PDA

View Full Version : For the Brits: Leona Lewis or Andy Murray?

DRII
01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Which one will give Brittian that international super star - vaunted status again, dominating their respective feilds? Or who first, its been a while for you guys (I'm not trying to hate or anything, but its the truth).

I vote Leona. Shes right there on the precibus. She looks a helluva lot better as well.

rommil
01-05-2010, 08:45 AM
I vote for Leona Lewis. Better volleys and awesome running backhand than Murray.

miyagi
01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Im confused? Are you saying UK hasn't had an International star? We haven't had a great tennis player granted but we have had a few stars especially recently.

ManuGinobili
01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I vote for David Brent.... dominating his respective field AND the workplace environment. Also, best dance moves ever...

DRII
01-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Im confused? Are you saying UK hasn't had an International star? We haven't had a great tennis player granted but we have had a few stars especially recently.

Who, at the top of their feild, since Beckam.

I mean I love Adele, but I'm talking about bigger than that, like approaching a Federer, Tiger (yuck), or Jordan level...

Or Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion level..

that type.

Anaconda
01-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Leona Lewis = Overrated.

Murray = Overrated, but actually talented.

Neither have personality. Leona has no grammy awards and Murray has no slams ROFLMFAO!!!!

crazylevity
01-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I vote for Leona Lewis. Better volleys and awesome running backhand than Murray.

Another vote for Leona here. Better second serve and second verse.

JoelDali
01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Leona rocks.

origmarm
01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
If those two are the best we can do we should just give up now and hide frankly...

Anaconda
01-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Compare Matt Monroe to Murray, then we will talk. Music in England is at an all-time low.

joeri888
01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
David Beckham is the biggest athlete that plays a teamsport in America :twisted:

LiveForever
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Leona Lewis is really hot, I think.

Anaconda
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Leona Lewis is really hot, I think.

Personally i think she is a dog and looks dead half the time.

jamesblakefan#1
01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow you're harsh Anaconda.

Leona's hot to me.

Didn't she already have the #1 record here in the US? She's already more well known here than Murray will ever be.

Anaconda
01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow you're harsh Anaconda.

Leona's hot to me.

Didn't she already have the #1 record here in the US? She's already more well known here than Murray will ever be.

Probably because music is more popular that tennis. Leona isn't special in any way and doesn't contribute to music.

jamesblakefan#1
01-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Man, Brits are so harsh on their famous people. How does Leona not contribute to music? She's a talented singer, probably one of the best to come from the UK in a while.

Anaconda
01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Man, Brits are so harsh on their famous people. How does Leona not contribute to music? She's a talented singer, probably one of the best to come from the UK in a while.

Leona is a copycat Mariah/Whitney/Celine Dion singer. Nothing unique.

Britain have only had 2 world class, brilliant singers. Matt Monroe and Cliff Richard. Nowaydays you have talentless chavs AKA Cheryl Cole, Lily Allen getting high in the charts.

origmarm
01-05-2010, 11:49 AM

She has murdered many a good tune. Jeff Buckley is turning in his grave for one....

forthegame
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Shouldn't this be in 'Odds & Ends' or 'Rants & Raves'?

Gugafan
01-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Leona may lack that start quality in terms of personality, but her voice is right up there with some of the best divas in the music industry. I'm not a huge fan of pop ballads, but not many singers can belt out them high notes like she can.

Anaconda
01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Leona may lack that start quality in terms of personality, but her voice is right up there with some of the best divas in the music industry. I'm not a huge fan of pop ballads, but not many singers can belt out them high notes like she can.

Ignorance at it's highest level. Frank Sinatra wasn't a 'belter' but is the Greatest singer ever. Period!

Michael Buble, Mariah Carey have much better voices. See ya.

Meaghan
01-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Its been a while since we have had an international superstar?????......oh go stick ye head back down your neck.

Anaconda
01-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Its been a while since we have had an international superstar?????......oh go stick ye head back down your neck.

Or not. Very mature resulting in violence. One #1 in USA isn't out of this world. However doing it consistently is harder.

jamesblakefan#1
01-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I understand you guys are angry because it rains all the time over there...but come on, lighten up. Lay off of Leona. It's damn hard to break over here in the US for UK singers, and Leona's been more successful at it than some other UK singers, male and female. The girl can sing.

