PDA

View Full Version : tretorn micro X

mmaster
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
i want to try tretorn balls, is micro X their top of the line balls and the ones i should be getting? i don't want their lower end line.

parasailing
01-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Yup, the micro X are the best ones. I have two buckets and been using them for about 5 months. So far they keep their bounce. Perfect use for a ball machine.

mmaster
01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
i'm just gonna use them to play with my friend to see if we can use these instead of buying balls all the time.

Hankenstein
01-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Micro X is not a pressurized ball! It has a foam filled core and has permanent pressure. Its very hard and bouncy!!!

The top of the line with Tretorn is the "Series +" and after that is "Stockholm Open" and then "Championship"

The permanent pressure balls are ranked as "Micro X", "Tretorn Plus" and then "Tretorn XL"

Tretorn is by far the biggest brand on tennis-balls here in Sweden. The "Series +" balls are used on the 125K $ ATP Challengers events as main ball

mmaster
01-06-2010, 12:56 AM
i was inquiring about the permanent pressure balls, not standard pressurized balls. i just wanted to give them a try and see if i can use them and save money on balls.

VamosRafa10
01-06-2010, 01:38 AM
I am huge fan of tretorn and the micro x are my favourite. Thats just my opinion however.

vincent_tennis
01-06-2010, 02:10 AM
closest feel to pressurized balls imo

josh91
01-06-2010, 03:51 AM
really nice ball, I train 10 hours a week with this ball for 4 months now.
and they play good after the four months, imo it's the best pressure less ball.

HitItHarder
01-06-2010, 05:07 AM
The Micro X are great pressureless balls and I am really happy with them in my ball machine. They give a consistent bounce and in my opinion play the closest to a pressurized ball.

I will say they are heavier than a typical pressurized ball. However, for a ball that will last several months and maintain a consistent bounce, these are hard to beat.

mmaster
01-06-2010, 05:27 AM
several months? i was expecting them to last like a yr at least...

HitItHarder
01-06-2010, 07:08 AM
several months? i was expecting them to last like a yr at least...

Lasting a year may depend on how many of these balls you get and how you rotate them.

The balls will likely keep their bounce as long as you have them, but I have a feeling the felt will wear on these balls after several months of regular use.

How many were you thinking to buy?

TennisCoachFLA
01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
I love the Tretorn Micro X balls. No longer use any other type balls for practices.

I don't find them unusually hard like some people may say. In fact even my 5 year old uses them with great results.

HitItHarder
01-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I don't find them unusually hard like some people may say. In fact even my 5 year old uses them with great results.

I agree about not finding the balls unusually hard. In fact, I prefer a ball with a little weight to it. My kids also have used the Micro X balls for practice without any problems.

I especially like them in cold weather, like we are having right now, because they maintain there bounce when pressurized balls can play fairly dead right out of the can because of the low temps.

mmaster
01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
How many were you thinking to buy?

just a few to first see whether i will like them or not.

parasailing
01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Initially, they play fine but once they lose their felt, I think they become too hard and fast to hit as regular practice balls.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-07-2010, 02:22 AM
They are the best of breed for use with a ball machine. I wouldn't use them for regular hitting though because you will wear down the felt prematurely.

HitItHarder
01-07-2010, 05:10 AM
just a few to first see whether i will like them or not.

If you are just going to use a few Micro X balls as regular practice balls, you may not be completely happy with how long they last. I pulled three balls out of the bucket to keep in my bag when I first got my Micro X balls in for the ball machine. I use these three balls when the temperature drops into the 30s or lower because they bounce better than regular balls in those conditions. In the last two weeks, because of cold weather, I have used those three balls for approximately 3 hours of baseline rally and in 4 sets of singles. While they still have a great consistent bounce, the felt on the balls is not holding up to the constant pounding. Last night I opted to play two sets with a new can of pressurized balls instead of those three Micro X balls for that reason.

