PDA

View Full Version : Golfer Elbow Issues

botticelli
01-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I know a lot of players on here have remarked on tennis elbow, but I was wondering what to do regarding golfers elbow. I believe I got golfers elbow from reducing my grip size from 4 3/8 to 4 1/4 thus overgripping the racquet. I was using the OS Youtek Radical with poly, but I have always used poly strings with no problems. I am now using the Babolat Aeropro Drive racquet with 4 3/8 grip and I still have stiffness in the elbow, but the weird thing regarding my issue with golfers elbow is I only feel it on serves not hitting groundstokes.

I have always used the Head Radical OS line and never had any issues with tennis elbow so I am pretty sure it was because I reduced the grip size on the handle to 4 1/4. Question what is the best way to get rid of the elbow pain. Soreness is located inside the elbow not outside which would be tennis elbow.

Thanks

scotus
01-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Take weeks to months off. No tennis, no activity that causes pain in that region.

Ice, ice, ice. And then more icing. Did I mention icing?

When pain subsides, you can begin rehab with the thera-band. Begin with the lightest resistance.

Upon return, ditch poly and use natural gut. Best to go with more flexible racquet rather than the Babolat Pure Drive. (I don't know anything about your Head Youtek). Remember that grip size can vary greatly among manufacturers. Chances are, L3 on your Babolat is much bigger than L3 on your Head. I suggest going with a handle that you feel is a bit too small for you and then putting on 2 layers of overgrips to bring it up to the right size. This will give you added protection from shock and vibration.

I wonder how old you are. Around when you turn 40, your body's ability to heal itself begins to diminish drastically. So don't be surprised if you get a golfer's elbow even though you have been playing tennis for 30 years without any problem.

mikeler
01-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I got triceps tendinitis a year ago then developed golfer's elbow (GE) as I changed my form to try and ease the pain. I tried cortisone pills a few months ago which got rid of both, but both came right back a few weeks later. I'm done with the triceps pain but still have some slight pain from the GE. Here is my laundry list of what I have done recently. Played 2 sets of singles yesterday and it only hurt slightly on mishits, so I'm close to beating it I hope:

1) No tennis for 1 month, then came back slowly just doing ground strokes on the weekends at first.
2) I've done probably 12 sessions of electrostimulation and ultrasonic therapy.
3) Bought arm friendly rackets and arm friendly strings strung at the lowest tension.
4) Use Ice/Heat packs twice a day.
5) Use an air cast and a heat sleeve when I play.
6) I stop playing immediately if the pain is bad. I defaulted a match for the first time in my life a few weeks ago.

botticelli
01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the advice. Its weird because when I hit groundstrokes the GE does not flare up and there is no pain. Only serving. I cannot switch from the Babolat Aerodrive because I just got sponsored by Babolat. In fact I just received the new Babolat Aeropro Drive GT and started hitting with that racquet this past weekend.

I reside in Texas and the tournaments start up here in Feb so I have thought of ordering a portable ultrasound unit from amazon for around $70.00 perhaps that will help out.

The last month I was still lifting free weights and my GE felt a lot better, but over the weekend when I was hitting I felt it when I started serving. Figured I should stop lifting and continue cardio only. What really sucks I have never been injured from playing tennis.

mikeler
01-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the advice. Its weird because when I hit groundstrokes the GE does not flare up and there is no pain. Only serving. I cannot switch from the Babolat Aerodrive because I just got sponsored by Babolat. In fact I just received the new Babolat Aeropro Drive GT and started hitting with that racquet this past weekend.

I reside in Texas and the tournaments start up here in Feb so I have thought of ordering a portable ultrasound unit from amazon for around $70.00 perhaps that will help out.

The last month I was still lifting free weights and my GE felt a lot better, but over the weekend when I was hitting I felt it when I started serving. Figured I should stop lifting and continue cardio only. What really sucks I have never been injured from playing tennis.

I have battled a ton on injuries and everyone I ended up just playing through the pain and eventually it went away. This is not one you can play through as I tried for a year. I even considered practicing left handed serves until it heals.

Take most of the month off and then start hitting some groundstrokes in a few weeks. How long have you had this? If it just started, it will probably heal quickly. How stiff is your racquet? Maybe you can talk to the sponsors and ask to use their most arm friendly racket until you heal.