It's hard to say someone has a better voice than another, because people have differing standards, but for my money she's one of the top 5 female vocalists out right now.

DRII
01-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I understand you guys are angry because it rains all the time over there...but come on, lighten up. Lay off of Leona. It's damn hard to break over here in the US for UK singers, and Leona's been more successful at it than some other UK singers, male and female. The girl can sing.

It's hard to say someone has a better voice than another, because people have differing standards, but for my money she's one of the top 5 female vocalists out right now.

Try not to answer everything like a lawyer, if at all possible!!!

jamesblakefan#1
01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Try not to answer everything like a lawyer, if at all possible!!!

You see, I'm trying to be diplomatic. I get too much flak on here whenever I just come out and say things...apparently I'm the most hated poster on here according to some.

I'd love to just say "Michael Buble is boring, I bet Leona could out sing him AND she's HOT!" but that would probably p!ss people off, you see? ;)

fedhingis515
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Mariah Carey has gone down the drain... I'll stick with Leona for now. Leona > Murray/Mariah

Gugafan
01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Ignorance at it's highest level. Frank Sinatra wasn't a 'belter' but is the Greatest singer ever. Period!

Michael Buble, Mariah Carey have much better voices. See ya.

Mariah Carey has gone downhill. She can't even sing live anymore.

Buble is a good songwriter but hardly an amazing vocalist. I would rate Justin timberlake as a better all round music artist/performer. Period!.

And why are you comparing Sinatra to Leona Lewis??!!....Might aswell start comparing Michael jackson to Pavarotti.

jamesblakefan#1
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Mariah Carey has gone downhill. She can't even sing live anymore.

Buble is a good songwriter but hardly an amazing vocalist. I would rate Justin timberlake as a better all round music artist/performer. Period!.

And why are you comparing Sinatra to Leona Lewis??!!....Might aswell start comparing Michael jackson to Pavarotti.

Agreed about Mariah. She's gone from making good songs vocally to making auto-tune, pop crap. "The Emancipation of Mimi" was a good comeback record, but her last 2 albums haven't been nearly as good.

Also agree about Justin being better than Buble. They may make different types of music, but Justin's definitely more versatile and a better performer overall than Buble.

SempreSami
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
You Americans sure suck for thinking Leona Lewis is good.

She utterly ruined Whole Lotta Love at Beijing in 2008.

jamesblakefan#1
01-05-2010, 02:45 PM
You Americans sure suck for thinking Leona Lewis is good.

She utterly ruined Whole Lotta Love at Beijing in 2008.

Nah, you Brits just take things WAY too seriously. It comes out in the warped sense of humor you guys have. Some of the things you guys think is hilarious, we Americans just don't get. But that's neither here nor there.

You think she's a bad singer? You're probably not into that type of music anyways.

SempreSami
01-05-2010, 02:59 PM
If she was so good, she wouldn't have needed to cry every week on The X Factor.

DRII
01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Nah, you Brits just take things WAY too seriously. It comes out in the warped sense of humor you guys have. Some of the things you guys think is hilarious, we Americans just don't get. But that's neither here nor there.

You think she's a bad singer? You're probably not into that type of music anyways.

Gotta agree with you there JBF#1.

I sware many Brits feel their accent is enough to be considered hilarious. To me it sounds as though they are always asking a question:-?...

Anyway, I do admire the British, in particularly Leona Lewis, she is hot and can sing her a** off.

Also, her boyfriend is the luckiest guy ever!

jamesblakefan#1
01-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah for example, starting a whole damn campaign just to keep the kid from the X-Factor out of the top spot....that's taking things way too seriously about your music.

Feņa14
01-05-2010, 06:59 PM
We've had a thread here bashing the British weather, accent, music tastes, digs at not having famous people etc.. Very classy.

DRII
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
We've had a thread here bashing the British weather, accent, music tastes, digs at not having famous people etc.. Very classy.

Calm down...

everyone was typing with a British accent, therefore it was all done in humor!

origmarm
01-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Yeah for example, starting a whole damn campaign just to keep the kid from the X-Factor out of the top spot....that's taking things way too seriously about your music.

