PDA

View Full Version : tough opponents!

dthomas
01-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm a 4.5 player, and I play these two guys who really make me earn every point. The one guy hits short slice backhands and moonball forehands. The other guy has a big forehand and hits short slice backhands. Also, he hits drop shots about twice a game. When I try to attack their backhands and approach the net, they hit these deep lobs over my head. They are very consistent players and they run me back and forth the entire match. I'm in good shape, but I don't know how to play against these kind of players. I'm more of a baseline player who likes to hit heavy topspin from both sides. I enjoy the challenge of playing these guys, but it is hard to play my style against them. I was wondering how do you play guys with this style?

ilikephobo
01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
not that i'm a doubles expert. but of course you gotta learn to serve and volley. place that serve and be ready to put away a weak return.....i hope you're talking about doubles, i wasn't too sure because you mentioned two guys but you never mentioned your partner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gyqHjNzFeM

for inspiration =P

Roy125
01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
How far are you up to the net when you rush it? If you can, a low and skidding approach slice shot is difficult to lob.

dthomas
01-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I play them in singles. They are both very fit and run all day. I agree, I do need to work on better approach shots and on my overhead. I enjoy staying back and rallying from the baseline with my heavy topspin groundstrokes. I'm 6'2", so I need to get to the net and use my size.

Bagumbawalla
01-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I would start by using the skills you have, driving the ball to the corners and trying for some extra angle with your topspin. Keep pressure on them and wait for a short or weak return. Once you get the short ball, move in. Maintain a position from which you can drive the ball left or right. They will have to guess one way or the other (or freeze up). Pick a direction and blast the ball, then follow it to the net.

If, on the other hand you are forced (drawn) to the net and the ball is low- then placement is the key. Send it deep to the corner (the corner that leaves him less open space for a return) then position yourself in the middle of the most likely lines of return and prepare yourself mentally for a lob. Note, you are less likely to get anoffensive lob off their backhand side.

If you get the moonballs, just step back, allow them to fall into your strike zone and use your topspin to send them back. Repeat that until you get a shorter ball, then drive it and follow it to the net.

Meanwhile, practice. Stand at about the service line and have someone toss over low balls with no pace. Your job is to get down and use topspin to get them over the net and back into the court to a specific spot. Practice that until you enjoy doing it. Then practice your volleys and overheads. If you have someone who can deliver dropshots, drives and lobs and keep you guessing- that would be good practice.

Your backhand and forehand drives are good- now bring the rest up to the same level and you will be hard to beat.

dthomas
01-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Thank you for the information! These guys try to change the pace and placement of the ball because they really don't want to hit with me from the baseline. I will take your information and put it into practice on the court. They are forcing me to work on the parts of my game I need to improve to move to the next level. If a person is never challenged to grow in their game, how will a person improve. This is good for me! Thanks again!!!

tennis005
01-03-2010, 03:59 PM
I play them in singles. They are both very fit and run all day. I agree, I do need to work on better approach shots and on my overhead. I enjoy staying back and rallying from the baseline with my heavy topspin groundstrokes. I'm 6'2", so I need to get to the net and use my size.

With your height, they should have a tough time with you at net.:)

ms87
01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
why not bring them to the net with a short slice and then pass or lob them? or just hit a heavily spun groundstroke at their feet and expect a drop volley

dozu
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
so they are not passing you cc or dtl? just lobbing is giving you trouble?

then obviously there is a big hole in your game.... you may play like a 4.5 when the other guy trades baseline rally with you, but a true 4.5 overhead should put away predictable overheads, no matter how accurate they are.

it's a percentage game, if you put away 7 of them out of 10, and screw up the other 3, you should still win by a comfortable margin.

meanwhile, stand back a little big when you are at the net, dare them to pass you. If you are also getting passed left and right, then you have 2 big holes in your game.

LeeD
01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Seems your two main adversaries are old fart solid 5.0's I"ve played against lots of times....
That low slice moving you around the court, no real forehand, but never misses, is a staple of old farts.
That said, the only way you can beat them is to get to their level. Hit approach shots deeper consistently, learn a drop approach as an alternative.
Make them hit their forehands, as it's easier for you to handle than the low slicing, skidded backhands.
And of course, you have to attack their shorter balls, which most high level 4.5 should be able to do.
Make them run, be more consistent, and you will win. Easier said than done.