PDA

View Full Version : A.rods New Gesture

gugafanatic
04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/050419/11/6x10.html

Anyone care to elaborate, he has been doing this in the past few matches. Its getting abit annoying. What does the Texas hook'em acutally mean or represent??

Jill
04-22-2005, 07:57 PM
It's not new, he's been doing it forever. It's the hand symbol of the University of Texas Longhorns - the Hook'em Horns. It's a nice gesture of appreciation to the crowd :)

Andy Hewitt
04-22-2005, 07:59 PM
It's not new, he's been doing it forever. It's the hand symbol of the University of Texas Longhorns - the Hook'em Horns. It's a nice gesture of appreciation to the crowd :)
Yeah i first saw it at San Jose. I wouldn't do it though.

goober
04-22-2005, 08:00 PM
That's the hand signal University of Texas, Austin. it is a symbol of the Longhorns which is the mascot for the university. They do that annoying sign at all their football games. It is almost as annoying as the Texas A&M gig em.

here is a history on it if you are interested:

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/proudtrads/hookem.html

goober
04-22-2005, 08:01 PM
ahh looks like somebody beat me to the post ;)

Jill
IMO The gig'em is worse. But I can't talk, b/c my alma mater's hand signal was even worse :)

In any case, it may be annoying, but there's nothing wrong with Andy doing that as a hand sign to the crowd. It's nothing bad or anything lol... and he has been doing it since way before San Jose.

gugafanatic
Whenever I seen him play at Wimbledon he never did it. I guess its an American thing.

Jill
04-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Whenever I seen him play at Wimbledon he never did it. I guess its an American thing.Well, yeah... pretty much.

Craig Sheppard
04-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Whenever I seen him play at Wimbledon he never did it. I guess its an American thing.
No, it's strictly a TEXAS thing.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/151469/1_23_012105_bush_sign.jpg

gugafanatic
04-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Damn that Bush!! Hes a war monger, I oppose the texas hook'em if he uses it as a gesture!

dAgEnIuS
04-22-2005, 10:03 PM
i heard that it is some kind of a devil sign is norway or something...
that's why some Norwaigens thought Bush was related to the devil....

Prince_of_Tennis
04-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Yah texan thang...Roddick does live there now and it is the "houston clay court championships"

Jill
04-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Damn that Bush!! Hes a war monger, I oppose the texas hook'em if he uses it as a gesture!that's funny, b/c UT is one of the most liberal campuses in the US.

Roforot
04-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Damn that Bush!! Hes a war monger, I oppose the texas hook'em if he uses it as a gesture!

The sacrifices of men in the armed forces from several countries has given you the freedom to oppose whatever you like. :)

larrhall
04-23-2005, 07:57 AM
The symbol can mean both things. It can mean roughly 'one who worships Lucifer' - in this context 'Lucifer' (in Latin) means the light-bearer or light-bringer. It is easy enough to find photos of members of European and American elites making this sign - people who have no apparent connection to the U of Texas athletic teams.

tykrum
04-23-2005, 08:09 AM
that's funny, b/c UT is one of the most liberal campuses in the US.

Seriously? Even in the heart (capital - Austin) of Republican country? I really wouldn't think that would be true when you compare it to the entire U.S., taking all those New England and east coast schools, and probably California schools too. We even have a few up here that are really liberal, and I just can't see a Texas school even being more than a little over 50% Democrat.

finchy
04-23-2005, 08:47 AM
its also pretty funny seeing as how the Nebraska Cornhuskers are A'rods favorite team.

ragnaROK
04-23-2005, 08:51 AM
If you mean UT is really liberal as in a lot of partying and drinking then you're correct. lol But I don't think it's that liberal. Gotta go to Rice U. to find some of those.

Jill
04-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Gotta go to Rice U. to find some of those. Been there, done that for 4 years ;)

Grew up in New England, living in California now... I've seen it alll, thanks. I know what liberals look like. Plenty of friends at UT and they're all politically liberal and so are their friends. It's not Berkeley, but it's not A&M either.

Regardless, I don't see what any of this has to do with Andy doing the Hook'em sign after finishing his match. He means it in a positive way. Anyone reading into his hand sign to his fans really needs a new hobby, I think ;)

Craig Sheppard
04-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Plenty of friends at UT and they're all politically liberal and so are their friends. It's not Berkeley, but it's not A&M either.
Yeah, everything I've heard about Austin is it's a whole other Texas... very different than the rest of the state.

