PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Creating a 2 Day, Low Volume Weight Training Routine

UW_Husky88
01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
The title pretty much says it all. I really want to focus on my cardio conditioning and losing fat, so I don't want to do a ton of weight lifting (just enough to maintain muscle and build raw strength). I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with a 2 day low volume (by that I mean rep range of 3-5, 3 sets per exercise max) that focuses on compound exercises and will help me athletically.

Any ideas? I don't care if its push/pull, upper/lower, or a full body split btw, I just need something.

Itagaki
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.projectswole.com/weight-training/a-3x5-approach-to-strength-training/

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

for the first site there another generic full body workout as well as some articles on the best(according to the guy running the site) for specific exercises, so you can play around with those

i dont know why you're limiting yourself to 3 sets though

chess9
01-06-2010, 04:08 AM
4 sets of squats at 150 to 350 lbs., 20 down to 5 reps.
4 sets of dips at bodyweight x 12 reps.
4 sets of one arm rows at 40 to 90 lbs, 20 down to 8 reps.
4 sets of Captain's Chairs x 50 reps. (Optional, but I do these every time I go to the gym.)
4 sets of Cleans at 50 to 200 lbs, 20 down to 5 reps.

That's what I'd do, or similar, if I just wanted a quick maintenance routine. I'd do this for no longer than 6 weeks before I changed it. But, in six weeks your cardio should be amped.

-Robert

charliefedererer
01-06-2010, 12:29 PM
The only other thing to consider as a tennis player is to add in some exercises to try and avoid injury to the shoulder, elbow and wrist. These joints are subject to a lot of stress as the arm has to decelerate and stop the racquets forward momentum. Considering doing all of these exercises if you want to prevent injury on the tennis court: www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf
The tubing exercises included should also help to increase flexibility and give some rotational core work as well.
Bicycle crunches may be a reasonable core alternative to Captain's Chairs if you don't have access to the Captain's Chair apparatus.
Throwing in some lunges is a good idea to help prevent groin and leg injury.
Finish up your workout with stretching to help maintain flexibility and prevent muscle cramping.

Moz
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
4 sets of squats at 150 to 350 lbs., 20 down to 5 reps.
4 sets of dips at bodyweight x 12 reps.
4 sets of one arm rows at 40 to 90 lbs, 20 down to 8 reps.
4 sets of Captain's Chairs x 50 reps. (Optional, but I do these every time I go to the gym.)
4 sets of Cleans at 50 to 200 lbs, 20 down to 5 reps.

That's what I'd do, or similar, if I just wanted a quick maintenance routine. I'd do this for no longer than 6 weeks before I changed it. But, in six weeks your cardio should be amped.

-Robert

Robert used to be in the navy hence the 50 reps on the captain's chair.

Although I thought it used to be on the captain's lap?

ET Brit
01-07-2010, 07:29 AM
The title pretty much says it all. I really want to focus on my cardio conditioning and losing fat, so I don't want to do a ton of weight lifting (just enough to maintain muscle and build raw strength). I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with a 2 day low volume (by that I mean rep range of 3-5, 3 sets per exercise max) that focuses on compound exercises and will help me athletically.

Any ideas? I don't care if its push/pull, upper/lower, or a full body split btw, I just need something.

Hi UW_Husky88

Others are giving you good advice on weight training, I didn't see a mention of the actual cardio exercise you are doing? Are you doing cardio on a daily basis?

The other important factor which is of vital importance if you want to be a lean mean machine, with that ripped look to die for, is nutrition. I am a great believer in increasing protein and cutting out white stuff - sugar, bread and potatoes. Luckily, New York Cheesecake isn't white. :)

You could be bold and list your daily intake of food, plus your height and weight. You might well get several assessments for free from friends who care!

Cheers - Ann

chess9
01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Robert used to be in the navy hence the 50 reps on the captain's chair.

Although I thought it used to be on the captain's lap?

It was the Marines. You have no idea how badly you blew it! ;)

-Robert

chess9
01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi UW_Husky88

Others are giving you good advice on weight training, I didn't see a mention of the actual cardio exercise you are doing? Are you doing cardio on a daily basis?