That actually made my December. It was a great poke in the eye to Cowell and his cronies that there is still an element out there that understands the difference between original, great music and a steady stream of media groomed manufactured cover artists. It's also the kind of thing that British people love to do...sort of like when they took the census and enough people put down "Jedi" as their religion such that the government had to recognise it officially. They had to change the law to get round that one :).

These shows are slowly but surely ruining the music industry in a time of minimal investment availability. Similar to sequels to blockbusters for movies at the moment, they just suck up all the available funding as they are seen as "risk free".

CanadianChic
01-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Has Leona Lewis had more than one (carefully marketed and overhyped) hit single? I'll say Murray.

origmarm
01-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Has Leona Lewis had more than one (carefully marketed and overhyped) hit single?

Not sure about on your side of the pond but we've had the *******isation of Jeff Buckley and Snow Patrol so far :(

CanadianChic
01-06-2010, 01:34 AM
We've been lucky enough to escape that madness so far. *fingers crossed* :)

jamesblakefan#1
01-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Brits are just mean. :(

Anaconda
01-06-2010, 01:57 AM
I'm just going to stop talking about music.

We have idiots who believe that Justin Timberlake is vocally better than Michae Buble which is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Yes, he is a good dancer but can't sing well.

SempreSami
01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
I sware many Brits feel their accent is enough to be considered hilarious.

No, that's just Ricky Gervais.

LiveForever
01-06-2010, 09:17 AM
British people produce the best music and that is a fact! :o Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin,Rolling Stones, Radiohead,Stone Roses, David Bowie, The Smiths, Oasis and many more.

rommil
01-06-2010, 09:23 AM
British people produce the best music and that is a fact! :o Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin,Rolling Stones, Radiohead,Stone Roses, The Smiths, Oasis and many more.

Hey, hey, hey let's not get carried away. Iceland music has more musicality and art than any pop/rock music that comes out of everywhere else.

jamesblakefan#1
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
British people produce the best music and that is a fact! :o Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin,Rolling Stones, Radiohead,Stone Roses, David Bowie, The Smiths, Oasis and many more.

I could easily say the Motown sound is better than all of that stuff.

Music is all about preference. That's why it's so hard to debate, and almost sure to end in a fight whenever you try to debate it.

LiveForever
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I could easily say the Motown sound is better than all of that stuff.

Music is all about preference. That's why it's so hard to debate, and almost sure to end in a fight whenever you try to debate it.
Sure you can. Music is all about preference. However, your opinion and preference cant change the fact that artists like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. are extremely acclaimed critically and commercially. They are musical immortals, artists will be influenced by them for years to come. You can go ahead and say that Justin Timberlake makes better music than Pink floyd but it wont change anything. Pink Floyd will continue to be held in higher regard, as far as music goes. The majority of the bands I have mentioned have contributed greatly to music.

Anaconda
01-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Sure you can. Music is all about preference. However, your opinion and preference cant change the fact that artists like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. are extremely acclaimed critically and commercially. They are musical immortals, artists will be influenced by them for years to come. You can go ahead and say that Justin Timberlake makes better music than Pink floyd but it wont change anything. Pink Floyd will continue to be held in higher regard, as far as music goes. The majority of the bands I have mentioned have contributed greatly to music.

Agree, although i wouldn't say Britian produce the best musicians. America had Frank Sinatra; the greatest singer ever and Mel Torme who had the nicest tone i have ever heard.

BTW JBF#1 knows next to nothing about music. He wouldn't understand. He prefers chavs like Timberlake over proper singers!

Matt Monroe and Cliff Richard were the best singers to come out of Britain, no doubt. The only reason Leona is 'top 5' in Britian is because we have no talent nowadays IMO.

LiveForever
01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Agree, although i wouldn't say Britian produce the best musicians. America had Frank Sinatra; the greatest singer ever and Mel Torme who had the nicest tone i have ever heard.

BTW JBF#1 knows next to nothing about music. He wouldn't understand. He prefers chavs like Timberlake over proper singers!

Matt Monroe and Cliff Richard were the best singers to come out of Britain, no doubt. The only reason Leona is 'top 5' in Britian is because we have no talent nowadays IMO.

