PDA

View Full Version : rope jumping.

cesarmo03
01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
hi guys today i started a personal workout i want to know if it is ok if i want to jump rope everyday, it will not affect my results on the weight lifting area.

The Watchman
01-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Jump roping is just another conditioning tool.

It's like asking is it ok to run everyday or cycle every day on top of your weight lifting? Depends on your work capacity (ie how "fit" you are, in common parlance) and how hard you're running/cycling and lifting.

For some, they'll need all their recuperative ability to recover from their weight sessions. For others, light conditioning (aka "active recovery") will actually improve recuperation. For others still, they'll need additional work to burn off bodyfat. For yet others, they'll need more conditioning due to their goals (eg they might be a competitive runner/cyclist/rope jumper).

Also, after a while jumping rope by jogging on the spot will feel like jogging (ie won't be overly challenging). When this becomes the case and you need higher intensity from rope jumping, start sprinting on the spot (with crossovers) and double unders (rope goes around twice for each jump).

cesarmo03
01-06-2010, 01:44 AM
thanks so much watchman.

Im 20 years old.
Weight: 71 kg or 145 lbs.
Height: 1.80 mts.

Been doing sport all my life soccer since i was little practice tennis for a year when i was 11 and now i been playing tennis for another year

My goal is to improve my speed, my endurance and have more power on my game. i want gain like 7 only in my legs.

This is my "routine":

jumping squat, body pushup, forehand and backhand with a medicine ball, deadlift, calf raise, and planks also side planks.

for cardio i want to jump rope and jog. i do my cardio after i hit the weights(for 10 minutes) but on my recovery days i want to know if it is ok to jump rope, i wanna jump for like 30 minutes.

I eat 6 times a day, drink protein shakes(count like a meal) and drink creatine

So what do u think?

Thanks so much for your attention and your advice.

charliefedererer
01-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Jumping rope is a great cardiovascular exercise for tennis. But it also has its limitations as it won't prepare you for quick starts and stops and changes in direction the way sprints, high intensity interval training and agility drills will. There is the same problem with jogging, in that jogging will definitely get you more fit, but it isn't tennis specific. So while both of these activities are helpful, you might want to check out these sites: http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_437_269.pdf
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/intervaltraining.html
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/tennis-training.html

Of course playing and practicing tennis with full intensity by concentrating on running to every ball and quickly recovering to a neutral position so you can get to the next ball is also great training.

cesarmo03
01-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks so much charliefederer for those sites and drills they will be in my training session i can do those on my cardio days right? i also forgot to put that in my jogging session i will sprint, the distance im going to jog and sprint is like 8-10 km.

El Diablo
01-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Why use a rope? That kind of rotational movement is the type that can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Just jump.

The Watchman
01-07-2010, 09:32 PM
On whether jumping rope for 30 minutes on your off days as active recovery is a good idea ...

Active recovery (low intensity work, like jogging) is shown to aid recovery during one's rest days. Whether jumping rope is a low intensity activity (like jogging) depends on the trainee.

So my advice is to try it and see. Don't change anything else in your "routine" - if you feel you're getting beat up by doing rope jumping for half an hour on your rest days, then it's too much at the moment (so either back off, eat more and/or sleep more). Maybe later when you've built up your work capacity further.

There are people who can do truly amazing things. See for example this chick: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/is-this-australias-fittest-woman/story-e6frey6i-1225787686198

Not many people can do 24 x 400m intervals in a session - on top of the other stuff that she does - 6 times a week.

But she's built up to that level of ability and work capacity over time. Diligence and persistence of effort wins in the long run.

And I haven't read anywhere that rope jumping causes carpal tunnel syndrome. Admittedly, I haven't searched for any study either. However, athletes have been jumping rope for a very, very long time ...

cesarmo03
01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
thanks so much watchmen and charliefederer for your advices.

cphstennis
01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
ive been jump roping alot lately. trying to do it for about 20 minutes a day and i see a difference in my game. im not sure if its all in my head but i play alot better when i jump rope. i alternate between boxer step and then one foot jumping

cesarmo03
01-13-2010, 12:54 PM
thank so much for your opinion cphstennis.

SuperDuy
01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
It helps you become light on your feet,

number.432
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Why use a rope? That kind of rotational movement is the type that can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Just jump.

never heard/known of anyone with carpal tunnel from rope jumping.

jumping rope improves your coordination while improving your cardio. excellent exercise indeed.