PDA

View Full Version : Reoccuring knee injury?

Kaz00
12-30-2009, 10:19 PM
well ive been having this knee injury since august and it only happens before and after im on the court

before i get to the court my knees will hurt really bad like my knee cap is rubbing against something and after it feels the same but while im playing tennis i dont feel any pain at all. i asked my dad about it cuz he used to be a medic in the army and he said ive been working too hard and never rest (which is partially true) then i laid off tennis from a month and last week i played for an hr and then my knee pain came back when i got home. now its the off season but high school season is almost here and im afraid my knee injury might get worse and worse because this year we are starting in mid january with conditioning, help!!!

star 5 15
12-31-2009, 12:00 AM
well ive been having this knee injury since august and it only happens before and after im on the court

before i get to the court my knees will hurt really bad like my knee cap is rubbing against something and after it feels the same but while im playing tennis i dont feel any pain at all. i asked my dad about it cuz he used to be a medic in the army and he said ive been working too hard and never rest (which is partially true) then i laid off tennis from a month and last week i played for an hr and then my knee pain came back when i got home. now its the off season but high school season is almost here and im afraid my knee injury might get worse and worse because this year we are starting in mid january with conditioning, help!!!

I would see and orthopedic doctor. I'm not saying your dad doesn't know what he's talking about by any means but going to the doctor would be the smartest thing.

mike53
12-31-2009, 07:36 AM
but while im playing tennis i dont feel any pain at all

Sounds like the pain goes away when you are completely warmed up. Does it go away during other exercise like jogging or cycling?

Cindysphinx
12-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Go see an orthopedic surgeon right away.

I once had chondropalacia patella. It felt like what you describe. Basically, it is a problem with kneecap alignment/tracking. On Xray, doc could see the knee cap tilted off to the side. It was rubbing something it shouldn't rub. Had this continued, it could have rubbed through the cartilage to the bone and there's no fixing that.

OS put me in physical therapy to strengthen some muscles and stretch others. It took a while, but it eventually worked. These are not exercises and stretches I would have known to do on my own, and no amount of rest, home remedies, NSAIDs or voodoo would have fixed the alignment.

The moral of the story is to go see a doctor *before* you have permanent damage, not after. Good luck!

Frank Silbermann
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Go see an orthopedic surgeon right away.

I once had chondropalacia patella. It felt like what you describe. Basically, it is a problem with kneecap alignment/tracking. On Xray, doc could see the knee cap tilted off to the side. It was rubbing something it shouldn't rub. Had this continued, it could have rubbed through the cartilage to the bone and there's no fixing that.

OS put me in physical therapy to strengthen some muscles and stretch others. It took a while, but it eventually worked. These are not exercises and stretches I would have known to do on my own, and no amount of rest, home remedies, NSAIDs or voodoo would have fixed the alignment.

What about wearing a knee strap below the knee cap?

Cindysphinx
12-31-2009, 07:41 PM
I dunno. I don't know much about how those things work. If the problem is that the knee cap is tilted or moved to the side (because of muscle imbalance), I don't see how a strap underneath would do much.

Nadal substituted strapping for R&R, and look how it turned out for him.

number.432
12-31-2009, 08:36 PM
What about wearing a knee strap below the knee cap?

If it's not that severe, Cho Pat dual knee support could help getting you by. I've used that at one point couple years ago when I experienced similar kind of pain the OP described.

I kept playing until it was up to a point where I could not land after hitting my serves (left knee of course I'm a rightie) and wasn't able to split step before hitting each ball.

I eventually seeked doctor's advice as well as enrolling in several physiotherapy sessions. And exactly as Cindy said it's not something you'd know of hands. But it's totally worth it after I was through with the program.