Well, I dont think you can make personal comments towards JBF.He has contributed a lot to the Music thread and listens to lots of different musical acts. He has his opinion and I respect it. You cant change a person's opinion. Music taste is entirely subjective.<--- Known Fact.

For example, the popular opinion on the Backstreet boys is that they are utter s h i te, but I know many nice and intelligent people who enjoy listening to their music.

Anaconda
01-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, I dont think you can make personal comments towards JBF.He has contributed a lot to the Music thread and listens to lots of different musical acts. He has his opinion and I respect it. You cant change a person's opinion. Music taste is entirely subjective.<--- Known Fact.

No, he's a moron who knows nothing. I don't respect it because he overrates music which won't stand the test of time. He listens to Justin Timberlake and Ne-yo; who have no ability at all.

LiveForever
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
No, he's a moron who knows nothing. I don't respect it because he overrates music which won't stand the test of time. He listens to Justin Timberlake and Ne-yo; who have no ability at all.
Moron? Knows nothing? Those are pretty awful things to say about someone who just has dissimilar music tastes as you. For all we know, JBF could be a super intelligent person who has twice the IQ as you and me. The music you listen to doesnt define you as a person. People take music way too seriously. Listen to whatever you like but dont expect everyone in the world to share your opinion.

jamesblakefan#1
01-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I respect bands like the Beatles, the Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, and respect their contributions to music.

I was just making the point that depending on preference, some people would rate the Motown artists higher in their minds than those groups. It's all based on personal preference, that's the point I was making.

Look I understand I may have hurt your feelings w/ my view on Buble, but that's no reason to make things personal okay.

Timberlake and Ne-Yo no ability at all? Both write most if not all of their own music. To me that takes more talent than just singing.

We can agree to disagree, but like LiveForever said, no need to get personal.

Anaconda
01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I respect bands like the Beatles, the Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, and respect their contributions to music.

I was just making the point that depending on preference, some people would rate the Motown artists higher in their minds than those groups. It's all based on personal preference, that's the point I was making.

Look I understand I may have hurt your feelings w/ my view on Buble, but that's no reason to make things personal okay.

Timberlake and Ne-Yo no ability at all? Both write most if not all of their own music. To me that takes more talent than just singing.

We can agree to disagree, but like LiveForever said, no need to get personal.

Ok, i sincearly apologize. Please accept my apology. I get heated occassionally. Lets just agree to disagree; i love MB - you prefer other artisits. No big deal.

Gugafan
01-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Post removed based on Anacondas last post.

jamesblakefan#1
01-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Ok, i sincearly apologize. Please accept my apology. I get heated occassionally. Lets just agree to disagree; i love MB - you prefer other artisits. No big deal.

It's all good. I didn't take it personally. It's just music man. No big deal. It's fun to debate these things, to get different views, because everyone has different tastes, and you always want to have an open mind about all types of music. That's what I try to have. No big deal.

origmarm
01-07-2010, 01:21 AM
No, that's just Ricky Gervais.

Spot on! (10)

Meaghan
01-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Or not. Very mature resulting in violence. One #1 in USA isn't out of this world. However doing it consistently is harder.

?????????????

Violence ?? i said, "wind your neck in" !! Also i wasnt talking about music I was making judgement on the OP posting such a stupid thread. UK has many talented people in many fields as do all the couuntries of the world.

Still its great to have a laugh I suppose when TW posters actually think
Mr Buble is such a talented artist. He's the US equivalent to Daniel O'donnell !!

Joke thread.............

origmarm
01-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Mr Buble is such a talented artist.

Off topic but doesn't it strike anyone that pronouncing his name the way he does is a little "Hyacinth Bucket"....:)

DRII
01-07-2010, 07:09 AM
?????????????

Violence ?? i said, "wind your neck in" !! Also i wasnt talking about music I was making judgement on the OP posting such a stupid thread. UK has many talented people in many fields as do all the couuntries of the world.

Still its great to have a laugh I suppose when TW posters actually think
Mr Buble is such a talented artist. He's the US equivalent to Daniel O'donnell !!

Joke thread.............

If the thread was so stupid, why did you participate? Surely no one asked for your opinion!

BTW, comparing Leona Lewis and Andy Murray is not 'supid' IMO. They are two burgeoning performers near the top of their genres who both happen to be British.

