PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Star This Year's "Ethno-Brawl" at the Aussie Open?

Dedans Penthouse
01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
As the Aussie Open (the "fun" Open) draws near, needless to say there are those out there who'll probably be preparing for trouble (forget the tennis!) when the draw comes out and an ATP pro of THEIR 'ethno-ILK' is matched up against "one of THEM!!!!" :-)

Now, without naming names involved in some of the more recent brawls at the good 'ol AO, who do you think will be involved in 'THIS YEAR'S MODEL' ???

(note: it takes two to 'Tango' so you'd want to vote for "2")

Let the swiping begin! :-)

rommil
01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I'd guess the same ones that did the last time, whoever they were.

little_e
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I say the Southern Baptist and the Aussies due to the amount of drinking and dancing that will be going on. The SB's will get angry and blame the Aussies since it's thier tournament.

r2473
01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
It's Australian to do such things because, however uncivilized they may seem, it's human to do them. Hugh Mackay

You never want an Australian with his back against the wall. You put any 12 blokes together and you'll get a job done. Whether it's getting a bogged four-wheel-drive off the beach or standing in front of a cricket wicket and making sure we're in a dominant position. It's the same dog, different leg action, so to speak - Matthew Hayden - cricket player

Fee
01-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Best.Thread.Ever.

diggler
01-07-2010, 05:14 AM
This is more BS that suggests Australia is a racist country. We have Serbs, Croats etc because we are a multicultural nation. Compare that to Japan. They have no race riots. Because they are not racist? Far from it. They are so racist they don't allow immigration. They want their racial purity.

malakas
01-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Froddo Baggins vs drunk Vikings.

origmarm
01-07-2010, 06:03 AM
I second the motion for best thread!

"I predict a riot..." :)

westside
01-07-2010, 06:13 AM
After all the stuff that's happening in Australia at the moment, most likely indians

Mike Bulgakov
01-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Frodo Baggins and the Seven Drunken Vikings.

Shouldn't you have posted this in the "Frodo Baggins Fantasies That Don't Involve Tommy Robredo" thread?

I am expecting a brawl between Swedes and TW Moderators. Neither can handle their beer, and there is that long standing feud between Sweden and San Luis Obispo.

origmarm
01-08-2010, 05:19 AM
The real question is will there be Fried Chicken passed out to avert catastrophe??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8447457.stm

jrod
01-08-2010, 05:40 AM
The real question is will there be Fried Chicken passed out to avert catastrophe??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8447457.stm

ok. You have to ask yourself what the hell were they thinking when they approved this ad? Seriously, it's like no one involved ever thought to ask any questions....

malakas
01-08-2010, 05:52 AM
ok. You have to ask yourself what the hell were they thinking when they approved this ad? Seriously, it's like no one involved ever thought to ask any questions....

are you serious???what a bunch of bull*****!!!Americans are so touchy and they seem to believe that everything is aimed at them and they are the centre of all universe.:roll: for heaven's shake!

jrod
01-08-2010, 06:04 AM
are you serious???what a bunch of bull*****!!!Americans are so touchy and they seem to believe that everything is aimed at them and they are the centre of all universe.:roll: for heaven's shake!

You obviously have ZERO experience working in a global marketing organization. They pulled the ad. Wonder how much they spent making it? Wonder how many heads will roll? What about shareholder value?

Sure I'm serious...this is about $ and KFC just ****ed away millions of dollars.

Tempest344
01-08-2010, 06:08 AM
how about the Serbs and the croations?

Last year at the Sydney International I was to witness one of these after the Djokovic-Ancic match, Cops running about everywhere too!

origmarm
01-08-2010, 06:13 AM

I tend to agree with you to an extent re the US reaction i.e. it clearly wasn't representative of the black population in southern states in any way. It had nothing to do with Americans at all in fact.

It did however have a "lets pacify the black people by giving them fried chicken" element to it which clearly was pretty misguided and you can see why people took offence. Someone was definitely asleep at the wheel on this one.

Dedans Penthouse
01-08-2010, 07:24 AM
This is more BS that suggests Australia is a racist country. We have Serbs, Croats etc because we are a multicultural nation. Compare that to Japan. They have no race riots. Because they are not racist? Far from it. They are so racist they don't allow immigration. They want their racial purity.
Aw, braised kangaroo balls in vegamite, diggler! :razz: ....you missed the gist of my post.

Yes, I was being a smart-aleck looking to stir up trouble among 'groups' that might be more prone to "getting involved" in these type of frays (fraying their hyper-nationalistic nerves) but it was NOT a slight at Australia or Australians either specifically or generally-speaking whatsoever. Quite the contrary, it's more a tweak directed particularly at those who make Australia their home yet wouldn't get half as emotionally charged up at a Leyton Hewitt match. We have the same hysterical "MY people! MY people!" types here in the US; people even born and raised here that will nevertheles root for the "other country" over the US in, e.g. a soccer match involving "their country" vs. the big, bad US of A.

Beyond all that, imho it's all really b.s.; these clowns who have no regard for the safety of any others in attendance are all full of shiate and merely using the prop of a stinkin' tennis match to act out on their other violent 'psycho issues'.

origmarn, spot on. Any marketing person/group worth their salt would conduct due (and thorough) 'research' before pulling the trigger on an ad campaign launch.

