PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a cheap elliptical - really disappointed

JackB1
01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I just bough a used Proform XP130 for $200. I thought this was a good deal sicne its $500 new. The couple I bought it from said they barely used it. The problem is that it makes a really loud creaking sound when you get it up to about 55 rpm's. When I tried it at the sellers house, I guess I didn't push it hard enough because it was pretty quiet when I tested it out. It seems to make a creaking sound when the rpms get high and from the machine swaying back and forth as you go harder on it.

Should I just deal with it since its a cheap home machine and wear an ipod to drown out the noise or should I resell it? Is it possible to get a home machine for $300 or less that wont make a lot of noise? Should I try a rubber mat underneath it? Right now its on the tile floor in our basement. It's weird because its very quiet until you get the rpm's up. The noise is coming from the front of the machine from the supports rocking back and forth.

scotus
01-02-2010, 10:11 PM
It might be that something got loose or went out of alignment when you moved the machine. You should make sure you reassembled it correctly and that everything is properly tightened, balanced, and greased.

Really good ellipticals usually cost over $1000 brand-new. In fact, the ones that I like are commercial machines like Life Fitness that cost around $3000-$5000.

But you can get used Life Fitness for much less.

In fact, a few months ago, I purchased a used Life Fitness exercise bike ($3000 brand-new) for $400 at a moving sale. This beats anything you'd see at Sports Authority or Dick's Sporting Goods.

I kind of regret having purchased my Nordic Track elliptical from Costco. If I were to do it again, I would look for a used Life Fitness.

sidzej
01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
I am not sure if you guys can get it in the US, but here in Europe, the brand Kettler makes very good ellipticals. It is made in Germany, it is well built and a good value for money. They are usually more expensive (starting at around 600-700 euros up to ca. 3000), but they are certainly worth it. We've just bought "Kettler Satura P" and no regrets at all. Excellent piece of kit.

JackB1
01-03-2010, 07:22 AM
It might be that something got loose or went out of alignment when you moved the machine. You should make sure you reassembled it correctly and that everything is properly tightened, balanced, and greased.

how do I do that? It was just in 2 pieces. I reattached it and that's it. How do I check balance and where do I grease it and what do I use?

jrod
01-03-2010, 07:48 AM
how do I do that? It was just in 2 pieces. I reattached it and that's it. How do I check balance and where do I grease it and what do I use?

These things can and do get alignment errors after use or moving. We have a Precor and it has required 3 tune-ups in the 6 years we've owned it. I do not attempt to do this myself, but we instead have an expert come and tune it up for $100.

You might be able to find some information on-line regarding your machine. They are all different so I'd recommend getting machine specific information before going too far.

JackB1
01-03-2010, 03:14 PM
These things can and do get alignment errors after use or moving. We have a Precor and it has required 3 tune-ups in the 6 years we've owned it. I do not attempt to do this myself, but we instead have an expert come and tune it up for $100.

You might be able to find some information on-line regarding your machine. They are all different so I'd recommend getting machine specific information before going too far.

I just tried it again and if I just peddle and try not to sway, it stays pretty quiet. It's a creaking sound that starts when I sway to much from side to side. Its so hard to pinpoint where its coming from. I wonder if its just some parts that need some WD40?

jrod
01-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I just tried it again and if I just peddle and try not to sway, it stays pretty quiet. It's a creaking sound that starts when I sway to much from side to side. Its so hard to pinpoint where its coming from. I wonder if its just some parts that need some WD40?

Get someone else to run on it and take a look. WD40 is a pretty inexpensive fix.

scotus
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Yes, that's a good starting point.

Examine every joint, not just where you put the machine back together.