PDA

View Full Version : The Classics

pchoi04
04-23-2005, 09:43 AM
I think its kind of funny how we talk so much about the Prostaff 85, POG, Prestige Classic and all those but when I go to the club I think I'm the only one with a POG. And I think I've seen one person with a prostaff 6.0 couldnt tell if it was 95 or 85. But I've NEVER seen a prestige classic.

OldSchooLTennis
04-23-2005, 11:17 AM
thats because alot of players out there just go for the new hot thing and not whats acually good.

Craig Sheppard
04-23-2005, 11:25 AM
I've played 4.0/4.5 level tennis for years and I can't remember ever playing against someone with a Prestige Classic either. Gives you an idea that some of the people who post on here are not representative of the tennis public in general, but because they post a lot they make it appear like it's very popular.

pchoi04
04-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Actually... Now that I think about it I think I remember a man playing with a prestige classic in a tournament.

Cruzer
04-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Very interesting point. I have never seen anyone playing with a POG. A tennis acquaintance demoed one a couple of years ago and thought it was like swinging a log (he plays with a Volkl C-10). A couple of other 4.0 players hit with his POG for a bit as well and no one seemed impressed enough to switch from their current racquet. I fellow at our club used to play with a PS 85, and he played very well with it at the 4.5 level but has since switch to a Volkl racquet. I asked him why he switched and he said the PS 85 is a very good racquet but there is no margin for error and he wanted something different. I have never seen anyone playing with a Prestige Classic. The only perhaps classic racquet I see people playing with is the PS 6.1 Classic.

thejerk
04-23-2005, 12:31 PM
then explain to me why i can't find a pc for less than $150. I hardly ever see anyone playing with the pc but I see alot of people with ps95, hps6.1, few hps tour 90s. The other day i stopped to watch a mixed doubles match. One guy had a 200g, one had a c10 looked to be 90', and one of the girls had an old school racket. A couple days after that I saw a match between a high school girl and high school guy where the girl was wacking the crap out of the ball with an n90 and the guy was using a frame that had a paper thin profile.

Besides, Imo, people don't experiment very often. They get what the guy at the sports outlet says is good. Which is usually the oversize stiffy. I started playing with the pc because i was screwing around and tried it. Now that I have hit with it other rackets feel like paper. I've even put lead in the hoop to make it more even balanced

joe sch
04-23-2005, 12:35 PM
There are lots of us classic old school players still playing those rackets and many more that are not listed. You may not see us at your tennis club but look at some of the open level ccmpetition in the Seniors, 35+, levels. I have personally sent classic graphite and wood rackets all over the world to players getting more backup rackets. I do wish there were more woodie tournaments but that is another thread ...

Pushmaster
04-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Good point. Now that I think about it only once have I seen someone playing with a PS 6.0 85 (besides myself), but I know at least 4 guys who play with the Prestige Classic/Tour, and 3 who play with the PS 6.1 including 1 woman. Seems like most people go for the junk coming out these days though, oh well....

tandayu
04-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Most of the good, high level junior players in my area just follow trend. Either they got free sponsored frames or the parents bought them. They do not bother to do research or surf internet, or join the forum to know about waht real rackets are. However, those adults I met who plays Ps 85, never switch to other frames, and never even think to sell it.

The Prestige classic was never intended for US market anyway. That is why so many of them on **** german sold very cheap.

The good players spend more time at tennis courts with their classic frames, except us spending time on internet....

prostaff_6.1_classsic
04-23-2005, 02:09 PM
alot of club players play with the latest racket because they are alot easier to get hold of than older versions. i have only ever seen 3 players using my racquet, and one of those was my coach many years ago. however, alot of people are now playing with the ncode version or the hps6.1. the same appys with other brands.

fedex27
04-23-2005, 03:12 PM
the ps org and pog are still on sale pc is discontinued

pchoi04
04-23-2005, 04:06 PM
the ps org and pog are still on sale pc is discontinued

I think the ps org is discontinued too but TW still sells them. Although the POG is still going most club players dont use them and is over looked.

crosscourt
04-23-2005, 04:09 PM
I never see anyone with a PS85 or a POG. Quite a few with PC, but mainly players in their 30s and over. A lot play with the Ti Radical. Younger players play Babolat or nCode.

cc

pchoi04
04-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm 18 years old and I play with the POG. My coach had 6-8 pogs laying around from his younger days and plays with the Diablo now because hes sponsored and gets them for free. But he doesnt use them so he said he would sell them to be for $10 a peice. so I was able to get a few for a really cheap price.

tandayu
04-23-2005, 05:14 PM
I see lot people play with Ntour90 or the ncode 6.1, if they do not use Babolat PD...

ffrpg
04-23-2005, 05:49 PM
I bet there's a good majority of people out there who don't even know the Prestige Classic exist. As someone else once said, the users on this forum represent a very small portion of tennis players out there. If it weren't for this messageboard, I would have never known the Prestige Classic even existed. As of to date, I have yet to meet another player who owns the PS 85 or a Prestige Classic. The only classic racquet that is somewhat popular is the POG. I've seen plenty of people who hit with them. The older generation of players seem to enjoy the Wilson Hammer series for some odd reason. Meh, they can school me with their hammers.

