PDA

View Full Version : Pete Sampras Tennis Trainer?

Kaz00
12-31-2009, 07:09 PM
i recently got a tennis trainer its like a ball on an elastic string and some rubber base holds the ball but anyway which way do i have the hook pointing thats holding the string away from me or towards me? my mom threw away the instructions lol.

JRad
01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
This might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USWncjyTPEc

Storm_Kyori
01-01-2010, 09:44 PM
away from you so that the string can stretch as much as possible. I had one, but the string broke and it wasn't too fun. I just really liked whacking the crud outta the ball.

Deodorant
01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
OMGOSH NO TOPSPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNnnnnNNNNNNnNNn

lawlitssoo1n
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
i would rather hit against the wall

tennytive
01-03-2010, 08:12 AM
^^^^^^^

Yeah, I have one of these and I hate it. (Not the Sampras, but the same concept) The band gets twisted up and the ball hits the base and bounces all crazy at times.

Maybe it's only good for practicing serves because it'll at least come back to you.

I give it a 3 out of 10. I'd rather shadow swing.

Zimtack
03-21-2011, 09:09 AM
so basically this doesn't work at all? i was thinking of buying it

Fuji
03-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I bought one the other day and it's coming in with the rest of my junk&strings order. I'll let everyone know how it is once it gets in sometime this week! :)

-Fuji

RyanRF
03-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I have a difficult time seeing how this would be any better than hitting against a wall.

In fact... a wall actually forces you to have directional control. If you cant hit balls straight against a wall, you end up having to scramble. If you cant hit balls straight with this string thingie, the balls will still come back to you.

Tennishacker
03-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Hey I had one in the 70's while I was in high school. At the time we lived in El Paso, Texas, I was crazy into tennis but had a hard time finding kids to hit with. So I got that thing and played with it every chance I had.

This thread brought back great memories!

retlod
03-28-2011, 05:06 AM
I'll never understand why anyone in their right mind would use one of these or hit against a wall unless you're just starting to learn the game. If you can hit the ball, don't bother with this stuff. The reaction time is too short, the bounces are unrealistic, there's no spin, and the balls always come back at predictable angles. Plus, you get no visual feedback as to the quality of your shot because you never get to see what would happen to it on the other side of the net on a real court.

Fuji
03-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Sorry if I read your post wrong retlod, but did you say that hitting against a wall is a bad thing??? I still love hitting against the wall to groove strokes when people to practice with aren't available, and I think it's a great resource! Just my two cents! :)

-Fuji