I do find it odd that Andy would be a Longhorn fan after growing up being a Cornhusker fan. Probably not a life-or-death thing for him... (like some Texas/Nebraska fans)

Jill
04-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah, everything I've heard about Austin is it's a whole other Texas... very different than the rest of the state. Yes, it is. And the Lyndon Johnson museum is on the campus, etc. But, I think the Hook'em is far above and beyond any political implications, it's just pride in the school, and all types of people can have that :)

I do find it odd that Andy would be a Longhorn fan after growing up being a Cornhusker fan. Probably not a life-or-death thing for him... (like some Texas/Nebraska fans)As far as I know he is a fan of both. No problem with that :)

SaritaUTHorns
04-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Seriously? Even in the heart (capital - Austin) of Republican country? I really wouldn't think that would be true when you compare it to the entire U.S., taking all those New England and east coast schools, and probably California schools too. We even have a few up here that are really liberal, and I just can't see a Texas school even being more than a little over 50% Democrat.

Yes, seriously! Austin is one of the most liberal places I've ever been to, as is UT. I should know, I go to UT Austin. Just walk around the campus, talk to a few people; you'll see.

Anyway, I think it's nice that Andy is giving the "Hook 'Em" sign. It's good to know he appreciates Austin. And he does use the University's facilities and such, so why shouldn't he?
HOOK 'EM HORNS! :D

New Balls
04-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Even in the heart (capital - Austin) of Republican country? I just can't see a Texas school even being more than a little over 50% Democrat.

Try East Texas. About 2% registered (D) -well, alright not really, but you get the picture. If you're one of them, you don't want to admit to it in public. UT Tyler is so freakin conservative, it's actually quite radical.

gugafanatic
04-23-2005, 01:22 PM
The symbol can mean both things. It can mean roughly 'one who worships Lucifer' - in this context 'Lucifer' (in Latin) means the light-bearer or light-bringer. It is easy enough to find photos of members of European and American elites making this sign - people who have no apparent connection to the U of Texas athletic teams.

This is what I exactly thought at first. Some kind of symbol belonging to a secret sect who worship the devil.

tykrum
04-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Yeah, everything I've heard about Austin is it's a whole other Texas... very different than the rest of the state.

Well, that's awesome, never realized. I really was cheering for the right team in the Club tennis nat'l championship. Speaking of, Sarita do you play club tennis there? Too bad about UT-Tyler, with a great name like that, I'd think they would be little smarter there.

Jill
04-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Tyler is scary :|

larrhall
04-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Gugafanatic, members of the Royal Family love this gesture. It is also connected to the 'seeing eye' atop the pyramid and to worship of Babylonian/Egyptian gods and goddesses.

K!ck5w3rvE
04-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Very original…..

gugafanatic
04-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Gugafanatic, members of the Royal Family love this gesture. It is also connected to the 'seeing eye' atop the pyramid and to worship of Babylonian/Egyptian gods and goddesses.

Yeah the one eye is also a symbol on madonna and M.Jacksons albumn's. Scary people.

35ft6
04-23-2005, 07:08 PM
It's Satanic. Andy is a devil worshipper. Orgies, ram's heads, blood drinking, all of that. I know a guy who knows a guy that works with a girl who knows for sure that Andy worships Lucifer.

MegacedU
04-23-2005, 07:15 PM
I think you're a touch on the derranged side.

Superior_Forehand
04-23-2005, 07:26 PM
The sacrifices of men in the armed forces from several countries has given you the freedom to oppose whatever you like. :)

Dont ruin the thread now guys...

MegacedU
04-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Ahahaha. <3 Politics

Jill
04-23-2005, 08:12 PM
It's Satanic. Andy is a devil worshipper. Orgies, ram's heads, blood drinking, all of that. I know a guy who knows a guy that works with a girl who knows for sure that Andy worships Lucifer.LMAO!!!!!!!

MegacedU
04-23-2005, 08:34 PM
If you think about it, he must know a thing or two about the pratice himself if he's giving such elaborate examples.

