PDA

View Full Version : Things to focus on when coming back to tennis?

firstblud
01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
had a severe bout of flu and allergy symptoms that i'm just getting over with now, so i've stopped playing now for the past 3 to 4 months. i started to do a bit of jogging/jump roping today to get some conditioning in today.

are there a few key things i should focus on when i come back, or should i keep my mind clear and just play? so far, i'm thinking of just focusing on my split step and footwork and hopefully my hitting falls into place somehow.

SystemicAnomaly
01-05-2010, 03:34 AM
I'd focus on the ball and on the contact zone (keeping the head still). No, not meant to a joke. If focusing on your split-step and footwork seems to work for you then, by all means, do this as well.

sureshs
01-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Keep your eye on the ball

Blake0
01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
technique, footwork, clean contact, meet ball in front of you, hit through the ball, and consistency. Don't think about technique if you already have it ingrained in your mind or it isn't feeling awkward. Really just make sure you aren't developing bad habits and focus on fundamentals.

LeeD
01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Doncha gotta hit some balls on the court first, then decide what you need to do? 3-4 months off is nothing. I've taken 10 years off a few times.
Go to the courts, watch some tennis, and get the stoke back.

tennis24
01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
clean strokes..don't kill the crap out of it yet just go for topspin

masterxfob
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Keep your eye on the ball

ditto. just keep your eye on the ball as long as possible. it seems that most times i start shanking balls is due to that reason alone.

charliefedererer
01-06-2010, 07:51 AM
If you can't find a hitting partner, hit against the wall. Tennis is a hand/eye coordination game. Although the wall won't help you with controlling hitting depth, it can be great to groove your contact point on both groundstrokes and volleys. And be creative. Don't be afraid to run yourself alternating backhands and forehands. Finish up with practicing first your second, then your first serves.

Tennis is a start and stop game. Jogging and jumping rope are indeed great way to start rebuilding your cardiovascular reserve. But consider adding in more alternating short sprints with periods of short rest (High Intensity Interval Training) and agility drills to get your body ready for the quick starts and stops and changes in direction:
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/intervaltraining.html

And to avoid incurring a shoulder, elbow or wrist overuse injury, consider the following exercises: www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf

Ripper014
01-06-2010, 08:02 AM
3-4 months is nothing I have done that many times... a few times on the court and your timing will come back. I just came back after 15 years and always thought I could maintain a certain level of tennis... I was wrong... My strokes were pretty much intact... but my timing was horrible. It has taken me months to get back to a decent game of tennis and I know it will never be what it was... and being 15 years older has not helped the situation either.

But I am back and enjoying the game as much as when I left.

For tips I would echo what others have said... work on form and seeing the ball.