PDA

View Full Version : tennis balls change due to weather?

lawlitssoo1n
12-30-2009, 04:28 PM
lately the weather's been changing up, and it's been a lot colder at night, and that is usually when i play.
do the balls get softer in the cold? and harder in the heat?

i remeber someone telling me, but i just wanted to make sure. so i don't go buying a new case of tennis balls cuz they feel a little mushy

volusiano
12-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes, they may get a little softer when colder, but how do really know it's because of the cold or because they already started losing air inside? Or it can be a combination of both...

Storm_Kyori
01-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I always wondered about that. I hear on interviews that some pros go higher it it's hotter something like that. I think I heard Isner say that the ball flies faster thru the air and he went up a few pounds. I wouldn't want to change my setup, I'd rather just adjust myself to the climate, but then I again I don't hit like they do.

Federerkblade
01-02-2010, 07:01 AM
played with balls which had been left outside in the cold and they were so hard , it was unreal very hard to hit the ball

Fedace
01-02-2010, 07:08 AM
lately the weather's been changing up, and it's been a lot colder at night, and that is usually when i play.
do the balls get softer in the cold? and harder in the heat?

i remeber someone telling me, but i just wanted to make sure. so i don't go buying a new case of tennis balls cuz they feel a little mushy

Correct,, they lose some air and doesn't fly as much. they will probably land shorter in cold weather. but what about the strings ?

rich s
01-02-2010, 07:42 AM
the colder environment will cause the air inside the ball to contract and the internal pressure to decrease.... additionally the rubber gets harder/stiffer as a result the comibination of the two make for a ball that has reduced performance....

in a warm environment the opposite occurs.... the air in the ball expands and increases the internal pressure.... the rubber is softer and more pliable and the combinatin of the two makes for balls that are more lively.....

Green374
01-02-2010, 07:43 AM
The balls will bounce and fly low. I was playing sets in like 47 degrees and the balls bounced really low.

Richie Rich
01-02-2010, 10:38 AM
the colder environment will cause the air inside the ball to contract and the internal pressure to decrease.... additionally the rubber gets harder/stiffer as a result the comibination of the two make for a ball that has reduced performance....

in a warm environment the opposite occurs.... the air in the ball expands and increases the internal pressure.... the rubber is softer and more pliable and the combinatin of the two makes for balls that are more lively.....

beat me to it - this is correct

lawlitssoo1n
01-02-2010, 09:10 PM
played today in high 70's weather and the balls were a lot harder

charliefedererer
01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Anyone that plays in the cold should use pressureless balls.

(For anyone who took chemistry and thought it was useless, finally here is a use! PV=nRT. So for pressurized balls, as the temperature falls, so does the internal pressure. And when the temperature falls a lot, the pressure falls a lot. To the point that barely bounce.)

Blade0324
01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I find that the balls get much harder as the temperature is lower and they are softer and bounce much better in warmer temps.