FREDDY
04-23-2005, 08:39 PM
No, it's strictly a TEXAS thing.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/151469/1_23_012105_bush_sign.jpg

LMAO. thats funny.

equinox
04-24-2005, 05:46 AM
Hmm, He's doing the hang ten sign.

35ft6
04-24-2005, 06:56 AM
If you think about it, he must know a thing or two about the pratice himself if he's giving such elaborate examples. You got me. I read a lot. Guilty. :(

Fee
04-24-2005, 11:37 AM
This thread is hilarious!!!! If we mention the Illuminati, will the thread mysteriously disappear (and me along with it?).

Fee
04-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Hmm, He's doing the hang ten sign.

No, the hang ten sign is only the thumb and the pinkie, no first finger (see the example proudly displayed by JMG on my website messageboard).

TennisD
04-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, because Saddam was just knocking on North Americas door, waiting to attack us with non-existent weapons of mass destruction, right? Yeah, that's exactly why someone had to start a useless war that neither proved nor accomplished anything, unless youcount the death of soldiers an accomplishment. Yeah, that really gives us a lot of freedom we were in danger of losing... :rolleyes:

35ft6
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM
^ Roforot's statement holds up if you apply it to WW2.

Roforot
04-24-2005, 01:20 PM

When the Nazis began their force, there was a strong segment of the American population that was either proGerman or anti-semetic. Charles Lindberg is a famous example. All I can say, I'm glad we entered the war even if it wasn't by choice... otherwise, we'd all be wearing leiderhosen, eating bratwurst, and playing w/ Volkls :)... and some of my best friends would not be here.

Matt H.
04-24-2005, 01:38 PM
why in the world would Roddick be sporting the hook 'em horns sign when he's an admitted Nebraska fan.

conflicting Big 12 schools.

Fee
04-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Because he was raised in Texas (before they moved to Florida) and he has often said he's 'a Texas boy at heart.'

New Balls
04-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Because he was raised in Texas (before they moved to Florida) and he has often said he's 'a Texas boy at heart.'

Deep in the heart of Texas (clap, clap, clap)...

Craig Sheppard
04-24-2005, 05:56 PM
This thread is hilarious!!!! If we mention the Illuminati, will the thread mysteriously disappear (and me along with it?).

OOoooooo how ironic, being that Bush also was in Yale's Skull and Bones, with connections to Freemasonry... and now he does the Hook'em Horns too, which according to this thread is tied to weird rituals... i'm all spooked out now. I hear the govt agents at your door, Fee....

Fee
04-24-2005, 06:19 PM
pleeeeaaassseee, remember me fondlllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy........... call Amnesty International.... hellllllppppppp

35ft6
04-24-2005, 08:21 PM
All this talk about Freemasons, Satan worshipping, Skull and Bones, and Illuminatti is just a lot of dancing around the bush. Let's get to the heart of the matter, people. That's right: UFO's. Was the Pure Drive reverse engineered from alien materials found at the Roswell crash site? Something tells me it was. And if so, should the ATP ban rackets from other planets?

TennisD
04-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah, but after that....

Matt H.
04-24-2005, 10:33 PM

you can't play both sides of the fence. It's like a huge violation of some law. ;) As a seminole, i could never make gator or hurricane gestures.

offtopic: how's your "sister"? :D

Rabbit
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Wasn't he a Nebraska fan???? That was the published line on TV. He was born in Nebraska and follows the Huskers. I didn't think anyone could be a fan of both Nebraska and Texas at the same time.....isn't that a bad thing? No wonder I don't like Roddick....he picks whatever team is winning and voila....he's a fan!

ChrisNC
04-25-2005, 07:26 AM
For any Texas fans out there:
http://www.ousucks.com/

@wright
04-25-2005, 08:20 AM
I think he's a fan of whichever team Southern Miss DIDN'T beat that year...

SaritaUTHorns
04-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Well, that's awesome, never realized. I really was cheering for the right team in the Club tennis nat'l championship. Speaking of, Sarita do you play club tennis there? Too bad about UT-Tyler, with a great name like that, I'd think they would be little smarter there.
Yes, I do play club tennis here. I'm trying out for the competitive team in the fall. :D

Fee
04-25-2005, 09:45 AM
You go girlfriend! Keep us posted (if you remember).

I think Andy's use of that sign is just a show of appreciation. He works out at UT whenever he's home, so maybe he's just trying to be a good neighbor.