I have 70 Micro X balls in my ball machine and they get used between 2 and 3 hours a week (one or two hitting sessions). Which means each ball is only being hit 10 to 20 times a week. The felt on these balls still looks new. If I was using regular pressurized balls, they would be going flat from age by now but still have good felt on the ball. With the Micro X in a personal ball machine, I have the best of both worlds. The balls don't go flat and since they don't get used but 6 or 8 times a month and the felt should last me a long long time. I plan to keep buying Micro X balls when I finally do wear the felt on this batch out.

So whether or not Micro X balls are a good choice (or any pressureless ball in my opinion) depends on how often you play or practice with them and what type of hitting is involved. Micro X balls shine for peope who don't play frequently and normally have pressurized balls with good felt go flat because they don't play that often.

If you need a ball to use once a week for a couple hours for moderate hitting, three Micro X balls may work fine for a month or two. If you are going to use them a couple times a week and hit with pace and spin, in my experience the felt on three balls will wear in a couple weeks at most.

mmaster
01-07-2010, 06:08 AM
yea i don't get to play too often.

"Micro X balls shine for peope who don't play frequently and normally have pressurized balls with good felt go flat because they don't play that often."

that's me.

navnut
03-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Hi from the UK
Hope someone here could give me some advice.

I have an Lobster Elite 4 and am using micro x trainer balls. I have found the ball placement to be very inconsisitent (firing balls in a fixed position) i put this down to the machine not being very good.

I emailed the store where i got this from and they told me micro x balls are not designed to be used with ball machines and that true pressureless balls should be used for better accuracy. Can anyone confirm this? Also what ball machines are you guys using them in and how do you find the accuracy?

thank you

Standupnfall
03-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Delete post, sorry

beernutz
03-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi from the UK

I have an Lobster Elite 4 and am using micro x trainer balls. I have found the ball placement to be very inconsisitent (firing balls in a fixed position) i put this down to the machine not being very good.

I emailed the store where i got this from and they told me micro x balls are not designed to be used with ball machines and that true pressureless balls should be used for better accuracy. Can anyone confirm this? Also what ball machines are you guys using them in and how do you find the accuracy?

thank you

I bought a bucket of 96 Tretorn micro-x balls for use with my Silent Partner Star ball machine. I am not sure how consistent they are with respect to where they land in comparison to other balls because they are the only kind of balls I've used so far. When the machine is firing balls to one location I tend to see them hitting within about a 3 x 6 foot oval between the service line and baseline, which to me is acceptable variation. When the balls land they don't tend to vary side to side nearly as much as they do from front to back. On the court where I use the machine the balls leave a mark so that I can easily see their dispersion.

However I previously borrowed a friend's Tennis Tutor ball machine and used it with pressurized balls and the consistency of where the balls landed with that combination wasn't much different than what I see with the Star and micro-x balls.

I've only used my machine for about 10 hours so far but I really love both it and the micro-x balls FWIW.

jatnut
03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Hi from the UK

thank you

I use them in my Sports Tutor 4 and they are great.

navnut
03-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the replies

I get variation every which way. If i could somehow film whats going on and show you guys and then get your feedback that would really help, but dont have a video camera.

On a plus note i will say micro x feel just like a real ball and i dont find them hard at all, but i have never used them for rallies only the ball machine.

Thanks again

MonkeyMuggs
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Navnut - in your post - you said you were using Micro X "trainer balls". I'm not an authority on Tretorn's ball line, but those "trainer balls" may not be the same Micro X's that everyone has been talking about on this forum and using in their ball machines. Check them out exactly to make sure your comparing apples to apples.

Also, LobsterSports themselves - the manufacturer of your Grand Slam IV ball machine - recommend's using Tretorn's Micro X "pressureless" balls. So your dealer is mistaken.

