PDA

View Full Version : what's the best way to find hitting partners in your area?

mmaster
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
i'm looking to find some people to play with, and was wondering which method is the best.
usta find a partner seems to be the best, correct?

jamauss
01-04-2010, 10:43 PM
find our where the local courts/clubs are and inquire about times for drop-in whether it's singles or doubles. Joining a USTA League can help too. The most important part to me would be just being consistently active in tennis in some capacity.

mmaster
01-05-2010, 01:48 AM
what is this "drop-in"? i have not heard of this phrase before.

mikeler
01-05-2010, 04:11 AM
There are online leagues too if you are in a metropolitan area.

mmaster
01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
you mean USTA leagues?

sureshs
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
try tennisopolis.com and juump.com

and Craigslist activity partners

mmaster
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
thanks but nothing shows up at juump.com for my neighborhood. must be because it's still in beta.

blakesq
01-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I think he means, times when you can just go and play. here in connecticut we call them tennis parties, where you go to a local tennis club and pay $25 to play all night on indoor courts from about 7 to midnight, or longer. You don't have to know anyone, and you get paired up with other players, and usually play 1 set (or more), before you get paired up with someone else. Nice way to meet local tennis players.

Call your local tennis club and ask if they have anything like tennis parties, or drop-in play?

what is this "drop-in"? i have not heard of this phrase before.

Ripper014
01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Definitely a hard thing to do... but as mentioned you could try the internet route... with tennisopolis.com, juump.com, and Craigslist. But even where I am, and it is a big city there is not a lot of activity. I would say just get in somewhere... like a dropin for a club... develope some relationships with the players and your group of friends will grow quickly. Well if you are easy to get along with.

I had the same problem at the beginning of the year... I had moved to a new area and didn't know anyone. I met a nice group of people that invited me to play, who introduced me to another group... and then to a third and fourth group... each time leveling up. The thing about tennis communities is that someone always knows someone better... and are willing to introduce you to them.

mmaster
01-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I think he means, times when you can just go and play. here in connecticut we call them tennis parties, where you go to a local tennis club and pay $25 to play all night on indoor courts from about 7 to midnight, or longer. You don't have to know anyone, and you get paired up with other players, and usually play 1 set (or more), before you get paired up with someone else. Nice way to meet local tennis players.

Call your local tennis club and ask if they have anything like tennis parties, or drop-in play?

ugh i hate doubles though, i would like to play singles only. is that okay?

Yaz
01-09-2010, 08:45 AM
i'm looking to find some people to play with, and was wondering which method is the best.
usta find a partner seems to be the best, correct?

When I got back into tennis after 15 years, I started with Craiglist and found a couple of OK players. If you place an ad you should probably advertise for players a little above what you're looking for because I've found a lot of lower level people reply to find better hitting partners.

Many local parks have "regulars" that show up in the mornings and after work for pick-up play. Wide range of abilities so you should be able to find a couple there.

Finally I started playing USTA league and a few tourneys and met some more players. After a year I've got a decent network of about 10+ guys I can hit with with regularity.

zacinnc78
01-09-2010, 10:08 AM
http://tennispulse.org/ this is pretty active in my area even though i havent used it yet