For your amusement--I love this little gem--here's a U.S. commercial for Alka Seltzer (an "upset tummy relief" product) from years back that was taken off the airwaves. Today it probably would be able to pass muster, but at the time the Italian Defamation League made 'em pull the plug on it.....they probably made the TV networks "an offer they couldn't refuse, bada-bing-bada-bang"....oops, did I just upset anyone's stomach? Again, please check this out hombre, one of my favorites: "let's break for lunch..." :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcvw0j01nBA

or search Youtube: "Alka Seltzer spicy meatball commerical"

rommil
01-08-2010, 07:34 AM
how about the Serbs and the croations?

Last year at the Sydney International I was to witness one of these after the Djokovic-Ancic match, Cops running about everywhere too!

That's what happens when gj multiplies!!!!

malakas
01-08-2010, 07:49 AM
You obviously have ZERO experience working in a global marketing organization. They pulled the ad. Wonder how much they spent making it? Wonder how many heads will roll? What about shareholder value?

Sure I'm serious...this is about $ and KFC just ****ed away millions of dollars.

really???So an ad AIMED at the australian audience,at the australian culture and at the australian society should take into account what AMERICANS find racistic,discriminating and make double sure before they air it that in no way offends any american that won't even see the ad.

Rigghht..:roll: what ethnocentristic bull.

jrod
01-08-2010, 07:56 AM
really???So an ad AIMED at the australian audience,at the australian culture and at the australian society should take into account what AMERICANS find racistic,discriminating and make double sure before they air it that in no way offends any american that won't even see the ad.

Rigghht..:roll: what ethnocentristic bull.

It's pretty clear you have no clue as to what kind of scrutiny these adds typically encounter before they commit the funding to produce and air them. I'm sure the guy that approved this ad doesn't sound quite as moronic or obstinate as you do....good luck with that attitude in your business dealings malakas.

malakas
01-08-2010, 08:00 AM
It's pretty clear you have no clue as to what kind of scrutiny these adds typically encounter before they commit the funding to produce and air them. I'm sure the guy that approved this ad doesn't sound quite as moronic or obstinate as you do....good luck with that attitude in your business dealings malakas.

I have seen it happen again like with the Spanish NT at the Olympics.:roll: The Chinese themselves -who the ad was aimed for,found nothing offensive and even found it funny and laughed => SUCCESFUL AD,but the americans had a heardattack,threatened to sue,and called everyone racistic for the ad aimed at the other corner of the world, not taking into account THEIR special needs.

jrod
01-08-2010, 08:08 AM
I have seen it happen again like with the Spanish NT at the Olympics.:roll: The Chinese themselves -who the ad was aimed for,found nothing offensive and even found it funny and laughed => SUCCESFUL AD,but the americans had a heardattack,threatened to sue,and called everyone racistic for the ad aimed at the other corner of the world, not taking into account THEIR special needs.

Are you really as clueless as you sound? KFC is an american company with a huge american base of customers. There is no way in hell a responsible company would have ever risked running such an ad anywhere in the world simply because americans are so "sensitive" about this. You may find this silly or foolish, but it's a fact that has to be considered when you are spending millions of dollars on an advertisement.

In the corporate world, it's all about maintaining an image (e.g. Tiger). This ad did absolutely nothing to help KFC...not in Australia, not in Vietnam, and most certainly not in the U.S. It was a mistake, plain and simple and KFC admitted this publicly.

Just ask yourself this: Would you want to be the market director in KFC who approved this ad?

malakas
01-08-2010, 08:13 AM
No.Just because it's true KFC will be at great loss with such an outrage and reaction from the american audience it doesn't mean that the behaviour is any less ethnocentric and arrogant-when you want the whole world to abide by your standards and your culture..Edit:Not want.DEMAND.

Dedans Penthouse
01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
is is grrrrrrreat!"

http://atrain.typepad.com/atrain/images/2008/03/26/flounder_copy.jpg

http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/buccaneer_bow_shots/train-wreck.jpg

diggler
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
This KFC ad debate is complete BS.

Click on the ad "Backyard Buckets". This is currently being screened in Australia.

http://www.kfc.com.au/cricket/index.asp

My understanding of this ad is that if you want to watch the cricket and something is stopping you, lure your impediments away with some yummy chicken. Does this theme sound familiar to another ad?

If you are an idiot, this is how you would interpret it. Oh man, this ad is so racist. It says that white people love fried chicken. Just perpetuating anothing racist stereotype.

Or, oh man this ad is so inlawist. This ad perpetuates the stereotype that all inlaws love fried chicken. Or this ad perpetuates the view that inlaws hate cricket. Or this perpetuates the stereotype of not liking inlaws and is anti marriage.

Tempest344
01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
The KFC Ad is bogus IMO about being offensive to Americans, thats why it was aimed and screened to Australian audiences.

(to be honest though whenever i think of the KFC backyard bucket ad it conjures up an image of it being a chuck bucket)

That's what happens when gj multiplies!!!!

haha that was good