PDA

View Full Version : R-7, a Classic? (Tennis Magazine)

Tenny
04-22-2005, 07:17 PM
In the current issue of Tennis magazine, these racquets were listed as classics.

POG
PS 6.0
Prestige...oh yeah.
and PD (I didn't like it but I admit it has been very successful and influential)

and then Yonex R-7? Navratilova used it but I never heard of the stick or seen anyone using it. I knew RD-7 or R-22/23 but was R-7 that successful or popular like the other three? Also I am curious about yonex racquet history (not b/c I am a fan but b/c it's less known than Prince, Wilson, Head etc).

Thanks for reading.

carTW
04-22-2005, 08:55 PM
I wonder if the R-7 is not the racquet that Aaron Kriekstein used in that famous US Open match against Jimmy Connors

Kirko
04-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Krickstein used a wilson pro staff in that match borrowed from Sampras previously he used the Yonex R-27 .

radical tourist
04-23-2005, 08:51 AM
It was indeed a classic, but you would have had to play tennis 25 years ago to know it.

pchoi04
04-23-2005, 09:10 AM
I think it was the first racquet to win both wimbledon and french.

coachrick
04-23-2005, 01:19 PM
IMO, the R-10 was a bit more interesting than the R-7. Both had the YY 'corners' that had a propensity to crack under court impact or higher tension stringing. These were pre-bumperguard, individual grommets for the most part. BTW, the early R-22s probably had the second-highest 'defective/return' rate of any major frame of the mid-80s...second only to the original 200G.

pchoi04
04-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know the specs of the R-7?

yip kok kuin
04-23-2005, 08:59 PM
You can write to yonex and they will email back. I have 2 of these sticks. Too flexible for me. And they don't crack that easily. Solid like a rock compared with the max 200g which is my forever favourite.

Redflea
04-24-2005, 04:17 PM
That's correct...(about Wimbledon & French Open).

THe Yonex web site says:

"The R-1 was the world's first square or "isometric" tennis racquet and the super light R-7 was the first tennis racquet to win both the French Open and Wimbledon."

Funny, I could have sworn that a player was involved as well as the racquet, but maybe I'm wrong. :-)

AndyC
04-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Got two R-7s and an R-10 still :). I preferred the 10 to the 7 to be honest. The R-7 was more balanced whilst the R-10 was more head light. They were the first graphite rackets I ever used. Before that I actually learnt to play tennis with a woodie :P for a short while before actually using a steel frame (can't remember which wood.. I remember a slazenger steel/aluminium frame).

AndrewD
04-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Tenny,

Did they mention the 200G? Would have thought that would have rated way above the R7, PD and POG given the amount of people who used it-general public world-wide, not just in the States- and it being the only modern racquet to be used during a Grand Slam win. Not to mention all the other titles McEnroe, Graf and (for a time) Navratilova won with it.

Isn't it strange, of those classic racquets mentioned, the pog os has only been used to win one major singles title and its midplus version has never been 'used' in the final of a major (not counting the prince graphite II used to win a French or the Prince Graphite longbody). At least with the PD its been used to win a French and a US Open, as well as a couple of other major finals along the way. And how many majors has the Prestige been used to win?

Tenny
04-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Tenny,

Did they mention the 200G? Would have thought that would have rated way above the R7, PD and POG given the amount of people who used it-general public world-wide, not just in the States- and it being the only modern racquet to be used during a Grand Slam win. Not to mention all the other titles McEnroe, Graf and (for a time) Navratilova won with it.

Isn't it strange, of those classic racquets mentioned, the pog os has only been used to win one major singles title and its midplus version has never been 'used' in the final of a major (not counting the prince graphite II used to win a French or the Prince Graphite longbody). At least with the PD its been used to win a French and a US Open, as well as a couple of other major finals along the way. And how many majors has the Prestige been used to win?

Hi AndrewD,

No. 200G wasn't there. I am not sure whether they chose them based on its acheivement or popularity among 'people'. POG OS (not MP), PS6.0, Wilson Profile, R-7 and PD. It was a small box article. It seemed Profile (I haven't seen this stick) was for intermediate players who need powerboost so I guess it's based on popularity. I know JMac and Graf used it during their peak but I didn't know it was that popular. Wasn't it expensive?

I just visited their webpage but couldn't find the current issue with that article (not updated yet?).

lacoster
04-24-2005, 08:06 PM
I thought the RD-7 should have been mentioned over the R-7. Navratilova used the RD-7 during the twilight of her career (reached her last Wimbledon final, losing to Martinez), along with a ton of many other good players in the 90's like Gomez, Bruguera, Kucera, Mal Washington, Maleeva, Rios, Sanchez-Vicario. The RDX500 even looks like it was based on the RD-7 paintjob.
________
MAZDA MX-5 10TH ANNIVERSARY MODEL PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_MX-5_10th_Anniversary_Model)