PDA

View Full Version : Please help regarding college tennis

trade
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
This is my first post. I apologize for this coming after so many posts about trying to find a good fit for college tennis, but I need specific input for my case. I have searched other posts on this board, read other background info, and looked at collegeboard.com. I don't have anyone I can talk to who is really knowledgeable, let alone has firsthand experience, about tennis and college. I'm trying to take responsibility for myself, but I'm feeling mighty overwhelmed with the process.

I am a high school junior (male), a TennisRecruiting.net 2-star, have a 3.8 GPA taking AP classes, have average SAT scores on the traditional math and critical reading sections that the colleges pay attention to (darn...but I crush the new writing section that many colleges don't care about), and am a liberal arts type of guy. I have some good extracurricular activities and I work part-time.

We'll be able to afford about $20,000 a year in expenses. As for my residency, I'll be in Virginia for my senior year of high school (it's a long story). I know my SAT scores and financial limitations will eliminate me from a lot of schools, but I want to explore as many options as possible. I will send letters to coaches and make a video in the next two months.

I want to play college tennis at the highest level that I can. I am a good student, but not a great student. As for social fit, I'll admit that I'm kinda shy, so a structured environment might be better for me, but I don't know if I'm the type where, except for the tennis team, everyone knows everyone's business. But who knows? I've read enough to know that I've got to pick a school that I'm happy with regardless of tennis (e.g., I could get injured). Anyway, I've got a lot to figure out.

Based on the info I've provided above, I would appreciate recommendations and ideas about what colleges I should think about. Thanks.

ClarkC
01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I think you should probably look into George Mason University in Fairfax (northern Virginia, DC suburbs).

What part of Virginia will you be living in?

joshburger
01-04-2010, 05:25 PM
james madison?

trade
01-04-2010, 06:00 PM
I think you should probably look into George Mason University in Fairfax (northern Virginia, DC suburbs).

What part of Virginia will you be living in?

Thank you for the response. I've researched GMU. Looks like a school I could have a shot at. But I'm told that it's a "different" kind of university...students leave on the weekends...not a lot of identity with the school. Not sure what all of that means. Not that it would matter as long as I'm playing tennis.

We are looking at the Northern VA area.

trade
01-04-2010, 06:07 PM
james madison?

Thanks. I'd love JMU. Its tennis program has been getting a lot stronger and, from what I read, is probably beyond a 2-star like me. I'd love to give it a shot because I think it would be a good academic fit for me.

I hit with an '09 JMU graduate this summer. He said that the club team was lousy...not worth his while. I'd say he was a 1-star in his day. If I can't make the school team, I'd really want a competitive club situation.

jgravagna
01-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi thread,

I am the asst. womens tennis coach at queens college in ny. You should contact the men's tennis coach at chenut hill college in phli. or university of phil both schools might be a good fit. any other questions feel free to contact me

Coach Joseph Gravagna

trade
01-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi thread,

I am the asst. womens tennis coach at queens college in ny. You should contact the men's tennis coach at chenut hill college in phli. or university of phil both schools might be a good fit. any other questions feel free to contact me

Coach Joseph Gravagna

Thanks, Coach. I'll follow up on your suggestions.

mkraw8
01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
I grew up in nova so I know what you're looking at. James Madison is definitely on the rise. George mason is a good school and has a pretty good tennis team. They also have some good recruits coming up. You should look into Christopher Newport in Norfolk. A good school and good DIII tennis. Maybe look at radford and mary washington. Let me know if you have any other questions and maybe I can get you in touch with the right people. Best of luck.

MC10S
01-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Where do you WANT to be playing?

Is there a part of the country you DON'T want to play in?

Lots of college in Texas that are fantastic to play for. I played in Mississippi, and had a great experience.

Where were you a resident before VA?

MC10s,
Contributor
D3tennis.com

west coast 2 hander
01-21-2010, 03:12 PM
You need to have more points of interest than that. What ARE you looking for in a school? Visit some schools/watch the team play/practice to get an idea of what you like/don't like. To compare you have to have something to compare it to.

tennisjon
01-21-2010, 07:10 PM
I coach at Drew University in Madison, NJ. Its an expensive school, as are a lot of private schools. Many private schools, however, have more financial aid available than public schools. We give out, on average, about $17,000 per person in financial aid. We are a small, private, liberal arts college, with a winning tradition (9 straight conference championships). That being said, if you are staying in Virginia, I would look at Christopher Newport. I have met the coach before and not only are they good, but they have a good coach. Also, Salisbury in Maryland has a good D3 program. Check us out first though. hehe.

trade
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks to all who have helped with info.

mkraw8: I'm still learning about my options, but you understand the situation. I'll let you know if I have questions when I find out more.

tennisjon: Coach, thanks a lot for your message. Sounds like a great program!

trade
01-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Should add that I'm willing to go just about anywhere on the east coast. But my opportunities to visit are really limited, so somewhere around the Middle Atlantic States is probably it. And, as mentioned, around $20,000 a year is probably my family's limit. Thanks.

tennisjon
02-10-2010, 11:14 AM
You are welcome. It is a very good program. Our 1st singles are usually 3 star recruits (our 1 on our women's team is a 4 star). After that 2nd is usually a 2 star and 3-6 are usually 1 star. Our school is expensive, but we offer a tremendous amount of financial aid to those who academically and financially qualify. Please email the head coach or me if you have any questions.

groundbreaker
02-10-2010, 03:54 PM
You've got plenty of options as a 2-star in VA, and my guess is you'll probably have an even better resume by the time your senior season is done. I'd definitely look at Mason, JMU, CNU, and Mary Wash.

alb1
02-12-2010, 09:06 AM
If you are interested in living and going to school near a large city, check out Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. Good academic school, respected and knowledgable coach, good facilities. D3 program has been regionally ranked the last few years but is in the shadow of Emory here in the Atlanta. Current #1 player is originally from Virginia and they are just a couple of players away from putting the program on the map. Atlanta offers pretty decent year round weather, easy access to all major sports leagues and concerts. The school is expensive like most D3's but they do a good job with financial aid packages.

trade
02-15-2010, 06:52 AM
If you are interested in living and going to school near a large city, check out Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. Good academic school, respected and knowledgable coach, good facilities. D3 program has been regionally ranked the last few years but is in the shadow of Emory here in the Atlanta. Current #1 player is originally from Virginia and they are just a couple of players away from putting the program on the map. Atlanta offers pretty decent year round weather, easy access to all major sports leagues and concerts. The school is expensive like most D3's but they do a good job with financial aid packages.

Thanks! This is the kind of specific suggestion I would have never been able to come up on my own. I know that Emory is over my head, but Oglethorpe, with some financial assistance looks to be doable and, as you said, looks to have a good future with 2-stars and 3-stars.