PDA

View Full Version : Please advice on a FH Problem

user92626
01-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi All,

How do you avoid opening your shoulder too much when you hit a FH stroke? Meaning, at contact point your body is already completely facing the net, and as a result you feel overstretched at the shoulder/arm joint (over-bent from arm lagging behind too much), and thus feel weakened?

Thanks.

Blake0
01-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Does it feel like your shoulders have opened up too early and that it's dragging your arm along? You waited too long to swing. Your shot feels weaker because your body is already starting to deaccelerate when you contact the ball.

Try to incorporate your left arm (for righties) in your swing. I'm sure you know what i mean. Once your left arm is up parallel to the net, and you're done setting up and you're about to start the forward swing, start bringing the left arm back and swing forward at the same time. Timing this way might create a hitch in your backswing, but it's a simple way to feel what it should feel like when you turn your shoulders correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n30yc9hd8GM
Watch this to make it clearer. Notice how when his shoulders have started going forward during his backswing(beginning of :01), because it's continious. Once you've felt the correct timed shoulder turn a couple times, try to time it with your downswing part of your backswing, so you can swing without having a hitch. Practice it when you find it.

user92626
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Blake and Others,

Let me ask you a question.

Do you why Federer has a relatively horizontal swing path yet his FH shots have so much topspin and adequate net clearance?

I have to hit with so much brushing yet I can only afford to clear the net within 2 ft or so (hitting from baseline). If higher the shot will be long!!!

Blake0
01-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Blake and Others,

Let me ask you a question.

Do you why Federer has a relatively horizontal swing path yet his FH shots have so much topspin and adequate net clearance?

I have to hit with so much brushing yet I can only afford to clear the net within 2 ft or so (hitting from baseline). If higher the shot will be long!!!

Federer does get under the ball, but he doesn't swing as up, and hits through the ball a lot, making it more horizontal. It's not like it's completely horizontal. Federer doesn't hit nadal like topspin, but hits topspin with a flatter trajectory. He get's his topspin from pronating his forearm during contact, plus his insane racket head speed. Not to to mention he hits with a straight arm, so he's potentially able to swing faster then if he had a double bend. Basically it's a combination of pronation at contact, sling shot forehand, and having a straight arm at contact (plus his racket head speed).