PDA

View Full Version : What Head Radical is best

Pat B
12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I have been playing with the Flexpoint for the past five years, it has suddenly started pinging, thinking it was cracked I bought a Microgel (both radical MP), I also hear pinging from that racquet which seems to be worse than the flexpoint. I do use a dampener and have the same string and tension I have always used. Do I now try the Youtek, I want a nice thud from the racquet like I used to get from the flexpoint. Also what does L4 and L5 mean on the throat of two different racquets. I know it is swingstyle but what is the difference between the L4 and the L5?

rjg007
12-31-2009, 07:50 AM
To be honest there is probably not that much difference between an L4 and L5 swing style, its just what comfy. I use the Youtek Radical MP and its a great racket, I have added weight to it. As for the noise you are talking about, the Youtek does ping a lot if you don't use a vibration dampener. I use one it makes a nice noise when you hit the ball. Hope this helps.

adista4
12-31-2009, 08:24 AM
older radical frames...like the bumblebee and the zebra are the best radicals I've ever hit with

adista4
12-31-2009, 08:25 AM
L4 means stands for the lenght of the swing...L6 is the longest swing

Pat B
12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks for clearing up the L4 meaning. I did play with the microgel again today and the pinging isn't as bad, it does have great control.

bieker
12-31-2009, 09:17 PM
The LM is nice, cheap, and readily available. With a vib damp there is no ping, but without I have never tried.

TnTBigman
01-01-2010, 08:14 AM
hmm....I'd give an edge to the HEAD Radical Tour over the Ti. Radical. From what I remember, the Tour had a nice muted feel to it with nice heft. Striking the ball was comfortable. The Ti Rad Mid/OS was much more managable at the net and an overall great doubles racquet. I stoped using Radicals up to the LM line.

OliverSimon
01-01-2010, 08:12 PM
The TI Radical is my favorite.

BlackGolden
01-03-2010, 10:16 AM
IMO the Intelligence Radical Midplus (Made in Austria ) aka the I.radical
was a nice frame. Good at most everything and nice pure and clean feel of the ball ( not the metallic tinny 'artifical' touch of the LM range radicals at all)

Pat B
01-05-2010, 04:09 PM
What is the deal with racquets being made in China. I just bought a radical flexpoint on e-bay, what a mistake. I noticed a lot of differences, when I looked at the butt of the racquet it said made in China, the flexpoint of five years ago was not. Maybe Head and any other manufacturer of racquets coming out of China need to hear more complaints.

ace0001a
01-05-2010, 11:11 PM
What is the deal with racquets being made in China. I just bought a radical flexpoint on e-bay, what a mistake. I noticed a lot of differences, when I looked at the butt of the racquet it said made in China, the flexpoint of five years ago was not. Maybe Head and any other manufacturer of racquets coming out of China need to hear more complaints.

To be fair, you really can't compare your China made FXP Radical of a much later production batch to the earlier European made batches. There's really nothing wrong with the racquets made in China (unless they're fake). Even pro stock Head racquets are made in China these days, albeit they're then sent to Austria to be finished. It is probably fair to believe that the manufacturing tolerances for racquets made in China are looser than they were in Austria, but I think the difference would only be slight. I've played with two Liquidmetal Radical OS racquets where one says "Made in Czech Republic" and the other says "Made in China" that I didn't notice a difference from. I think it just depends as I'm sure you could've come across an FXP Radical made in China that could feel closer to your made in Europe ones than the one you got. As for the newer ones starting from the Microgel Line, you really don't have a choice of where they're made. I haven't noticed any complaints about the consumer Microgel and Youtek Radicals being called infererior quality from people who actually use them.

As for the topic, I'd say I still like the classic Radicals the best. All the ones made from 1993-98 to me are still great and I wish Head would bring them back in some way...come out with a "Radical Classic" line.

ChuDat
01-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Liquidmetal Radical Tour

origmarm
01-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Liquidmetal Radical Tour

This is a great one but I still prefer the iRadical, very good. I played with the Bumblebee a long time ago and that was a close second.

kalic
01-06-2010, 05:16 AM
older radical frames...like the bumblebee and the zebra are the best radicals I've ever hit with

+1
Next generations feels like a cheap toys compared to bumblebee and twintube.

ChuDat
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
This is a great one but I still prefer the iRadical, very good. I played with the Bumblebee a long time ago and that was a close second.

The I.Radical was nice, especially with a CAP and lead under it.

Pat B
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I like the idea of a "Radical Classic" line of racquets. Bring back the i radical and the Ti radical, they would make a lot of people very happy.