By the way..........how do you like your Grand Slam IV?

navnut
03-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Well heres a link for the balls i bought there is no mention of how these balls differ from conventional micro x, but you could be onto something.

http://www.**********.com/shop/tennis/tennis-balls/tennis-trainer-balls-for-training-coaches/tretorn-micro-x-trainer-balls-566523.html

As far as the lobster i dont want to taint anyones opinion on it i think i have got a bad one. I have only really used manual mode as i just wanted to focus on stroke form and contact i haven't used any of the pre set or oscillation modes so cant report but if your interested i will give it the run through. I would have tested out these modes myself but manual mode has put me off maybe i expect too much.
I dont suppose any of you guys are able to post videos of your machines in operation?

thanks and please keep the replies coming in the more info the better

navnut
03-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Type in ********** where there are stars for the above web link.

beernutz
03-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Type in ********** where there are stars for the above web link.

LOL. I'm laughing with you, not at you. :)

The forum's censoring function does take some getting used to.

MonkeyMuggs
03-06-2010, 09:58 AM
NAVNUT - Couple of other things you might want to check. I have heard of some people getting a bad batch (or bucket) of tretorn micro x balls. Not every single ball was bad, but many were. If you've got some duds in your hopper, that will definitely effect the machines ability to toss consistently.

Also - check the throwing wheels. I've heard several lobster owners say that the "wheels got loose" (somehow they "untightened") on their very first session (new - straight out of the box - or very soon thereafter) using the machine. From what I can remember, it was a very simple and easy fix.

You should NOT be experiencing problems with a new machine. Perhaps you could re-explain the problem your having and exactly what is occurring. Another thing you should absolutely do is CALL LOBSTER CUSTOMER SVC!! Lobster has excellent customer support. Go to their website for their contact info and #. If you need the # I can get it for you. They will almost certainly be able to diagnose and help you get the machine running properly over the phone. Let us know what's going on and keep us posted.

beernutz
03-06-2010, 10:56 AM
NAVNUT, I went to my neighborhood courts this morning and hit a bucket of 96 micro-x balls to the same spot with my SP Star. I took some pictures so you can see the ball dispersion. I think the marks on the court from the balls are pretty visible but I also put four tennis balls on the deepest and widest points so you can better see where they are.

I had the speed setting on about 4/10 with a bit of topspin FWIW. I took the pictures with my cell phone so the quality is only so so but still reasonably clear. Sorry about the sizing but I forgot to set imageshack to resize when I uploaded them.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9448/pic0070x.jpg
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5989/pic0069.jpg
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6015/pic0068.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7022/pic0071zy.jpg

navnut
03-06-2010, 01:39 PM
"Also - check the throwing wheels. I've heard several lobster owners say that the "wheels got loose" (somehow they "untightened") on their very first session (new - straight out of the box - or very soon thereafter) using the machine. From what I can remember, it was a very simple and easy fix."

Monkeymuggs a couple of days ago the bottom throwing wheel was sliding off and sending balls in a strange trajectory. Once turned off i slid it back in place and resumed play but still got some variation in throws but much more tolerable. I'm not 100% that this is what is giving the bad throws but could you forward me to this simple fix that you mentioned.
Also as i'm in the UK i'm not sure the lobster support will be much assistance to me but i will give it a go.

Thank you beernutz for the photos i would say i am getting the same variation, personally i think they need to be more accurate. Because in manual mode i expect the ball in the same spot so i can concentrate on form instead of footwork and ball judgement which i would like to develop later.

Thanks for all your help guys. Please stay tuned i'm hoping to borrow a video camera to show you what i'm experiencing but that wont be for another week or so.
P.S.
tennis
nuts
(take that censoring function:twisted:)

MonkeyMuggs
03-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Navnut - all you've got to do is call Lobster @ 1-800-210-5992 and tell them what is occurring/happening with your machine. While on the phone with you, they will most likely be able to troubleshoot, instruct and guide you on what/how to fix the problem you are having. It does'nt matter where or what country you live in.

