PDA

View Full Version : Serena's injuries: getting old

Coria
04-23-2005, 09:07 AM
She's 23 and misses as many matches now as she plays. It's always something. Although this can't be proved, as myself and many others have stated on this forum, she'd do well to lose some weight--about 20 pounds. Maybe this would alleviate some strain on her joints, especially her problem knees and ankles (let alone every other part of her body). Again, all of this points to an inadequate fitness program. Also, she needs a top flight coach to keep her accountable, improve some of her faulty technique and oversee her approach to tennis. Her career is slowly wasting away.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Her win in the Australian Open this year, which was down to tons of luck and dreadful performances by Sharapova and Davenport, is probably a bad thing for her. It gives her the signal her current commitment level which is down the toilet, is good enough and she will still be able to win slams and get back to #1 with it. I have heard reports she practices about 2 hours a week on average, and does not fitness program.
She probably doesnt have time, too many entertainment awards shows to attend.
I agree she needs to lose weight. The strain of hauling all that blubber around probably causes stress on her various ligaments and body parts and causes injuries.

ragnaROK
04-23-2005, 09:43 AM
That's sad, I remember when she used to be really into fitness and all the commentators were talking about how everyone else in the WTA needed to step it up in fitness to match the Williams. Do you really think she's that much overweight, it looks more like muscle to me. Now Davenport looks like a different story.

wildbill88AA
04-23-2005, 10:01 AM
fed-sharapova had a much more difficult draw than serena at the ao, and lost a close 3 setter. maria clearly ran out of gas. saying marias performance was dreadful is a stretch. lindsays performance, was dreadful, however, lindsay played doubles, as well, and was also physically spent.

serenas constant injuries show serena is losing interest in tennis. and, is no longer wiling to play when she is not just right, physically or mentally. and when you've been number 1, you hate to become just another face on the tour, and losing to lower ranked players, which makes her even more disenchanted. the field has caught up with her and she can no longer intimidate.

nkhera1
04-23-2005, 04:05 PM
That's sad, I remember when she used to be really into fitness and all the commentators were talking about how everyone else in the WTA needed to step it up in fitness to match the Williams. Do you really think she's that much overweight, it looks more like muscle to me. Now Davenport looks like a different story.

No its fat, and if it is muscle, she could still afford to lose some. Look at her in the Australian Open this year and at Wimbledon like 2 years ago (not last year).

Chadwixx
04-23-2005, 04:12 PM
if u have seen her mom u know she will be a big girl. venus on the other hand takes after her dad.

Andrew.
04-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Lindsay has like zero body fat now.

The thing with Serena is that I do think she gets injured, sometimes. But for sure not half as often as she says she does. So it's hard to tell if she really is hurting or it's just a case of Bahamaitis.

antontd
04-23-2005, 04:49 PM
if u have seen her mom u know she will be a big girl. venus on the other hand takes after her dad.

If think her mom is big, you need to see her other sisters. They need 2 tickets each.

Pirc Defense
04-23-2005, 07:10 PM
If think her mom is big, you need to see her other sisters. They need 2 tickets each.

Ditto. They are grotesquely overweight. Serena is plain, good old fashioned fat. Her butt is out of control now, and she runs around on a tennis court. Check her out again in 10 years. That's going to be a huge woman.

DashaandSafin
04-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Whatever..i used to admire her but now i despise her...

Andy Zarzuela
04-23-2005, 07:25 PM
She's 23 and misses as many matches now as she plays. It's always something. Although this can't be proved, as myself and many others have stated on this forum, she'd do well to lose some weight--about 20 pounds. Maybe this would alleviate some strain on her joints, especially her problem knees and ankles (let alone every other part of her body). Again, all of this points to an inadequate fitness program. Also, she needs a top flight coach to keep her accountable, improve some of her faulty technique and oversee her approach to tennis. Her career is slowly wasting away.

Well I was working at Amelia Island when she fell. It was a nasty fall. Surprised that she didn't break her ankle. She literally, no joke, did a summersault!

tennisadict
04-23-2005, 11:48 PM
she is always injured

Objective Danny
04-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Injury wise, I question the veracity of Serena Williams.