Calm down, stop being so sensitive...

Meaghan
01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
If the thread was so stupid, why did you participate? Surely no one asked for your opinion!

BTW, comparing Leona Lewis and Andy Murray is not 'supid' IMO. They are two burgeoning performers near the top of their genres who both happen to be British.

Calm down, stop being so sensitive...

Im sure the initial post has been edited, it seemed so much more condescending and more about Uk's lack of international stars and then made comment on Leona and Murray prospects.

Im sure its been cleaned up by the mods or something............?? :confused:

DRII
01-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Oh yes; lets compare Justin Timberlake as the American standard barrier of musical artists and compare him to the British legends.

Lets ignore Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Bruce Springstein, Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Madonna, etc etc.

Truth is, the best selling artist in world history (the vast majority) have been Americans.

The Beatles are right up there, but are a group.

And you didn't even mention Elton John, I think he is one of the best selling artist in history.

Anyway, dont dis America... OK

jamesblakefan#1
01-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Oh yes; lets compare Justin Timberlake as the American standard barrier of musical artists and compare him to the British legends.

Lets ignore Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Bruce Springstein, Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Madonna, etc etc.

Truth is, the best selling artist in world history (the vast majority) have been Americans.

And you didn't even mention Elton John, I think he is one of the best selling artist in history.

Not to mention, who were the Stones and the Beatles heavily influenced by? AMERICAN artists, like Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, and Bo Diddely. Fact is, if it wasn't for them, the Stones wouldn't exist as we know them; their name comes from a Muddy Waters song, they give writing credits to several of those artists on several of their songs. The Stones' roots are actually American music, not organic.

LiveForever
01-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Chill out man. I didnt diss anything about America. JBF mentioned something about motown being better than the bands I mentioned and we were having a discussion on that. I gave timberlake as an example for my argument. I didnt use him as an example for american music. As a matter of fact, I wasnt even discussing national music contributions. I was discussing personal music prefrences with JBF and anaconda.

Anyways, sorry if you were offended. I didnt have any intentions of bashing american music.

DRII
01-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Chill out man. I didnt diss anything about America. JBF mentioned something about motown being better than the bands I mentioned and we were having a discussion on that. I gave timberlake as an example for my argument. I didnt use him as an example for american music. As a matter of fact, I wasnt even discussing national music contributions. I was discussing personal music prefrences with JBF and anaconda.

Anyways, sorry if you were offended. I didnt have any intentions of bashing american music.

Cool... its all good.

But, i don't think Justin Timberlake would be a good example of a Motown artist...

SempreSami
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_music_artists#200_million_to_299_mill ion_records

Feņa14
01-07-2010, 03:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_music_artists#200_million_to_299_mill ion_records

Very interesting, 7 British artists in the top 15 compared to only 3 Americans.

Speaking of British success, enjoy the cricket today? ;)

Meaghan
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM

I agree but its a good mix from the US to the UK and back and forth cos we are english speaking. Im a huge fan of the smiths they will never be in the top whatever but Morrissey is always up there in terms of influence yet he was influenced a lt by the new york dolls as well as the likes of joy division.

jaggy
01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
No one really since Benny Hill

SempreSami
01-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Onions is only in the side for his batting ;)

DRII
01-07-2010, 04:59 PM

Actually, its like 25 to 30 Brits in the top 15, because most top British acts are groups, not individuals!!!

way more record sales per capita with the American performers!

*breaksracquet
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
leona lewis=long horse face=no care ever...

SempreSami
01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Actually, its like 25 to 30 Brits in the top 15, because most top British acts are groups, not individuals!!!

way more record sales per capita with the American performers!

That's right, performers. Did they all write the songs themselves?

jamesblakefan#1
01-07-2010, 08:04 PM
That's right, performers. Did they all write the songs themselves?

Who did the Beatles and the Stones get their concepts and sound from? AMERICAN artists. Chuck Berry, Elvis, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Buddy Holly. Those names ring a bell? Those were the guys that influenced the Beatles and Stones, who just brought their sound to the UK and used it to get mass success.

SempreSami
01-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Only influences, they still wrote their own songs.

Oh and Kate Bush wrote all her own material, and she's the bestest female artist evar.
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/288409/Kate+Bush.jpg