Anyway - the "quick fix" I was talking about was to just check your wheels and see if they were loose (wobbly I guess). I believe it is a 1/8" Allen Wrench that is used to tighten them. I've tried to include a link below to an instruction sheet that I found on Lobster's WebSite. Not sure if the forum moderators or software is going to allow it. So if you can't open or read the link below, go to lobsterinc website and loook along the left and click "Service" then click "Instructions". There are numerous troubleshooting scenarios listed. Find the one that discusses "vibrating" wheels I think. I don't think your wheels are vibrating, but the instructions and pictures will still help/show you how to get to the throwing wheels and replace, tighten, etc.

I hope this helps or solves your problem, but I still think you need to call Lobster. Why is it that you won't, or think that you can't, just call Lobster?!? I don't understand that Navnut. Anyway - keep posting to tell us how it's going. You might want to start another thread under the same "Other Equipment" category - but change the title so as to explain the problem you are having........Such as "Problem with Lobster Elite Tossing Inconsistent Balls". You started this thread with "Tretorn Micro X ". You would get plenty more help if you would re-title and start another thread. Let us know. Good Luck. It will get corrected.

http://www.lobsterinc.com/spages/img/Elite_Instructions-Replacing_New_Server_Wheel.pdf

w w w . l o b s t e r i n c . c o m - (replace stars with)

navnut
03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Your absolutly right thank you so much for your help.

MonkeyMuggs
03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey Beernutz........

How tall are those "cones" in your pictures? Do they blow or tip over easy in the wind? Are you happy with them?

I've got 2 buckets of 72 Micro X 2-tones being shipped. What is your #2 most favorite ball for your ball machine?

Are there any particular ball machine drills that you can turn me on to? I just pulled the trigger on a Lobster Grand Slam V LE. It's on its way.

Thanks

MonkeyMuggs
03-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey Navnut.........are your throwing wheels loose or "wobbly"?

beernutz
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey Beernutz........

How tall are those "cones" in your pictures? Do they blow or tip over easy in the wind? Are you happy with them?

I've got 2 buckets of 72 Micro X 2-tones being shipped. What is your #2 most favorite ball for your ball machine?

Are there any particular ball machine drills that you can turn me on to? I just pulled the trigger on a Lobster Grand Slam V LE. It's on its way.

Thanks

Those are 1 foot tall soccer cones I bought at a local sporting goods store. They are inexpensive but do a good job. They've never blown over yet and probably won't unless some really strong wind hits them because they have those big openings in them.

I've only use Micro-x balls in my machine so I don't have a second favorite.

I do this drill, FH and BH, to get everything circulating while still concentrating on one stroke and and on my footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj_VYuNs2Jo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPCY1PNAYqE

EDIT: Notice that the ball dispersion with that Playmate ball machine seen in those videos, which is a lot more expensive than my SP Star, is not much different than what I pictured above. Those balls aren't hitting in the exact same place every time any more than mine do.

navnut
03-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Well the wheel was sliding off so i would have to say loose.
I was looking at using those drills from FYB as well but again i need corect form first. Your right the ball doesn't hit the mark all the time but i would say the playmate is more precise than my lobster.

MonkeyMuggs
03-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I've never owned a ball machine, but have a lobster V LE on order. I learned about the "wheel becoming loose" on lobster machines from reading threads/posts here on TW while doing research.

Navnut - I would think if your throwing wheel was "sliding off", then that was the reason your machine was throwing inconsistent balls - yes? In other words, did tightening the wheel fix the problem? Have you been able to use your lobster since tightening the wheel?

I like the Playmate line as well, but I needed maximum portability and wanted/needed more randomness than I think Playmate offers in their "portable" models. How or why is it that you've got 2 great ball machines? You're lucky dude!

What is "FYB"? Just curious Navnut - where (generally) do you live?

navnut
03-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I haven't touched the machine out of fear of voiding the warranty. I was able to slide the wheel back with my finger so no permanent fix. Also i dont want to send it back to the dealer just yet as i have a week off from work comin up and want to fully utilise the lobster. I have only just got the lobster back from the dealer for a faulty battery (battery lasting only 2.5 hours) which took almost 2 weeks. So really dont want to give it up again.

