PDA

View Full Version : Federer serve copycat question

crash1929
01-04-2010, 07:46 PM
when federer rocks, he starts weight front then back then front. question is when he rocks back how much weight moves back? does the center of balance stay forward? move back? kinda in the middle? i had in the past let most of my weight rock back very very briefly. but today i kept most of my weight always foward and seemed to have better results.... not sure whats right.

Jonny S&V
01-04-2010, 07:55 PM
when federer rocks, he starts weight front then back then front. question is when he rocks back how much weight moves back? does the center of balance stay forward? move back? kinda in the middle? i had in the past let most of my weight rock back very very briefly. but today i kept most of my weight always foward and seemed to have better results.... not sure whats right.

Center of balance is in the middle for a split-second and then moves up and forward, into the court.

aimr75
01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
if you notice many players lift their front foot when they rock back, so the weight is not completely even, but i dont think its heavily weighted to the back foot

i think you should just feel balanced doing it without alot of weight over your back foot

crash1929
01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
thanks for the input. i know this is a finer question but i'm glad i asked it. i think i had a tendency to rock back too much and that was causing my head and body to move around too much.

Also I recently heard on yftb that your palm should face down on the back swing. It made me experiment a little with my serve in the following way: if you do the down together up together motion when your raquet hand is parallel to the ground where should your palm face? down? WELL when my arm is parralel to the ground my palm has always faced out at a 90 degree angle to the ground, NOT down towards the ground....which is right? I notice if your palm is pointing toward the ground at this point you seem to get more leverage. could be wrong. is there a right answer?

Jonny S&V
01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
thanks for the input. i know this is a finer question but i'm glad i asked it. i think i had a tendency to rock back too much and that was causing my head and body to move around too much.

Also I recently heard on yftb that your palm should face down on the back swing. It made me experiment a little with my serve in the following way: if you do the down together up together motion when your raquet hand is parallel to the ground where should your palm face? down? WELL when my arm is parralel to the ground my palm has always faced out at a 90 degree angle to the ground, NOT down towards the ground....which is right? I notice if your palm is pointing toward the ground at this point you seem to get more leverage. could be wrong. is there a right answer?

The 90 degree angle is right. If he dropped your racquet and opened his hand in the middle of his motion, Federer's palm would be pointing straight down. I think this is was FYB meant.

zapvor
01-05-2010, 05:40 AM
i think part of the reason they want you to do that is because so you dont open the face up and end up slapping the ball. by keeping palm down you will be more inclined to throw your arm up in the correct motion

crash1929
01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
so to be clear about the face of the raquet on my serve:
1. Freeze frame when my raquet arm is parallel to the ground
2. At this point I used to have the face of the raquet pointing more forward- in the same direction my eyes are looking (i line up with my front foot nearly paralled to the baseline) not completely forward but close.
3. FYTB says point your palm down on take back. So I'm trying to experiment and keep the palm facing down until just past the point where my arms are parallel to the ground.

NEXT QUESTION:

how much do you open up on the serve? when I exagerate and really try to open up on the take back; ie really try to reach for the back fence with my raquet and create a big arch- I feel like I get more leverage. However I notice federer seems to drop the raquet back and starts to bring it up before the widest possible arch is created.

on the other hand i've seen pictures of players just totally opened up in a position to create a huge arch. please advise.

cheers!