Datacipher
04-25-2005, 12:39 PM
All this talk about Freemasons, Satan worshipping, Skull and Bones, and Illuminatti is just a lot of dancing around the bush. Let's get to the heart of the matter, people. That's right: UFO's. Was the Pure Drive reverse engineered from alien materials found at the Roswell crash site? Something tells me it was. And if so, should the ATP ban rackets from other planets?

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!

Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the martians under wraps?
We do! We do!

Who gives Andy easy draws?
Who hides Sharapova's flaws?
We do! We do!

Who gave Korda all his juice?
Who keeps Patrick in the booth?
We do! We do!

Who makes Fed's opponents lose?
Who makes Safin's brain obtuse?
We do! We do!

Who made Andre lose his hair?
Who hid Boris' illicit affairs?
We do! We do!

Who gives Datacipher a sixth sense?
Keeps all the detractors dense?
We do! We do!

Stonecutters World Order

Fee
04-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Hmmm, that has a vaguely familiar ring to it. How would Matt Groening feel about that post?

tykrum
04-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes, I do play club tennis here. I'm trying out for the competitive team in the fall. :D

Good luck, obviously you have a great team there. Especially that #1 guy, he was amazing. His matches in the national championship were awesome, I was cheering for them and doing the hook em horns symbol and everything. Those A&M players were jerks, especially their #1 guy and girl. It was fun seeing your guy kick his ***. We'll be back next year, hopefully we will be very competitive with good teams like yours.

SaritaUTHorns
04-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Good luck, obviously you have a great team there. Especially that #1 guy, he was amazing. His matches in the national championship were awesome, I was cheering for them and doing the hook em horns symbol and everything. Those A&M players were jerks, especially their #1 guy and girl. It was fun seeing your guy kick his ***. We'll be back next year, hopefully we will be very competitive with good teams like yours.

Yeah, the A&M players are definitely jerks! You're right about that! Most people I've met from there are that way. And yes, our #1 guy is amazing! I've watched him play plenty of times! You know what really sucks about the Final at Nationals? We won more matches than A&M but they counted by games and not matches. They won like 4 more games than we did. :( Oh well, maybe next year!

SaritaUTHorns
04-25-2005, 01:49 PM
You go girlfriend! Keep us posted (if you remember).

I think Andy's use of that sign is just a show of appreciation. He works out at UT whenever he's home, so maybe he's just trying to be a good neighbor.

Thanks Fee! :D I'll try my best to remember to keep you posted! And about Andy, I agree. And I sure do love having him as a neighbor! :D

Datacipher
04-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Hmmm, that has a vaguely familiar ring to it. How would Matt Groening feel about that post?

Groening knows his place.... ;-)

Jill
04-25-2005, 07:55 PM
I didn't think anyone could be a fan of both Nebraska and Texas at the same time.....isn't that a bad thing?Andy's just diplomatic :p seriously, though... why wouldn't it be possible to like both? And the more pressing question might be: who cares how Andy chooses to show his appreciation for his fans? I mean, next thing we know, the thumbs-up is going to be a symbol of some evil sect or something ;)

Rabbit
04-26-2005, 06:15 AM
Andy's just diplomatic :p seriously, though... why wouldn't it be possible to like both? And the more pressing question might be: who cares how Andy chooses to show his appreciation for his fans? I mean, next thing we know, the thumbs-up is going to be a symbol of some evil sect or something ;)

I don't know how football works outside the SEC, but I can say there is no way, no way, that you're ever going to see me saying "Hotty totty......". In college football, you're either for/against. I guess my point is that Roddick has said he's a lifelong Husker fan and now all of a sudden he likes the tea sippers.

35ft6
04-26-2005, 07:31 AM
We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

Stonecutters World Order Hahaha. I wish you could have kept Steven Guttenberg in there somehow but, still, well done!

Bungalo Bill
04-26-2005, 09:11 PM
We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

We do! We do!

Stonecutters World Order

LOL< oh my god. Spoken from a true drop out. LOL

Datacipher
04-27-2005, 01:47 AM
LOL< oh my god. Spoken from a true drop out. LOL

ROFL:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=383026#post383026

Datacipher
04-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Hahaha. I wish you could have kept Steven Guttenberg in there somehow but, still, well done!

I know, I know, but I was already pushing it in length ;-)