I'll tell you something getting this machine has been a right pain in the arse. I ordered it in december only to find it was sold out, had to wait two months to get it, then a faulty battery, throwing wheel playing up. Not the best buying experience i've had.

I wish i had the money for 2 machines but i was just commenting on the playmate from the FYB clips in beernutz's weblinks. FYB or fuzzy yellow balls .com is a website about tennis instruction its quite good you should check it out. I agree with you playmate look pretty good but not portable or even affordable.

I'm in London, England, and Navdeep is my name. Where you from?

MonkeyMuggs
03-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Most people with machines don't "send them back" much anymore. It's to easy for the manufacturer to troubleshoot the problem with the customer over the phone. Many times they can help you to fix the problem over the phone, or diagnose and narrow it down to the defective component, part, switch, etc. and just send it to you with instructions on how to change it out yourself. Of course your welcome to ship it back to them while under or out of warranty. But as you mentioned, that takes time and costs $$ to ship.

There was a thread about the wheel loosening problem under the "other equipment" heading. I'll see if I can find it for you, but you also might want to run a search. They discussed the problem and the fix fairly thouroughly in that thread. That's how I learned about the wheel issue on some of the lobster machines. The problem seemed to occurr right out of the box on new machines. I understand your worry over voiding the warranty, but I think your going to find if you call Lobster - that they are going to suggest/ recommend that you, with their approval and help, attempt to tighten it yourself to save shipping costs and time. Which Lobster model do you have again?

I live in Pensacola, Florida which is in the "Panhandle" of Florida on the Gulf Of Mexico or "Emerald Coast". Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world!

navnut
03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Elite GS 4 and your name?

MonkeyMuggs
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Ambrose

While off next week, keep us posted on the results your getting with the Micro X balls and your GS IV. I'll also be anxious to hear your complete review once you get your machine dialed in.

beernutz
03-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Most people with machines don't "send them back" much anymore. It's to easy for the manufacturer to troubleshoot the problem with the customer over the phone. Many times they can help you to fix the problem over the phone, or diagnose and narrow it down to the defective component, part, switch, etc. and just send it to you with instructions on how to change it out yourself. Of course your welcome to ship it back to them while under or out of warranty. But as you mentioned, that takes time and costs $$ to ship.

There was a thread about the wheel loosening problem under the "other equipment" heading. I'll see if I can find it for you, but you also might want to run a search. They discussed the problem and the fix fairly thouroughly in that thread. That's how I learned about the wheel issue on some of the lobster machines. The problem seemed to occurr right out of the box on new machines. I understand your worry over voiding the warranty, but I think your going to find if you call Lobster - that they are going to suggest/ recommend that you, with their approval and help, attempt to tighten it yourself to save shipping costs and time. Which Lobster model do you have again?

I live in Pensacola, Florida which is in the "Panhandle" of Florida on the Gulf Of Mexico or "Emerald Coast". Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world!

We are almost neighbors as I live in Mobile.

MonkeyMuggs
03-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow! The "world" is smaller than we imagine.

Beernutz - I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I maybe already have.......with my many posts related to ball machines. I hav'nt technically ordered my ball machine yet. I've got some other questions related to ball machines and tennis (in this area) in general. 15 years ago in Baton Rouge, I think I was rated 4.5 by a pro, which was probably a tad high. I played briefly on a 4.0 team here in Pensacola 8 years ago. Probably a 3.5 now.

Is there a way I can contact you via regular email or phone? Could you shoot me an email at: monkeymuggs@gmail.com

navnut
03-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Below is a reply from tretorn about the trainer and normal micro x balls if anyone is interested. Last sentence seems a little contradictory.

