PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Arias as announcer? like'em or no?

Craig Sheppard
04-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Just wondering what all you guys think of Jimmy Arias as an announcer during the Clay Court Championship on TTC? I like listening to him...he's interesting, kind of refreshing. Seems to be having fun up there, which is entertaining.

Andy Hewitt
04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
He's a bit too quiet.... :(

Kobble
04-22-2005, 08:11 PM
He was my favorite announcer when he was on ESPN many years ago. He has no agenda, but to call the match as it is, and state the facts about the players and the game. I haven't heard him recently, but he used to have great insite to the players games from having played them. Today, he hasn't played any of these young guys, so I could imagine that it would hinder his potential for his best commentary. I would rather listen to him the the McEnroe's anyday.

Kirko
04-22-2005, 09:49 PM
He's pretty good . last time I heard {saw him} he worked with Luke Jensen and they were fine !

35ft6
04-24-2005, 07:32 AM
He's not bad. Certainly is a likable guy. I like him more than Pat McEnroe, that's for sure. Pat is the worst. I like Luke Jensen, John Mac, Leif Shiras, and Mal Washington. Probably Luke the best because he gets into technique, locker room talk, and strategy the most. Pat is definitely a diplomat and refuses to say anything remotely controversial, especially when it comes to Americans, and although it's understandable, it makes for boring telecasts.

I'm still waiting for a really kick butt match caller. Somebody who does his homework, knows the players, caters more to the knowledgeable watcher by talking technique and strategy, is witty, and and isn't afraid to be truthful. Or at least put together a team of two that can do this.

I'm hoping that sometime in the near future you'll be able to choose from a list of broadcasters, and sometime in the far off future pick camera angles. I would love to hear two former players, smart alecks who tell it like it is, call a match.

Anyway, I saw Arias practicing at the US Open one year, and he still hits a very mean forehand. Very flat compared to today's forehand, but smooth and powerful. He kept looking around, and I remember thinking at the time that he wouldn't have minded if some people made a fuss over seeing him. He was joking very loudly, almost as if he wanted the teen age girls practicing on the court next him to not think he was a boring old fogie.

alfa164164
04-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Yes, like him, good announcer (although never cared for him as a player).

Gugafan_Redux
04-25-2005, 07:38 AM
I think he does a great job. I liked that he wasn't afraid to criticize Blake's impatience vs. Lapenti.

tguru
04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
He's OK, doesn't get on my nerves, yet.

atatu
04-25-2005, 08:05 AM
While we're on the subject of Arias, does anyone know if this guy is related to him, looks just like him: http://www.tennis.info/Star2004Q2.asp