Dopke
04-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Hammers are good racquets. I started with the hammer series when I first started to play for reals.

pchoi04
04-23-2005, 06:34 PM
I also started with a hammer.

tandayu
04-23-2005, 06:57 PM
The original Wilson Hammer 2.7 si?? I remember a friend has an exact racket with white (pearl white)color looks axactly like the original Wilson Hammer. It was made in German. I forgot the name of the company. Anybody know? If remember correctly, Wilson bought the design from this company and eventually renamed it as Hammer. This also one popular racket at that time.

AndrewD
04-24-2005, 03:48 AM
You also have to remember that a lot of the posters on this board aren't from the States. Here in Australia we had only very limited access to racquets like the POG and PS 6.0 85 (Ive never seen one an 85 at club level or a pog midplus and only seen a handful of pog os). However, we always got the full range of Head racquets. So, good players looking for a solid frame would often end up with the Prestige and a lot of ex-200G (80's version) users went to the Prestige after the Dunlop became extinct. The Prestige line, from its inception to the LM are still very popular here and, outside of juniors and their PD's, Id say they'd be the best selling 'classic' frame at the upper level of club tennis (here in Oz). Also, going on what Ive seen international students use at our club, the Prestige is still very popular with Europeans.

Interestingly, when I played today, out of 23 players there were about 8 using some variation of the Prestige. Of the remaining 15 there wasn't one player using the same model racquet as someone else.

Venetian
04-24-2005, 04:51 AM
The old classics are only classics because older people keep using them. The racquets coming out now are just as good. I currently use the 6.1 Classic but have used the HPS and several Bab's. Other than the fact that newer racquets are lighter, I find no real differences in how they play. The classics are good racquets, there's no denying that, but they're not the end all be all of racquet design.

People often accuse younger players of hopping on the bandwagon of newer racquets. But I say that a lot of people on these boards hop on the "classics" bandwagon.

ffrpg
04-24-2005, 09:51 AM
People often accuse younger players of hopping on the bandwagon of newer racquets. But I say that a lot of people on these boards hop on the "classics" bandwagon.

Hahaha, that is so true!

tandayu
04-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Hahaha, that is so true!

I saw you bid for the PC600 2weeks ago.

johnmcc516
04-24-2005, 10:35 AM
thats because alot of players out there just go for the new hot thing and not whats acually good.

You say this like the new racquets aren't good. I beg to differ.

pchoi04
04-24-2005, 11:51 AM
I've tried most of the new technology out there and I feel almost like theres something special with the POG MP that no other racquet has. After playing with the POG, new racquets just seem mushy or like a tin can.

diredesire
04-24-2005, 11:54 AM
I agree, newer racquets aren't always worse, but they tend to continue the trend towards stiffer and lighter, although wilson is getting the idea and making some actual players frames...

I've seen the POG, Prestige AND the 6.0 85/95 (AND a volkl C10Pro)... (in fact i've owned every one except the 6.0 95) at my club. We have some pretty cool players around there

Dopke
04-24-2005, 01:14 PM
I think it's really preference. No doubt the classics are good racquets, but some people may prefer the more muted/mushy feeling that most racquets today give. While others like that raw feeling with instant feedback on the ball you just hit.

TheNatural
04-24-2005, 01:39 PM
The old classics are only classics because older people keep using them. The racquets coming out now are just as good. I currently use the 6.1 Classic but have used the HPS and several Bab's. Other than the fact that newer racquets are lighter, I find no real differences in how they play. The classics are good racquets, there's no denying that, but they're not the end all be all of racquet design.

I don't think the 6.1 is considered amongst the classic rackets.I think the only thing classic about it is it's name. I think the wilson classic frames have thinner beams, smaller heads, and are more precise. You should definately try the wilson staff 6.0 if you prefer 95 size heads.(If you already havn't)

Pushmaster
04-24-2005, 04:21 PM
LOL!......

AndyC
04-24-2005, 05:14 PM
The board most definitely does not represent the masses. Basically, people who post here are avid (some would say rabid from their postings) fans.

For myself I've only ever seen one Wilson 6.0 being used at the local club. Most people use the latest technology. I'm the slightly crazy one with his new old PCs/C10Pros.