"Hi,
Yes absolutely these X Trainer should perform equally good in the ball
machine. They are both made with same Micro Cellular technology. They base
of this technology is a Pressureless Core so the durability and consistency
of the core is almost endless. The function of the Micro Cells is two: one
is that core can be made slightly thinner for a better feel and two: at
impact the cells helps function as the pressure in a pressurized ball and
enable ball to expand and leave racket quicker than a standard pressureless
ball.
The only difference between the Micro X and X Trainer is production
precision of both core and felt.

best regards,
Joakim Appelqvist
Tretorn Sweden AB / Box 931 / 251 09 Helsingborg, Sweden
tel +46.42.197148 / fax +46.42.197120 / cell +46.708.196010
mail: joakim.appelqvist@tretorn.se / www.tretorn.com"

charliefedererer
03-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi from the UK

thank you

There have been many threads that I've seen here on TT and all have said that Micro X balls are the best for ball machines. It was what thankfully got me to purchase Micro X balls for my Silent Partner and I have been very pleased. (I assume the trainer just has the green/white outside color difference to emphasize how much spin is generated.) I don't have experience with the Lobster Elite 4, but I suspect the store is handing you a line. Have you contacted Lobster directly?:
General Contact Information
LobsterSports, Inc.
7340 Fulton Ave
North Hollywood, CA 91605

800-210-5992 (Toll-Free)
818-764-6000 (Local and International)
818-764-6061 (FAX)
e-mail for For Troubleshooting Questions Regarding Your LobsterSports Ball Machine:support@lobstersports.com

MonkeyMuggs
03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Aha! I had a feeling those "trainer" balls that Navnut mentioned were DIFFERENT than the Micro X ball that is typically discussed, endorsed and used by many of the members here on TW. I can't remember which website, perhaps Amazon, but I remember seeing these Tretorn Micro X "trainers" and being significantly confused to the point that I had to re-research to make sure that I was buying the "real" or "correct" Micro X's that I needed/wanted for my ball machine. The 2-Tone, alone, is NOT the (trainer) problem. Those "trainers", as indicated by the guy from Tretorn, are different! He can't really knock, or say that one of his products won't work, or only work marginally. Even he, in speaking about the "trainer" balls, prefaced his comments with the word "should" perform the same.

Send em back Navnut! Tretorn and their dealers should clearly specify and delineate the various differences in their line of balls. I'm telling you, I just barely "caught" the difference while ordering. Most dealers and websites don't list or carry these "trainers". Was the price considerably less for the trainers Navnut? From what I remember, the price was only slightly less per bucket. Either way, it still could be that you got a bad bucket Navnut. It happens. Then again, maybe these "trainer" balls are OK!? But I would'nt screw or change what has proven to work and be effective for so many here on this forum. Send em back Navnut.

navnut
03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I wish i had your fire monkey. Sending things back over here isn't very easy when the items have been used plus there is the lobster playin up so i cant definitively put it down to the balls. I paid 150 for 2 buckets of 72 balls, and i dont think they are much cheaper than standard micro x.

Monkeymuggs could you be my personal motivator?

beernutz
03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I wish i had your fire monkey. Sending things back over here isn't very easy when the items have been used plus there is the lobster playin up so i cant definitively put it down to the balls. I paid 150 for 2 buckets of 72 balls, and i dont think they are much cheaper than standard micro x.

Monkeymuggs could you be my personal motivator?

FWIW, you paid for your trainer balls about what I paid for my micro-x balls.

You paid 150 = ~$225 for 144 balls = $1.56/ball.
I paid $153/96 balls = $1.59/ball

navnut
03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah we dont get the best deals over here.

beernutz
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Wow! The "world" is smaller than we imagine.

Beernutz - I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I maybe already have.......with my many posts related to ball machines. I hav'nt technically ordered my ball machine yet. I've got some other questions related to ball machines and tennis (in this area) in general. 15 years ago in Baton Rouge, I think I was rated 4.5 by a pro, which was probably a tad high. I played briefly on a 4.0 team here in Pensacola 8 years ago. Probably a 3.5 now.

Is there a way I can contact you via regular email or phone? Could you shoot me an email at: monkeymuggs@gmail.com

Check your email Muggs.

MonkeyMuggs
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for responding beernutz. I replied back to you. Please see and use my updated email address I attached and included in my email to you.

Thanks again, and Good Luck with your game!

