the time. There are some helpful exercises for the essential areas of strength for tennis players are the calf and ankle. Both provide the explosive footwork that is necessary for tennis.

All you need to exercise these is a step. Simple find a step and position your toes on the step with your heel hanging off into the air. The less of your foot is on the step, the more difficult (and beneficial) the exercise will be. Once you are in position, simply do toe raises for about 30 repetitions. You may want to break this up into 3 sets of 10 repetitions

albesca
12-31-2009, 05:46 AM
I think you are coming along fine Alberto. It takes a while to get the footwork in place.

It is tiring to keep on your toes all the time. There are some helpful exercises for the essential areas of strength for tennis players are the calf and ankle. Both provide the explosive footwork that is necessary for tennis.

All you need to exercise these is a step. Simple find a step and position your toes on the step with your heel hanging off into the air. The less of your foot is on the step, the more difficult (and beneficial) the exercise will be. Once you are in position, simply do toe raises for about 30 repetitions. You may want to break this up into 3 sets of 10 repetitions

Thank you gzhpcu, i will work on it.
My dubt was: Stepping with heels up, leaving the task of moving only by calves, or go down to the groun d with the heel to take advantage of the
quatriceps ? This is the first time i'n concentrating seriously to step every time ... I think that if I continue so, my legs in a few months "fit" this work and the whole movement would have benefit.

Ciao
Alberto

gzhpcu
12-31-2009, 06:07 AM
I would say toe raises but starting below the level of the step, since this is what you want to strengthen and corresponds to "staying on your toes"...

Buon anno nuovo e tante belle ore di tennis per il 2010! :-)

albesca
12-31-2009, 06:36 AM
I would say toe raises but starting below the level of the step, since this is what you want to strengthen and corresponds to "staying on your toes"...

Buon anno nuovo e tante belle ore di tennis per il 2010! :-)

Buon anno anche a te e la tua famiglia.
Grazie
Ciao
alberto

W Cats
01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Alberto,

Sometimes when you have to move back to fit a FH, your stance gets narrow and affects your balance. Might try widening it a bit. On your backhand you have a tendancy to move your hand forward a bit when you initially turn sideways this may or may not cause you to be late on the BH sometimes. Just leave your hand at the ready postion as you begin to turn sideway changing to a BH grip instead of moving the hand forwardbefore you start your take back.

Ciao

albesca
01-04-2010, 12:06 PM
You have right, thank you. i'm working on widening the feet ...
Ciao
Alberto