BreakPoint
04-24-2005, 05:25 PM

If the newer racquets are just as good, then why as a younger player, do you use the PS 6.1 Classic?

AndrewD
04-24-2005, 05:42 PM
The other thing to be mindful of, especially for those who seem to think that any talk of 'classic' frames is a condemnation of all current racquets, is that the term 'classic' doesn't necessarily equate to the term 'best'. Also, when you talk about a racquet being built along 'classical lines' its the same as when you're discussing art or architecture. Classic refers to a particular style which, in the case of tennis racquets, is most likely a flat or flattish beam. So that discounts frames like the PD but doesn't suggest they aren't good racquets. They're what you'd call modern designs or 'children of the Profile'.

So, if you think that this thread is too critical of those styles, start another and ask what are the best 'modern' racquets to have emerged since the original Wilson Profile. That removes the ps 6.0 85, pog, 200g, prestige etc from the discussion and, in all honesty, might be a more useful debate for younger posters.

ffrpg
04-24-2005, 05:50 PM

I never said I was one of those people who didn't hop on the classic bandwagon. If anything, I hopped on cause of this messageboard...

shadow
04-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Actually, the game has dramatically changed over the last 10-15 years. There has been a trend for a greater, say all-out baseline game, more top spin oriented, more concerned with hitting outright winners rather than outlasting opponents with a more consistent game, again more of a baseline forcing game than an all court game. I see much less effective serve and volley than in previous years.

As a result, the racquets and strings have changed to reflect the new direction of the game, hence the popularity of the Babolat / Instinct / Radical et al racquets, and the dwindling popularity of the more classic racquets. This is not to say that one type of racquet is better than another, only that the new racquet choices reflect the changes in playing styles that are evolving.

Venetian
04-25-2005, 05:11 AM
If the newer racquets are just as good, then why as a younger player, do you use the PS 6.1 Classic?
Because they didn't cost as much.

AndrewD
04-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Because they didn't cost as much.

Venetian, perhaps you should have had a look at the Wilson Surge 5.1 standard length. Same as the PD but more controllable power (better all round I think) and cheaper than the 6.1 Classic.

Venetian
04-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Nah not my style of racquet. I like them in the 12oz range.

BreakPoint
04-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Nah not my style of racquet. I like them in the 12oz range.

Then I would say that classic racquets are more your style, since newer modern racquets tend to be lighter.

It's really the same reason many of us here prefer classic racquets. We don't like light, flimsy racquets.

Venetian
04-25-2005, 01:02 PM
There are plently of new racquets around 12oz.

BreakPoint
04-25-2005, 01:32 PM
There are plently of new racquets around 12oz.

Actually, the racquet that you play with, the Wilson PS 6.1 Classic weighs 12.6 oz., and with an overgrip and dampener, more like 13.0+ oz. So it would appear that's the weight that you like since that's what your using.

There are not many new, modern racquets, not based on a classic racquet, that weigh that much. Racquets like the nSix-One Tour and nSix-One 95 do not count because they are based on classic racquets, the PS 6.0 85 and PS 6.1 Classic, respectively. I'm talking about completely new racquets with completely new designs.

Coda
04-25-2005, 07:02 PM
stick some lead on that surge...

MRG
04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
It is natural that relatively younger players might not consider POG, PS 85 or PC as classic rackets to them. To them, in 10 years time, rackets like Pure Drive, nCode will become their classics.

Its cool, as long as they like the feel and the way to play with these newer sticks. Even in the same era, there is no universal classic racket to every single player.
Some might find PS 6.0 85 the best among all but some might find it to be crap.

MRG
(a Prestige Classic user)

tennisnj
04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
When I was playing HS & college tennis, amongst the masses where I played, there was only one racquet that consistently was on the court @ all times. It was the Wilson 6.1 Classic. In HS & college most of "top players" used it, & amongst teaching pros, it was practically the only racquet used, unless you had a different company's contract. However, I didn't play w/it, it did nothing for my game, except give me tennis arm, but it's appeal & notority were obvious. One of my friends, a D1 college coach finally switched from the 6.1 Classic to the nSix-One Tour, & he was the last person I recall using it in my circles.

As for the other 'classic' racquets, my friend used to play in HS & college w/the Prestige Classic, but he couldn't stop breaking them @ the throat, on normal easy groundstrokes, that's one thing I remember vividly about that racquet. I haven't seen someone play w/a 6.0 85 with one exception. A local guy I know who played & beat John McEnroe on the pro tour about 25 years ago & plays in the USTA National 45 & overs still uses it. Amazing to see a guy @ that age still generate 110+ mph serves & heavy groundies with it!
Never seen anyone @ the clubs I teach & play @, or in HS or college ever play w/a POG. Heck I've never seen any of its reincarnations either.