PDA

View Full Version : DII or DIII college tennis videos

agassi fan
01-04-2010, 03:58 PM
guys i have probably seen every USC tennis video on youtube and i wanted to see how the DI players compare to their DII and DIII counterparts. so if any body can post videos of matches, highlights, etc. in the DII or DIII divisions. that would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Dream_On
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Would like to see NJCAA video aswell plz?

And what is NAIA?

jgravagna
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
That depends on the program. DII and DIII have some very strong players.

DownTheLine
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Put it this way high level DII and DIII players can compete with some higher level DI players. People always say the divison doesn't matter, but more times then not it does.

I'll try and post some videos later.
No promises.

DrewRafter8
01-17-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAX0V-jXFw

Division 2. Video does not do him justice. This guy can play. He has his recruiting video too. I saw him play last spring, he's really improving.

DownTheLine
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVIURG3ijk0&feature=sub

His channel is the best.

martywebster
01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Put it this way high level DII and DIII players can compete with some higher level DI players.

How many of the universities in DIII do you think could compete with DI universities? I am really keen to know as I have applied to a couple DIII universities based on there academic merits however was wary of the level of tennis

MC10S
01-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Define D1 vs D3 and that is the true comparison.

Elite D3 vs Elite D1. D1, hand down in a BLOWOUT.
Elite D3 has the players to beat D1.

Remember that D1 is a function of the athletic department, usually football or basketball is the determination. Then there are things like enrollment, scholarships, etc.

We used to beat a few D1 teams a year, but we were not ELITE D3. However, we had guys on our team that chose to go to a d3 school instead of playing d1 in the SEC. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, there are plenty of d3 guys who had full ride offers to the top teir d1 schools. They chose academia over tennis. Happens every year.

MC10s,
Contributor
D3tennis.com

DownTheLine
01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Define D1 vs D3 and that is the true comparison.

Elite D3 vs Elite D1. D1, hand down in a BLOWOUT.
Elite D3 has the players to beat D1.

Remember that D1 is a function of the athletic department, usually football or basketball is the determination. Then there are things like enrollment, scholarships, etc.

We used to beat a few D1 teams a year, but we were not ELITE D3. However, we had guys on our team that chose to go to a d3 school instead of playing d1 in the SEC. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, there are plenty of d3 guys who had full ride offers to the top teir d1 schools. They chose academia over tennis. Happens every year.

MC10s,
Contributor
D3tennis.com

Last time I checked there's nothing wrong with going to Stanford, USC and UCLA.

d3tennis
01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
You are right, but there are ton's of "D1" colleges that don't match up academically to some D3 schools.

It also depends on what the student athlete wants.

Want small class sizes and lots of individual attention from professors? You go small school.

Big fish in a small pond in on-campus life? Likewise, you go small.

The top schools in d1 are the elites because they get the best of talent in the world, not just the US. That is not an experience for everyone. At that level, you are a "professional amateur". There is a lot of pressure for not much financial incentive in the way of scholarship money.

I don't think he was dogging D1, it is just that there are a ton of kids out there in NAIA/D3/D2 that CHOSE not to play D1. Numerous other D1 players transfer to "small school tennis" after their first year or two.

Skabeast121
02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
One kid on my team (d3) easily could've played D1 he trained with Ravi Yegyaramen (princeton) and other great players some who play at penn state, st john, etc. But he didn't want tennis to get in the way. Its a question of how much some of these kids want it

bertrevert
02-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Very interesting stuff guys - instructive on howe things get done at this age/stage - thanks!