PDA

View Full Version : head graphite edge vs max 200g

Fed Kennedy
12-30-2009, 10:01 PM
For all you classic hitters out there, how do these compare in playability?

Virginia
12-31-2009, 02:05 AM
Both are amazing - but quite different.

Fed Kennedy
12-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Can you elaborate on that? I recently acquired a graphite edge. It is sweet. So soft, yet powerful. It has 18 mains but the pattern is open. So cool. The price to performance ratio on this stick is awesome. Now I really want to try a 200g to compare. The weight/balance seems similar but the mac factor/ grpahil injection makes them a little pricier...
Which one of these is more powerful?

Virginia
12-31-2009, 10:43 AM
There's not a lot of power in the 200G per se, but having said that, if you swing hard and fast, the power increases considerably. It's a very flexible racquet and the closest thing to wood you'll ever find. The composition of the 200G is unique and unlikely to ever be duplicated.

The Graphite Edge, as you've already discovered, feels really good, but it's more in line with other great graphites.

retrowagen
12-31-2009, 12:55 PM
They're both really good all-round frames, both a bit on the flexy side (especially by modern standards), and both require some precision and concentration to operate well. I'd say the Edge feels stiffer on the first outing, but after a few hours' hitting with each, you might feel as though the Max 200g was the better hitman's tool. The Graphite Edge is a very workman-like frame; does everything quite well and is very agreeable overall with a friendly feel and wouldn't hold anyone back, but IMHO, the Max 200g goes one step further and rewards the advanced player (of any style) with that extra something special.

I find it really hard to describe in more specific terms than that - and it should be borne in mind that any assessment of a racquet is based on one's own experiences, style, preferences, and prejudices...

And I wonder why everyone seems to identify the Max 200g with Mac, and not so much with Steffi Graf. Overall, the model won more Slams (including her Grand Slam) and tournament victories in her right hand than in Mac's left. Admittedly, though, he was the first big name pro to use the model.

jimbo333
01-01-2010, 11:00 AM
They're both really good all-round frames, both a bit on the flexy side (especially by modern standards), and both require some precision and concentration to operate well. I'd say the Edge feels stiffer on the first outing, but after a few hours' hitting with each, you might feel as though the Max 200g was the better hitman's tool. The Graphite Edge is a very workman-like frame; does everything quite well and is very agreeable overall with a friendly feel and wouldn't hold anyone back, but IMHO, the Max 200g goes one step further and rewards the advanced player (of any style) with that extra something special.

I find it really hard to describe in more specific terms than that - and it should be borne in mind that any assessment of a racquet is based on one's own experiences, style, preferences, and prejudices...

And I wonder why everyone seems to identify the Max 200g with Mac, and not so much with Steffi Graf. Overall, the model won more Slams (including her Grand Slam) and tournament victories in her right hand than in Mac's left. Admittedly, though, he was the first big name pro to use the model.

Yes, of course you are completely correct, but Mens tennis had a higher profile then as it does now unfortunately!

Fed Kennedy
01-12-2010, 01:49 AM
I finally got to hit with a max 200g...dude. Gah.
I think the graphite edge is awesome but I can see why max 200g go for six times the price.
It took me 20 minutes to dial it in...at first I was launching everything. My hitting partner was speechless. He was getting so sweaty. What a wierd frame! The ultimate counterpunching classic? It seemed the less I tried the heavier the shot? After an hour I felt like I was swinging in slow motion. I know I am two and a half decades late to the party but cheers, guys.
Also: the gut is ready to go after only an hour and a half--by the looks of it I've got 15min left...I need to restring with something more durable: open to all suggestions...

jimbo333
01-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Yes, the Max200G is an absolutely amazing racquet:)

No other racquet, has such great touch and control for volleys; and then can generate such power with control from the baseline!

It's the way it's made, and never have the words "they don't make them like that any more" been so true:)

ace0001a
01-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Yes, the Max200G is an absolutely amazing racquet:)

No other racquet, has such great touch and control for volleys; and then can generate such power with control from the baseline!

It's the way it's made, and never have the words "they don't make them like that any more" been so true:)

Yeah I remember watching Johnny Mac and Stefanie Graf wield that racquet and use if effectively. I also remember seeing on the local tennis courts when I was in high school back in the late late '80s and early '90s. I would agree that they definitely don't make racquets like that anymore.

Hey Fed Kennedy, I tried emailing you on your racquets for sale. Please respond when you get a chance, thanks.

shadowrtype
01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I've used both on and off one summer and found the flex of the 200g more comfortable. Their head sizes are similar but the Edge just seemed to feel like it was bigger. Maybe it was the string pattern or the more oval shape. I use mostly flat strokes so couldn't really take advantage of the Edge's more open pattern, but I bet it could generate more topspin than the 200g. It definitely can put some bite on the slice backhands. I had my BEST slice backhand using the Edge.

The Edge hit a great ball, but there was just quite a lot more pop from the 200g from the baseline. The feel on the volleys were another factor for me giving up on the Edge. Sure I could hit a crazy slice approach, but it just couldn't put away or punch the volley deep enough to make it count. The Max 200G just gives you the most positive feedback at the net to negate anything else I enjoyed about the Edge. They both have the greatest feel of non-wood racquets, but the 200g has that extra magic you willl not find anywhere else.

MichaelChang
01-12-2010, 09:59 AM
But the 200g is just too costly today to acquire one. Wish there is a racket rental service that one can lease a racket for like $2/hour etc lol.

shadowrtype
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
But the 200g is just too costly today to acquire one. Wish there is a racket rental service that one can lease a racket for like $2/hour etc lol.

Even if there were such service you wouldn't find any Classics. I certainly wouldn't want anyone touching my babies!

Fed Kennedy
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
For what you get, I think market rate on 200gs is more than fair. Just based on sheer comfort. I wonder if the magic will go away when the gut breaks? I am clueless on what to string this thing with.

Virginia
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Makes me more grateful than ever for my good luck in getting ten of these beauties for an average of $25 each! They're all in good condition too, four of them actually mint.

Remind me to show you them, jimbo, when you visit. :)

joe sch
01-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Probably because Mac endorsed the 200g's with both play and his signature. Steffi did win a gold grand slam with the 200g and even has that special 200g model associated with that achievement which will probably Never be achieved again.

joe sch
01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
For what you get, I think market rate on 200gs is more than fair. Just based on sheer comfort. I wonder if the magic will go away when the gut breaks? I am clueless on what to string this thing with.

Natural gut is the best for the 200g, as is the case for wood rackets as well. The 200g is made soo solid that it will last many years for most players, unlike most of todays air shells. In this respect alone, it is a bargain, like most other old school graphite rackets. It should also have some appreciation and collector value so compared to the price for a modern racket, its a steal :)

psp2
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Fed, I'm glad you're liking the Max200g. I strung yours with Pacific Tough gut/ SPPP 17L at fairly low tension (40's I recall).

I have strung that same frame with:

1. full SPPP 17L at 40lbs. (felt great, amazing spin)
2. Ashaway 18g/ SPPP 17L at 39/42 lbs. (very crisp, good power, amazing spin)
3. your current setup (great power, comfortable string bed feel, excellent pocketing)
4. x1 biphase 18g at 50lbs. (nice pocketing, ample power, good "bite" on the ball)

As you can tell, I like low tension. It does wonders for power and feel. Hope you find your perfect string setup.....

Fed Kennedy
01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Right on psp2! Thanks for that info. Performance wise I loved it but it already broke after 2 hours...I think gut is out for this reason. I also like low tensions might try out some of those soft signum polys. Awesome frame!