I went to a chiropractor to have my treatments. I'm not sure if you can get the same level of treatment with a home unit. Do the research and let us know.

jrod
01-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Try using the flexbar and doing the reverse Tyler twist with it. I use this to fend off any possible flare ups....3x day, 15 reps.

mikeler
01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Try using the flexbar and doing the reverse Tyler twist with it. I use this to fend off any possible flare ups....3x day, 15 reps.

Which color did you buy?

jrod
01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Which color did you buy?

I bought red and green. The red is of no use to me since I don't have TE/GE ...far too easy. The green is also relatively easy but seems adequate. In retrospect I wish I had bought all 3 colors.

larry10s
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
in general, everything you read for tennis elbow works for golfers elbow excpet its usually serves and forehands that give trouble and its the flexors not extensors of the forearm you have to strengthen

chess9
01-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Lifting frequently will not bother GE because the lifts aren't violent, but progressive. It's the violence of the tennis stroke that causes sudden LOADING on the tendons.

Ice, rest, stretching, maybe cortisone, maybe some heat occasionally, no tennis for at least 4 weeks, and then some easy re-hab.

Good luck. I just recovered from a bad case of GE from a mis-hit using Luxilon Ace strung at 57. This was my first ever elbow problem.

-Robert

mikeler
01-05-2010, 04:41 AM
I bought red and green. The red is of no use to me since I don't have TE/GE ...far too easy. The green is also relatively easy but seems adequate. In retrospect I wish I had bought all 3 colors.

Thanks. My elbow is finally ready to begin the strengthening phase.

jrod
01-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks. My elbow is finally ready to begin the strengthening phase.

I'd start with the green then. The red seems very noodle like to me. The blue may be better than the green for routine maintenance, but the green seems sufficient.

mikeler
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Back to the GE issue, one more thing I forgot to mention is really baby your arm. If you are a right hander, make sure you do things like open door handles, squeeze bottles and turn jars with your left hand. I set my recovery back a week by not thinking and squeezing a big shampoo bottle with the injured wing.

charliefedererer
01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
AFTER the pain subsides, besides a Flexbar green or blue, consider doing more wrist curls and a handgrip exerciser. Virtually anything that increases the forearm muscle strength can help prevent against recurrence. Because these exercises seem so trivial compared to heavy lefting, they tend to be ignored.

TennisNinja
01-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I had Golfer's elbow. It always hurts just on serves, then on groundies also, then you can't hit those normally, only slicing and volleys, then it gets so bad you cant even slice without pain. I know, I played through it during tryouts and destroyed my arm. Not a good idea. But after lots of strength training for my arm and using a softer string my problems went away (plus I'm hitting in front of me more, I used to let the ball get behind me a bit).

86golf
01-09-2010, 06:10 AM
If your pain is coming from the serve, make sure you aren't getting into the "waiter" position. This is racquet facing the sky like a waiter tray. This puts huge stress on the medial epicondyle. Take some video of you serving to be sure the form is good. You might want to think about the Roddick motion.

Jamesm182
01-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I know a lot of players on here have remarked on tennis elbow, but I was wondering what to do regarding golfers elbow. I believe I got golfers elbow from reducing my grip size from 4 3/8 to 4 1/4 thus overgripping the racquet. I was using the OS Youtek Radical with poly, but I have always used poly strings with no problems. I am now using the Babolat Aeropro Drive racquet with 4 3/8 grip and I still have stiffness in the elbow, but the weird thing regarding my issue with golfers elbow is I only feel it on serves not hitting groundstokes.

I have always used the Head Radical OS line and never had any issues with tennis elbow so I am pretty sure it was because I reduced the grip size on the handle to 4 1/4. Question what is the best way to get rid of the elbow pain. Soreness is located inside the elbow not outside which would be tennis elbow.

Thanks

Hi

I suffered the same problem with golfers elbow, as diagnosed by my doctor. I was having a hit with a coach i know who i bounce ideas off. He said it could be my serving action. Im left handed and as I'm accelerating from the tropy position my elbow comes out, and then accelerate through the ball like a whip with my arm or like a long throw.

If you try to adjust your ball toss, you should be ok.

Also look at you string setup. I break any synthetic string after 3 hours, so i started using hybrids at a lower than usual tension, and this sorted it.

BreakPoint
01-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Lifting frequently will not bother GE because the lifts aren't violent, but progressive. It's the violence of the tennis stroke that causes sudden LOADING on the tendons.