MonkeyMuggs
03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Those "trainer" balls from Micro X appear to be a European, Australian thing.
Google "Micro X Trainer Balls" - and all you get are European/Australian/New Zealand websites and suppliers. I don't know what's going on with those balls. But they are clearly "different", as described/explained by the Tretorn Rep Navnut copied/pasted above.

Navnut - I ain't forgot about you. We're going to return those balls and get your machine fixed. I've been busy. Keep checking. And let us know how the weather and court time is going in England. Any updates on how the machine and/or balls are playing?

navnut
03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Well weather is crap for about 50 weeks of the year. But i have access to indoor courts and am gonna use the ball machine tommorow morning before work (first time since last week). Is there anything you want me to put the machine through or report back on?

MonkeyMuggs
03-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Curious to know about the 3 pre-programmed 6 shot drills. I'm especially curious to know about any SHORT (close to the net) balls that may get tossed from any of those 3 drills, and roughly where those short balls land on the court (for example "service line"). I want to know how short the machine can toss balls/shots. Of course, given that the ball is being "shot" from only about 8" off the court's surface, I don't expect any machine to be able to "hit" a real close drop shot. I also know at very high speeds, it would be almost impossible for any machine to "hit" a short ball. But just a general idea of what type of short balls you can generate or that are generated from the pre-programmed drills.

navnut
03-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Ok i just practiced for 2.5 hours and here is my report.

First of all you can only adjust the feed rate in the pre set drills.
Both power and grinder drills throw the majority of the balls between the service and base line. You get the odd ball that bounces just before the service line and that is not often.
The all courter drill does give you more dispersion and actrually throws short balls. I believe this is because it uses the max topspin (makes itself known by increasing the noise of the machine). These short balls land in the center of the serivce box, but they will not always clear the net. You could fix this by adjusting the test ball mode to throw the ball further but then the short balls would also land further away.
I also tried the depth/horizontal sweep and random. I didn't like the depth mode and balls did not land very short, it was just more service to baseline.
The horizontal mode however was very enjoyable and really gave me a workout. With the pre set drills the machine will rotate to the side where it will fire the ball, pause, and then fire the ball. This gives you time to setup but with horizontal sweep the machine keeps rotating left to right and then suddenly fires the ball giving you less time to react. It really gave me a workout but then i'm out of shape.
In random mode i didn't find that many short balls but i only used it briefly because i got a "BOT SERVE" error on the machine. This means that my throwing wheel(the bottom one) has started to slide so i thought i'd just pack up. I find i get this problem more often when i try using the maximum topspin setting (i havent really used slice).

Hard to tell but the throwing wheel has slid here.
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/no5play/botserveerror.jpg

Again hard to tell but i slid it back inplace.
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/no5play/slidbackinposition.jpg
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/no5play/Image029.jpg
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/no5play/Lobbirdsi.jpg
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/no5play/fulllob.jpg
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/no5play/trainerballs.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos was using my mobile.
I had quite a good time with the machine today i've found the ball placement not really an issue when using sweeps or drills. Its only in manual mode where i am standing in a fixed position expecting the ball in a particular spot only to find it coming right into my body and jamming me up. I guess i could do what the guy inthe FYB clips does and keep moving away and then repostioning towards the ball when is is thrown.
I hope my report helped monkey.

I'm off to work in an hour and will be gone for about 9.5 hours so i expect replies when i return.

bye

navnut
03-11-2010, 03:37 AM
i expect replies when i return.

Or not, didn't mean to sound like a dictator. From tommorow i have six days off maybe there will be some posts in that time. Well i'm off to work again.

MonkeyMuggs
03-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Good report Navnut..........it answered many of my questions. Sounds like your machine and balls are behaving better. Still sounds like you still need to tighten that wheel down though. Got to run now. Will reply more indepth latter.

navnut
03-15-2010, 10:11 AM
hello guys i've just made a short video of my forehand and posted a thread on the tips/instruction section (titled "Navnut's forehand"). I would love it if you could share insight into how i can improve my forehand.

thanks