And she is carrying 25 lbs of excess baggage. When a match goes to a third set it works against her.

Deuce
04-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Say what you like about her behind... but clearly most of the extra weight she's carrying is in her head...

Haka Boy
04-24-2005, 06:24 AM
http://tinypic.com/4lnfhw

Yeah I agree most of her weight is with her head, butt I think her backside isnít that far behind.
All jokes aside, I canít understand why she is still on the tour considering she has publicly voiced that tennis is basically last on her list of priorities? Either commit to tennis or get out.

Thomas
04-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Guess what, she's injured again...

federerhoogenbandfan
04-24-2005, 02:07 PM
If tennis really is the last of her priorities it really speaks negatively to the state of womens tennis today since she is still one of the 3 or 4 dominant women, and has won the Australian Open, and been in the finals of Wimbledon and the year-end, in the last 8 months.

RealityPolice
04-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Guess what, she's injured again...

Actually, it's apparently the same injury she got at AI, where she rolled her ankle. Whatever her past injuries, this one was apparently pretty serious, and certainly not a con-job.

Rabbit
04-24-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm no Serena fan, but with all the hinderances described above, with all the other players not getting as tough a draw, she still won a Grand Slam event at the beginning of the year. She had to beat everybody who beat the players who had tougher draws. As I said, I'm no Serena fan, but you have to give the devil his due. She's winning the biggest events in the game with no real effort expended at the most important part of the game, training and practice. I would never use genius with her game, but she is very gifted physically. True, she doesn't fit the mold of a professional tennis player physically, but she's probably the strongest girl on tour. I do agree however that she could stand to lose about ten - twenty pounds.

Exile
04-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Those 20-25 lbs....her um......assets.......
But doesn't she get all of her power from that?

How does someone that short serve 130?
You know how...

All joking aside, Serena is missing more matches than Anna missed second serves.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-25-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm no Serena fan, but with all the hinderances described above, with all the other players not getting as tough a draw, she still won a Grand Slam event at the beginning of the year. She had to beat everybody who beat the players who had tougher draws.

I am not quite getting what you are saying here. 'all other players not getting as tough a draw' then 'she had to beat everybody who beat the players who had tougher draws'. Are you meaning she had tougher draws than all the other
players, or that she didnt have as tough a draw as some others but beat the players that came out of those tougher sections?

kooyah
04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Lindsay has like zero body fat now.

If Lindsay Davenport is anywhere near having zero % body fat, then Justine Henin-Hardenne must be in negative numbers for her body fat percentage.

Coria
04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Don't forget all the close three set matches Serena is now winning that would have been comfortable straight set victories 2 and 3 years ago. She played some clutch points against Sharapova but Sharapova also choked big time in that match. Serena's game and athleticism have been on a 18 -24 month decline, there's no getting around it. She was a BETTER player at age 20 than she is at 23--that is ridiculous.

Andrew.
04-25-2005, 06:40 PM
If Lindsay Davenport is anywhere near having zero % body fat, then Justine Henin-Hardenne must be in negative numbers for her body fat percentage.
You can't mock Lindsay at all now for her fitness. At this point, she is one of the fittest players on tour. Poor movement does not equal poor fitness.

jackiebrown
04-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Coria, you are absolutely right about Serena
Andrew, you are absolutely correct regarding Lindsay and her fitness.
Now, instead of Serena saying the truth next time she loses a match-"I am physically out of condition and I have not improved my game one bit since I started winning majors and the rest of the wta has caught up and even passed me by" will she continue to make up excuses like, "well, I didn't play my best today. I suppose it was a mistake to play today after my angioplasty last night!!!" She is starting to head in Dokic's direction.

nkhera1
04-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Now one of Serena's excuses is that everyone plays their best against her. I think she is going to have a tough time on clay this year.

Also a reason why Lindsay Davenport doesn't move too well is because she has had a few knee surgeries which limit her mobility. Think of how good she would be if her movement was better.

Andrew.
04-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Lindsay's movement has actually improved. It really isn't horrible anymore. It's my no means any kind of a weapon, but she'll get to a decent amout of shots now.