PDA

View Full Version : 4 of my 5 Browsers not Connecting to the Internet

Bud
01-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Like the title states... I have the following browsers: IE, Chrome, Safari, Opera and Firefox (which is my default browser).

For some reason, all browsers, except my default Firefox, will NOT connect to the Internet.

Not sure when they all stopped working but was curious as to why.

Anyone have a similar problem and/or suggestions on how to repair this issue?

- - - - - - - - - -

Some additional Info:

I tried the Winsock fix and it didn't do anything. Wondering if it's some other issue with the Hosts file?

I did recently change my default browser to Firefox... but can't see how that would have disabled all the others.

Also, was recently attacked after visiting some website checking out song lyrics. Whatever it tried to install on my computer triggered my Spysweeper (Webroot)... which disallowed a couple of malware start-up programs it tried installing. After rebooting, all seemed to be fine. Ran a full sweep with Spysweeper and AVG Antivirus and nothing found.

jamauss
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Perhaps try disabling your network adapter and re-enabling it.

Or stuff like flush your DNS cache, ipconfig /release & /renew, etc.

fed_the_savior
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Whatever it tried to install on my computer triggered my Spysweeper (Webroot)... which disallowed a couple of malware start-up programs it tried installing. After rebooting, all seemed to be fine. Ran a full sweep with Spysweeper and AVG Antivirus and nothing found.

I'd guess this is the cause of the problem. Only thing I can think at the moment is reinstall the browsers and then try a system restore roll back. :?

Bud
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Will give that a try

I think this is the cause of the problem. Only thing I can think at the moment is reinstall the browsers and then if that doesnt work try a system restore roll back. :?

This is my choice of last resort :D

- - - - -

Keep the suggestion coming, please!

soyizgood
01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Hmmm...

Are you connected wirelessly to your internet connection? If so, disconnect and re-connect. Could be a weak signal.

Go to start -> Run (assuming you're not on Windows 7 in which case you'll hold down the window button and press R) and type cmd. You'll get a black window. In there type ipconfig. If you get something like 169.254.x.y, 0.0.0.0, or anything different from your normal IP address (i.e. 192.168.x.y), you may need to re-enable your network adapter.

Go to start -> Run (assuming you're not on Windows 7 in which case you'll hold down the window button and press R) and type cmd. In the black window, type ping yahoo.com to see if you are receiving packets. If you are, then your internet connection is okay, but it doesn't rule out an inconsistent connection.

If you ignored all of the above, just reboot your modem, restart your PC and see what happens.

-Soy

Bud
01-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Hmmm...

Are you connected wirelessly to your internet connection? If so, disconnect and re-connect. Could be a weak signal.

Go to start -> Run (assuming you're not on Windows 7 in which case you'll hold down the window button and press R) and type cmd. You'll get a black window. In there type ipconfig. If you get something like 169.254.x.y, 0.0.0.0, or anything different from your normal IP address (i.e. 192.168.x.y), you may need to re-enable your network adapter.

Go to start -> Run (assuming you're not on Windows 7 in which case you'll hold down the window button and press R) and type cmd. In the black window, type ping yahoo.com to see if you are receiving packets. If you are, then your internet connection is okay, but it doesn't rule out an inconsistent connection.

If you ignored all of the above, just reboot your modem, restart your PC and see what happens.

-Soy

Will try these. It's been awhile since troubleshooting an Internet connection... and it's coming back to me hearing your suggestions.

I'm assuming the packets are being transferred since FireFox works properly.

Bud
01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Anyone have experience with a bad Hosts file? Could this be the issue?

soyizgood
01-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Not likely. The hosts file only comes into play when you're having problems resolving an IP address to a specific web site (usually for internal sites). I RARELY play with this file and it's hidden for good reason.

I doubt your winsock file is having a problem since you are connecting to the internet currently. You could do a full flush of your cookies and cache for all of your browsers (though I find that to be unnecessary). I find it strange that you're connecting fine with 1 of the 5 browsers. Maybe one or more of them were competing for the same portions of your RAM?

You could do an ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew from the command prompt. Assuming you get a working IP address then do an ipconfig /flushdns then ipcconfig /registerdns .

Then if you have a wireless connection, make sure you're connected to your network and not someone else's.

mtommer
01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Do you have proxy connection at all? Firefox may be setup to auto detect it if you do have a proxy and the others may not be.

soyizgood
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Do you have proxy connection at all? Firefox may be setup to auto detect it if you do have a proxy and the others may not be.

That's a good one to check. If it's for home, I doubt the user would have a deliberate proxy setup. Though I have seen cases of it being inadvertently checked on various browsers. IE can auto detect proxies and I'm sure Chrome, Cometbird, Safari, and the others do as well by default.

Bud
01-03-2010, 11:37 PM

That's a good one to check. If it's for home, I doubt the user would have a deliberate proxy setup. Though I have seen cases of it being inadvertently checked on various browsers. IE can auto detect proxies and I'm sure Chrome, Cometbird, Safari, and the others do as well by default.

No proxy connection :)

mikeler
01-04-2010, 04:49 AM

Have you ever modified your Hosts file? I actually downloaded a custom Hosts file that blocks ads. Works better than any extension out there.

mtommer
01-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Do you know your DNS addresses? Try to manually input them and see if the browsers can then resolve the IP/DNS addresses thereby connecting.

Fearsome Forehand
01-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm not quite geeky enough to be fully qualified to help you but I'll try. ;o)

The fact you can connect with Firefox indicates your internet connection and wireless connection are working okay. You are just experiencing a strange block everything but Firefox problem; very odd.

The first thing I would do is de-select Firefox as your default browser since you mentioned you did that recently and now you are having problems with your other browsers. Seems like a large coincidence. Perhaps your OS (Vista?) or antivirus programs(s) are now blocking everything but the default browser. Weird but possible.

If that doesn't solve the problem, the second thing I would do is reboot your modem and router and then reboot your computer. Often rebooting immediately solves a strange problem like this one.

You could also try completely deleting and reinstalling one of the troublesome browsers and see it it will work properly after reinstall.

If you are still having the problem after trying the above, it might be related to a proxy setting, a firewall setting, admin setting, or some other internet connection setting. It could be also be an anti-virus/AVG setting. A multitude of possible causes and one could speculate endlessly.

If all else fails, system restore may be the cure you are seeking and it is a whole lot easier than troubleshooting a weird problem. Or, simply learn to really like Firefox. ;o)

If you do a google search for browser won't connect you will get lots of ideas for potential causes of this obscure problem. Good luck.

http://www.google.com/search?q=browser+wont+connect+to+internet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

SuperFly
01-04-2010, 12:42 PM

This, and why do you need 5 browsers? I use Mozilla primarily but sometimes when my computer is under some heavy pressure I use Opera because it's lighter.

Bud
01-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Well... something worked. After rebooting, all browsers are now operable :)

origmarm
01-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Not sure what kind of firewall program you may have Bud but we had Norton for a while at work and it was continually doing stuff like this and blocking internet access and then reinstating it to programs at will. "Fantastic" bit of software. We now have Kaspersky due to me finally losing my cool with it (and by consequence my laptop)....

Fearsome Forehand
01-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Well... something worked. After rebooting, all browsers are now operable :)

When in doubt, reboot all devices involved. It is first thing I try when faced with one of these bizarre computer issues.