PDA

View Full Version : Wankster's Racket Search Begins!

wankster
04-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Hey,

I'm a 16 year old 3.5 level baseliner. I play #4 on my HS team even though I've only been playing for about a year and a half and a lot of players ranked behind me have been playing their whole lives. My playing style is centered around my good athleticism (6'2", 160), big serve, and spreading the ball around the court with heavy topsin. I do not like to come to net unless an easy putaway presents itself.

The thing is, my coach and most people say that my current racket does not suit my game very well. Right now, I use a Hyper Hammer 6.2 OS. It has its pros- such as great comfort, serves, volleys, but my fast paced swing often sends the ball long, even when strung at the top of the tension range. Sometimes it just feels clumsy, being so big and all (I think i want to move to a MP type). I don't think my potential is being fulfilled with this stick.

So, I need help! Is it possible for me to move to a players type racket? Or should I just be looking at tweeners? Do you guys know anyone that started their careers with a HH 6.2 and then switched?

erik-the-red
04-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, I'm almost sixteen and I would estimate my level to be 3.0-3.5. I do not start on my high school team, so whether or not you want to listen to me is up to you :)

I'm demoing the Prince NXG OS and the Head Liquidmetal Radical right now. Actually, neither is a true "player's frame" (ie. POG OS, PC600, PS6.0 85, etc.), but both require longer strokes with better form to generate pace.

Personally, pick a current generation of a player's stick and a tweener (e.g. Liquidmetal Prestige, Pure Drive, respectively) and see which one you like better.

My current frame is a Prince TT Bandit OS.

finesse15
04-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Well, just looking at the basic principles of your game right now - big serve and heavy topspin groundstrokes, the Babolat Pure Drive and AeroPro Drive pop into mind. You might want to add some weight to either of these, but if you demo these I am sure they will appeal to you greater than your current racquet.

Leon
04-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Look here, same question:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=49090

Steve H.
04-22-2005, 05:42 PM
For your next frame try something about 100 square inches, head-light, and about 11.5 ounces with medium swingweight. There are quite a few out there -- Head Instinct, Wilson Surge, PK Laver S, Prince 03 Tour, Shark or Diablo MP, Yonex RDX500 to name a few. The Pure Drive is OK but it's pretty stiff, and the PD+ has a lot of swingweight -- if you're athletic you could play with something a little heavier and less powerful to help you keep the ball in the court. You don't need the power right now -- cutting down on errors is the way to move up from #4!

TennsDog
04-23-2005, 11:37 AM
I recommend giving the Prince NXG mp a demo...

TigerTennis
04-23-2005, 11:44 AM
I am 17, a high school senior and play #3 on the state runner up tennis team. I play at a solid 4.0, maybe 4.5 level. I use a Prince More Attack 920 (the MP), and it is customized with lead tape, but I love it. I have only been playing for about two and a half years and also rely on my althletic abilities (6'0, 145). My game is a powerful baseline game. I know some people dont like Prince's "MORE" line of racquets, but I love my More Attack 920. Just to letcha know.