PDA

View Full Version : Strange Hand Pain

ximian
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
So I've played tennis for a long time. And I've seen the gambit of tennis injuries. Tendinitis, Shoulder, knee, feet, wrist, back, you name it. Strange thing is, I'm completely healthy and ready for season save one thing:

A strange pain in the tendons in my hand. Imagine grabbing all four of your fingers and, while keeping them straight, pulling them all back as if you're about to crack them. There is a tendon that runs across the base of your fingers and that, for some reason, is painful.

Now try making a fist, right about when your fingers make contact with your palm, that same tendon starts hurting again. And it's to the point where I cannot grip anything very strongly with my right hand. It hurts the most on my forehand.

It started about a month or so ago after I took a bit of a layoff from tennis. I was hitting for the first time and two hours or so into it my hand started to feel sore. If I give it rest, it feels better and I can play pretty much pain free for a day or so.

Possible causes: Handwriting notes for class this term. It also started right when the weather got pretty cold and the balls got a bit heavier and harder.

I don't know what this is, but I hope it's not serious. It does not feel like tendinitis or any muscle tear. Just feels like a sore tendon that won't heal. wtf?

Anyone had this before?

LeeD
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
You might do a search on something like that I posted for my base of the ring finger, back of the hand pain.
Mine's been around for maybe 6 years, hasn't gone away, and likely won't, as I'm a windsurfing and garderner besides tennis player.