PDA

View Full Version : Critique - Grounstokes + Serves (a twofer!)

Jonny S&V
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Alrighty, my buddy and hitting partner Vyse (TT username) made this video in late October, and he wanted me to post it and get some comments and tips. Here's the lowdown:

18 yrs old
3.0-3.5 NTRP (3.0 in this video)
Playing for 8 months
Babolat Aeropro Drive w/Cortex
Semi-western forehand, two-handed backhand
Modified-continental grip on serve

We've been working on improving everything of his, so some of the things he is doing wrong in this video we have corrected (such as trying to add a little more topspin to the forehand), but there are a lot of things to work on.

DISCLAIMER: Turn your sound down before you watch this vid, something went wrong with the audio and all you can hear is static...

I tried my best to give him rally shots down the middle-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbhGNqfPs9w

Happy critiquing!

Doc Hollidae
01-03-2010, 04:42 PM
His knees are still bent when he hits his serve. Needs to get that toss up and exploded into the ball more. It'll help add some pop and spin.

TennisCoachFLA
01-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Just a few things noticed after a quick look.

His split steps are inconsistent, many times none at all. Get into the habit of doing them every time.

Forehand.....needs much more rotation into the shot, load and explode. He looks like he is posing after his forehands sometimes. How many pros do you know who hit a hard forehand that they have time to get ready for and still have one foot or toe so nicely planted on the ground? Get into the ball, don't just wait for every ball, take some on the rise if you have the time. More small adjustment steps at times, he needs to get into better position on some balls so he is balanced.

The forehand he hit at .54 is nice.

Backhand.....it is all arms. Again, rotate the upper body, load up that core, explode into the shot. He is a big healthy young guy....no offense....but an elite 8 year old I know gets more on HER backhands by loading up her core!

Serve....agree with the other poster, his knees are still bent. Get that toss higher and explode up there. His little habit of moving the front foot forward a step after his bounce routine is not helpful. I bet he foot faults a lot.

He needs to improve his flexibility. You can see he is stiff in his core. Get a trainer to work on his core strength and rotational flexibility.

Nice athlete, keep on improving.

Vyse
01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Hello, I am the one you are critiqueing which I very much appreciate. Thank you.

In these winter months, I am not able to play as much, but it is possible I will be playing Tuesday. I will definetly work on the things you two have mentioned. I will have to look up some flexibilty stuff. I am definelty not very flexible.

Jonny S&V
01-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Calling out BB, where are you? Have a field day with this one!

ttbrowne
01-05-2010, 05:45 AM
Groundstrokes: Sometimes, You are waiting til the ball is on you before turning your shoulders. (Gets better as the video rolls on)

Serve: I'd like to see your left arm stay up a second longer after your toss. I think bringing it down so quickly takes away power on your serve.

smoothtennis
01-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Groundies both sides, you seem to lock your hips and core at contact most of the time. Notice the nice forehands and 54 and 56 seconds, you DO rotatate your hips and shoulders through the stroke. Most of the time you don't do this. This is just habit.

Backhand looks very stiff. I wonder if a small loop would help build some fluidity and rhythm here? Also, you lock your core even more on the backhand side. Watch your body in the vid at contact, just watch the hips and shoulders, then watch some pro's and you can see what I am talkiing about.

Jaewonnie
01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
On the serve:

You seem to sorta tense up during your windup an relax partway into the stroke.