PDA

View Full Version : POG OS players, what are you switching to?

dkt
12-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Since the discontinuation of the Prince Orginal Graphite O/S, I have been reluctently looking for a replacement frame.

I bought a couple of the EXO graphite 100's and couldn't really feel the ball like the POG. It serves well and has decent control, but my ground strokes lack depth.

Needless to say I have gone back to the trusty POG.

I have noticed the Donnay Pro, the Avery OS, and the Head Youtek 107 have similar specs, but was looking for some feedback from fellow POGers.

tennytive
01-01-2010, 08:27 AM
I was under the impression that the POG OS Tour version will again be available on TW sometime in March.

Look in the TW questions forum under "No more POG oversize?" thread.

If you have a POG now there's no reason to switch unless you break it.

Many are available in the TT For Sale classified forum from good sellers if you need a back up. That's where I got one of mine.

dkt
01-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Thank you! Should have checked previous threads more thoroughly. This is great news!

Virginia
01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I do wonder though, if they will be the same good quality as the originals. Something tells me they might not be.

tennis005
01-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure they are going to mess with it. Maybe put speedports? I really hope not.

Virginia
01-01-2010, 09:28 PM
No, it's not that - it's the quality of graphite they are using nowadays.

ace0001a
01-09-2010, 06:56 AM
I heard the POG OS Tour isn't as good as the old POGs. While I'm sure it still feels the closest you can find to the earlier POGs, that shouldn't be in doubt. I say why not demo other racquets. Give the Head Liquidmetal Radical OS a try as they're still available now new from the stores and can be had for $70. In general, I find the Head Radical OS racquets to be a good switch for POG OS users. But the earlier Radicals played alot more like the POG than the current ones do (and there's plenty discussion about it). The trend with consumer racquets these days is being lighter and sometimes stiffer. Though the Radicals have stayed within the flexible realm compared to racquets like the Babolat Pure and Aeropro Drives. It's funny though to see Michael Chang these days use a Babolat Aeropro Drive since he used play with POG OSes. So if you do venture into the Radicals, but don't like their lightness, you'll have to customize them by adding lead tape. The people here who were used to the heavier older frames and like the newer racquets like Radicals, put lead tape on them to bring their weight up to what they were used to.

mmaster
01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
how about the prince graphite longbody? how does it compare?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-PGLB.html

CollegeBound
01-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I heard the POG OS Tour isn't as good as the old POGs. While I'm sure it still feels the closest you can find to the earlier POGs, that shouldn't be in doubt. I say why not demo other racquets. Give the Head Liquidmetal Radical OS a try as they're still available now new from the stores and can be had for $70. In general, I find the Head Radical OS racquets to be a good switch for POG OS users. But the earlier Radicals played alot more like the POG than the current ones do (and there's plenty discussion about it).

Few problems there. Firstly, the simple fact that the Head LM Radical OS has an 18x19 string pattern makes it the worst thing you can switch to. You can't go from a spin monster like the POG OS to a tight string pattern like the LM Rad OS and retain the same feel. Nothing alike. Secondly, the LM Rads you buy now are very poor quality compared to the original run. They're made cheap so they can be sold cheap. Not that the LM ever had good feel but now, it's worse.

Best thing to do is just pick up a POG OS on the bay. If you're in the States they're very easy to come by.

ace0001a
01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Few problems there. Firstly, the simple fact that the Head LM Radical OS has an 18x19 string pattern makes it the worst thing you can switch to. You can't go from a spin monster like the POG OS to a tight string pattern like the LM Rad OS and retain the same feel. Nothing alike. Secondly, the LM Rads you buy now are very poor quality compared to the original run. They're made cheap so they can be sold cheap. Not that the LM ever had good feel but now, it's worse.

Best thing to do is just pick up a POG OS on the bay. If you're in the States they're very easy to come by.

I will agree that the newer Head Radicals have swayed quite a bit from the earlier ones, but the LM Radicals (even the ones from now that are made in China) are still solid sticks in my opinion. I've used both the earlier ones and the current ones, so I can honestly say I think they're about the same. A teaching pro I've talked said he felt the reissued Yellow/Black Radical Tours (not the Andre Agassi Limited Edition) sold in the late late '90s "feels just like the Prince Graphite". Another fellow forum member I've talked said he uses both the Prince Graphite OS and the Head Radical Tour Twin Tube (1997-98 model) and he likes the transition from one to the other and actually prefers the Radical. Going to a tighter string pattern for an OS is really not that big of a deal if you ask me as I think you can still generate plenty of spin on the OS Radicals.

MichaelChang
01-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Try demo the Avery OS. From the specs it seems to be the exact replica of the POG OS 4stripe (note: the POG OS "Tour" version is much less head-light).

mnehls
02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
I switched to the PDRGT+, it really didn't take that long to convert, definitely more power, a little less feel.

Occasionally I will switch back just to check if I am missing something. I prefer the PDRGT+ for serving by a wide margin.

adista4
08-23-2012, 07:42 AM
head radical tour tt os, almost the same, the radical has a bit more power

asekaran
09-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Donnay Pro One OS Ext looks like it might work? I'm considering the demo. Sure, it is 1.5 oz lighter, but I think a replacement with leather and a few other things it may bring it to a reasonable weight.