PDA

View Full Version : how does loosening the wrist help the forehand

minisellars
12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
hi i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the advantages are of loosening the wrist when playing a topspin forehand and if there are any other tips you could give me on generating more topspin

12-30-2009, 03:11 PM
hi i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the advantages are of loosening the wrist when playing a topspin forehand and if there are any other tips you could give me on generating more topspin

I don't agree that loosening will help unless your wrist is very rigid or way too firm, so guess I can't help you here.
good luck,

LeeD
12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
While a loose forehand can contribute to lots of spin, a tighter grip might actually be more accurate in terms of placement and depth.
So once again, it depends.
Loose wrist, more whip, if you hit whippy strokes. You'd need SW or W grips, and lots of control with extreme Eastern grips, but maybe not for conti grips unless you are the exception, which if you are, you won't be asking this question because you're a pro.

minisellars
12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
ok thanks do you know of any other contributing factors towards adding topspin

LeeD
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Swing faster, the end result of good kinetic chain, employing the whole body from ankles on upwards to fingers.

user92626
12-30-2009, 08:12 PM
The more I think about it, the more it's like...holding a stick and whacking it really hard and fast. You need a lot of strength for it and don't get hurt from trying something too weird. Think about it. How would one get hurt from playing and whacking a stick?

Blake0
12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Loosening the wrist is used to get more whip in shots. But, it's not always a good thing. If you're wrist snapping or using your wrist wrong in any other way, it'll cause major inconsistency and shanks. I'd prefer you to "educate" your wrist before you start loosening up your wrist too much.

First off, don't even worry about your wrist if your normal forehand isn't consistent or technique is off. It'll just add to the problems and make it a lot worse. Also don't forget to incorporate your arm into the shot too, a lot of players that start using the wrist forget to incorporate the arm as part of the shot and end up twisting the wrist..like turning a door knob.. at contact. Another tendency is snapping the wrist and dinking it over.

Actually the wrist is almost locked in the layed back position at contact. Hence the "double bend forehand". Even straight arm forehands have a bend at the wrist.

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/

Watch the first 3 videos (last ones a backhand) on this page. Freeze every shot at contact, and notice the layed back position in every forehand. The wrist only releases after contact with the ball, and notice how none of the wrists snap forward.

Basically you loosen the wrist to make it act as a hinge, to make you lead the stroke with the wrist and the hand/racket is trailing behind, so at contact your wrist is layed back, because if it isn't your shots will start spraying everywhere.