PDA

View Full Version : Lama. I have acquired a BB11 Light and would like to get the weight up to BB 11 MP

grover
01-01-2010, 08:26 PM
levels without effecting the balance of the racket. Where would you suggest placing lead? TW says placing lead on the throat or bridge of the racket will not effect balance.

TheLama
01-02-2010, 02:37 AM
levels without effecting the balance of the racket. Where would you suggest placing lead? TW says placing lead on the throat or bridge of the racket will not effect balance.

Can't do it that way. You want the weight where it will help you to perform better. Also, use 1/2 lead, which is .5 grams per inch.

What style of tennis do you play: this determines where on the head to put the lead tape?

How much weight do you need to add?

How tight are your grip tolerances? For example, if you put one layer of lead tape on the flat two sides of the grip, would that affect your shot making ability?

Depending if it is just a little, or a lot of tape, you will want to add it to the head, and then, will need to apply it to the grip, or in the butt--which is a little more work and more difficult to adjust if need be--and lastly, quite possibly at 6 o'clock and in the throat, to keep the balance where you want it..

grover
01-02-2010, 05:42 AM
changing the balance. Good advice on the 1/2 lead. I have always used 1/4. I will continue to play around with it but I would like to avoid adding anything to the grip or butt of the racket. Very concious of grip size these days and would rather not take the butt off the racket off as well. Never done it.

The weather here in Atlanta has been windy and cold but I did get a chance to hit once with the PB 10 MP, BB11 MP, and the BB Legend. Your thoughts on those rackets from my questions and previous posts seem to be right on. The PB10 MP is out because to me it hit a lot like a heavier version of the DNX 9 I currently play with. I struggled with producing spin on my serve which is a big part of my game. Now that I have hit with the BB11 MP and BB Legend I am wondering if I prefer a more flexible frame because I liked both of them over the DNX 9 and PB 10 MP. The Legend I liked better from the baseline and the BB 11 MP at the net. I liked both equally and much more than the other two while serving which is very important to me. You were right when you said the BB 11 MP was the more powerful of the three and I missed a couple of shots long that I would not have missed with my DNX 9. Maybe a different string set up would help tone it down a bit. The BB Legend was sweet and I loved how my sw forehand felt while hitting with it and the racket and grip felt great in my hand. Only negative is I thought the racket made a slight pinging noise when I struck the ball and I had never heard or felt that with any other Volkl racket. While I still plan on trying the PB 9, I really liked the soft feel of these two more flexible frames and wonder if thats what I have been missing since returning to the sport after ten years. Would you say the PB 9 plays to its 66 flex rating? Thanks for your help.

TheLama
01-02-2010, 07:10 AM
changing the balance. Good advice on the 1/2 lead. I have always used 1/4. I will continue to play around with it but I would like to avoid adding anything to the grip or butt of the racket. Very concious of grip size these days and would rather not take the butt off the racket off as well. Never done it.

The weather here in Atlanta has been windy and cold but I did get a chance to hit once with the PB 10 MP, BB11 MP, and the BB Legend. Your thoughts on those rackets from my questions and previous posts seem to be right on. The PB10 MP is out because to me it hit a lot like a heavier version of the DNX 9 I currently play with. I struggled with producing spin on my serve which is a big part of my game. Now that I have hit with the BB11 MP and BB Legend I am wondering if I prefer a more flexible frame because I liked both of them over the DNX 9 and PB 10 MP. The Legend I liked better from the baseline and the BB 11 MP at the net. I liked both equally and much more than the other two while serving which is very important to me. You were right when you said the BB 11 MP was the more powerful of the three and I missed a couple of shots long that I would not have missed with my DNX 9. Maybe a different string set up would help tone it down a bit. The BB Legend was sweet and I loved how my sw forehand felt while hitting with it and the racket and grip felt great in my hand. Only negative is I thought the racket made a slight pinging noise when I struck the ball and I had never heard or felt that with any other Volkl racket. While I still plan on trying the PB 9, I really liked the soft feel of these two more flexible frames and wonder if thats what I have been missing since returning to the sport after ten years. Would you say the PB 9 plays to its 66 flex rating? Thanks for your help.

I'm surprised that you didn't volley your best with the Legend. Do you perhaps mishit while at the net, so that the more powerful BB 11 compensates? Also, the Legend plays a little further to the right of the volkl spectrum in soft feel--not to be confused with cushioned feel--to that of the Volkl Line, which is a little to the right and less powerful than the BB Line. That is what you are feeling, as though it were a softer Head and a far more stable and less bricky Dunlop. It is a far more precise frame than the BB11. And you'll just have to deal with the sound.