Hmmmm....I would be careful lifting weights when you have golfers elbow. I has GE a few years ago and after a couple of months of rest doing nothing, I tried to strengthen my arms by doing some curls with dumbbells and ending up making my GE worse, and which set me back another 2 months. Apparently, doing curls with weights is one of the worst things you can go when trying to heal GE. But conversely, lifting weights do not seem to aggravate my tennis elbow at all.

charliefedererer
01-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Hmmmm....I would be careful lifting weights when you have golfers elbow. I has GE a few years ago and after a couple of months of rest doing nothing, I tried to strengthen my arms by doing some curls with dumbbells and ending up making my GE worse, and which set me back another 2 months. Apparently, doing curls with weights is one of the worst things you can go when trying to heal GE. But conversely, lifting weights do not seem to aggravate my tennis elbow at all.

Were you "pushing it" with relatively heavy weight for your curls, or just slowly trying to gain back some modest strenght?
Do you think there could be a difference?

chess9
01-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Everyone is different. If you get pain while doing curls I wouldn't do them. A lot of lifters get GE from barbell curls, wrist curls and a few other exercises. I've been lucky as this is the first incident of it. But, I'm now going to be vigilant about strings and tension. On the other hand, I went to the gym today and did wrist curls with 45 lbs and had no issues. I've actually never done that exercise before, as I saw no need for it. Now I see a need! ;)

-Robert

BreakPoint
01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Were you "pushing it" with relatively heavy weight for your curls, or just slowly trying to gain back some modest strenght?
Do you think there could be a difference?
No, I never "push it" with weights. I think I was only using 15lb. dumbbells. Yeah, I was just trying to slowly build some strength.

The problem is that the tendon that's injured with GE is the same tendon that is used to do arm curls with. You can feel the tendon being stretched when you do curls.

frankiep
01-14-2010, 10:10 AM
I have GE and it came from entering a fast serve contest. My Dr says that pitchers and quaterbacks get it too. It's the snapping of the wrist with the over head throwing motion. Rest and ice is the best. And as been said before baby the arm. My PT wanted me to wear a tennis eblow brace 24/7 for two weeks. It helped alot. You'd be suprised how much you use that tendon. Even typing on the computer can hurt it. I learned the brace doesn't do much but it does make you aware of how much you use that tendon/muscle doing everyday stuff.

You can rehab by taking a bucke of ball and hitting easy serves. It will hurt at first but you cna work through it. Just ice it right after. I use the ice packs that keep my beer cold. :)

good luck

charliefedererer
01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Everyone is different. If you get pain while doing curls I wouldn't do them. A lot of lifters get GE from barbell curls, wrist curls and a few other exercises. I've been lucky as this is the first incident of it. But, I'm now going to be vigilant about strings and tension. On the other hand, I went to the gym today and did wrist curls with 45 lbs and had no issues. I've actually never done that exercise before, as I saw no need for it. Now I see a need! ;)

-Robert

I think I was really neglecting doing foream work until your post on your own golfer's elbow. That, and the spat of other posts on tennis and golfer's elbow and the Flex Bar got me thinking that I should be doing more preventative work. I had been thinking that lifting heavier weights in other exercises with essentially locked wrist would be all that I should be doing to prevent tennis/golfer's elbow, especially never having been bothered by it. But during the coldest winter months when I am usually playing much less tennis and working more in the weight room, I am definitely trying to learn a lesson others are trying to teach, and doing more wrist curls and working with a Flex Bar Blue and hand gripper.

mikeler
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
I think I was really neglecting doing foream work until your post on your own golfer's elbow. That, and the spat of other posts on tennis and golfer's elbow and the Flex Bar got me thinking that I should be doing more preventative work. I had been thinking that lifting heavier weights in other exercises with essentially locked wrist would be all that I should be doing to prevent tennis/golfer's elbow, especially never having been bothered by it. But during the coldest winter months when I am usually playing much less tennis and working more in the weight room, I am definitely trying to learn a lesson others are trying to teach, and doing more wrist curls and working with a Flex Bar Blue and hand gripper.

This is a great plan. These are such frustrating injuries.

charliefedererer
01-14-2010, 04:14 PM
This is a great plan. These are such frustrating injuries.

But I thank you and the others that post about their problems because it should get us thinking on how to prevent them.