The PB 9 is a very good upgrade. You have a more stable frame from that of its predecessor, so your volleys will be crisper, serves more true and with more spin, and your groundies can be both driven and spun with increased ball quality. It also does play to its stiffness rating, but it is less harsh than the DNX 9. Think of it as a newer race car with more refined racing suspension--the same, but better. And since it's more stable, it is also more precise.

You will have to take good notes, and then, the opinion that I always give, is to choose which racquet it is which gives you the best ball quality on the other side of the net. Ask your practice partner, for it is that quality which will win you the most points, even if it is only 7-10 per match, for that could be the difference between winning and losing. Whichever stick you choose, you will adjust to. Ball quality is paramount, if winning is the goal.

Lastly, restring the PB 10 MP, and string the crosses 3-4 pounds looser. This will give you a similar pocketing quality to the Lengend, but with the more standard Volkl feel. Then, compare those two frames' ball quality on the other side of the net. Thus, it behoves you to have a solid practice partner, or hire out a pro to hit with you for the hour, and just drill and play groundie points until you serve, and he returns. The strength of his returns will tell you all that you need to now about your serves ball quality.

Good Luck!

TheLama
01-02-2010, 11:35 AM

I just realized that your title says it all, although is wasn't in the body of your post. My bad!

You want to weight you BB 11 Light ot weigh 30 grams heavier to measure-up to a BB 11, correct?

If so, to start with, you will need 60 inches of lead tape.

Are you using a synthetic grip? If yes, life becomes easy for us.

Do you want the same balance to be maintained, which is 1 pt HL, or do you want it to be 5 pts HL, as is the BB 11 325?

Let me know, and we'll go on from there.

grover
01-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes I would like the BB 11 L to have the same balance as the BB11 MP. I assumed they already had the same balance in stock form. I knew the light was stiffer but I thought that was the only difference other than weight.

As far as my fondness for the BB11 MP and BB Legend goes, my hitting with both was limited due to weather and my normal hitting partner not being available. I hope to make a more educated judgement real soon and plan on spending more time at the net since thats the strongest part of my game and comfort there is most important. Ultimately, serving and volleying issues are what is pulling me away from the DNX 9. Ground strokes have never wavered and I hit the ball better than I ever have from the baseline with that racket. Never thought about asking my hitting partner his opinion of my ball with these different rackets. While demoeing a racket it has always been about how I feel and never how a ball hit with a certain racket might effect my opponent. Good advice. Finally, even with its stiffness rating I plan on trying the PB 9 before making a final decision but I am leaning towards the Legend. I can tell you like the frame in general from your posts.

grover
01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
You mentioned this would make getting the specs up to the BB 11 MP specs easier.

TheLama
01-02-2010, 07:12 PM
You mentioned this would make getting the specs up to the BB 11 MP specs easier.

The light is so much head heavier, that much of the weight would need to be put in the handle. If you used eight strips of lead tape, about 6.5 inches long, from where the butt cap ends on the the pallet, about an inch from the bottom tip of the racquet, you would use 52 inches of tape. Then, when you replace the grip, and strtch it a little, you will reduce its thickness, and while on top of the lead tape, will now feel as it did before you did the modification and removed the grip.

The caveat:

You need to measure where the balance point is before you do the work. Just put all eight strips on top of the grip, positioned starting where the grip ends at the top, and find the balance point(don't worry about the weight of the paper backing, at this point, we are only looking for an approximation). If you are close to the 5 points(5/8in), or just compare to your other frames, then we are in ballpark range, and you saved a lot of work. However, if you only moved the balance point a few points, then you have an issue; your weight needs to be placed lower in the frame, and you will have to remove the butt cap, and then go to TW's site where there are instructions as to how to add weight down there with silicone or small lead weights.

djnemo
01-03-2010, 09:28 PM
From reading posts from company insiders like Lama, it always seems like the insider prefers the newer version over the older version. Is this because they are biased in trying to sell the new version over the out of production version? Maybe the Lama truly does prefer the Legend over the BB11, but some of these "insiders" on this site are just trying to market the next big thing.

TheLama
01-04-2010, 12:03 AM
From reading posts from company insiders like Lama, it always seems like the insider prefers the newer version over the older version. Is this because they are biased in trying to sell the new version over the out of production version? Maybe the Lama truly does prefer the Legend over the BB11, but some of these "insiders" on this site are just trying to market the next big thing.

Volkl is very good at doing upgrades, so I am biased in that regard. And the BB Legend, plays nothing like the BB 11. It is not its upgrade.

They want to sell sticks period, so if there is old stock, they want it to sell. You never hear me bad mouth old stock; I just discuss what the upgrades do.

If I have the bucks to buy a '10 car vs a '08, I'm buying the '10, even though I parallel park real well without the help of a computer, but if you play at my level, you know that you want the stick that gets the extra 3-5 points per set, because that can be the difference between winning and losing a match.