The other important factor which is of vital importance if you want to be a lean mean machine, with that ripped look to die for, is nutrition. I am a great believer in increasing protein and cutting out white stuff - sugar, bread and potatoes. Luckily, New York Cheesecake isn't white. :)

You could be bold and list your daily intake of food, plus your height and weight. You might well get several assessments for free from friends who care!

Cheers - Ann

Ann:

Husky is a very strong guy, who is a bit overweight. Getting lifting tips from me is a bit humorous. ;) Anyway, he can probably crush the tennis ball with his fingers....

He probably needs someone to keep him out of some of the food aisles. ;) But, most of the guys who post here are in pretty good shape. Watch for Ano's posts, or do a search on them. He always backs up his posts with science links.

-Robert

ET Brit
01-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Ann:

Husky is a very strong guy, who is a bit overweight. Getting lifting tips from me is a bit humorous. ;) Anyway, he can probably crush the tennis ball with his fingers....

-Robert

Well, RATS, no photographs? who knew? LOL

Thanks for the heads up, Robert.

Cheers - Ann

cncretecwbo
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
since its just 2 days id probably go full body for both. Also, to maintain strength, lower-ish reps is usually best i think, which you already want to do. maybe something like

- a type of squat
- a type of upper body push
- a type of upper body pull
- a type of lower body pull (for lower back and hamstrings)
- maybe some abs stuff

so a sample day could be

squat 3-5x3
press 3-5x5
DB row 3-5x5 ( although i like to go more like 8 reps on these)
romanian deadlift (2-4x6-8)
abs

UW_Husky88
01-09-2010, 09:58 PM
since its just 2 days id probably go full body for both. Also, to maintain strength, lower-ish reps is usually best i think, which you already want to do. maybe something like

- a type of squat
- a type of upper body push
- a type of upper body pull
- a type of lower body pull (for lower back and hamstrings)
- maybe some abs stuff

so a sample day could be

squat 3-5x3
press 3-5x5
DB row 3-5x5 ( although i like to go more like 8 reps on these)
romanian deadlift (2-4x6-8)
abs

Yeah, that looks like something similar to rippetoes. I guess that's probably the best option.

The only thing is, wouldn't squatting and doing RDLs be very taxing to do on the same day? Plus, I'd probably have to repeat some leg movement (either a squat variant or deadlift), which are very taxing on the CNS, so I'm wondering how easy it will be to recover for the next workout, especially if I'll be playing tennis or doing other cardio on non-lifting days. The fact that you're using a ton of weight will probably make it even more difficult.

Has anyone had experience with doing really heavy weight and recovering? Obviously, it will be tough at first, but do you get used to it soon enough? How does low volume/high weight compare with low weight/high volume in terms of recovery?

cncretecwbo
01-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, that looks like something similar to rippetoes. I guess that's probably the best option.

The only thing is, wouldn't squatting and doing RDLs be very taxing to do on the same day? Plus, I'd probably have to repeat some leg movement (either a squat variant or deadlift), which are very taxing on the CNS, so I'm wondering how easy it will be to recover for the next workout, especially if I'll be playing tennis or doing other cardio on non-lifting days. The fact that you're using a ton of weight will probably make it even more difficult.

Has anyone had experience with doing really heavy weight and recovering? Obviously, it will be tough at first, but do you get used to it soon enough? How does low volume/high weight compare with low weight/high volume in terms of recovery?

Whats "really heavy" Ive done some heavy weightlifting (powerlifting stuff like above and olympic stuff too) 3 or so days a week with tennis 5 or so days a week and i feel okay. But i think 2 days would work okay since i never felt like i got much stronger and always needed the entire weekend to recover.

but you should be okay with it as long as you know when you can push yourself and when to dial it back a bit.

Kobble
01-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Try Jim Wendler 5/3/1.

T Woody
01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
If you're looking to gain strength slightly (or maintain) and improve conditioning at the same time, 2 days per week is probably doable. Right now I'm doing a three day, but if I were to do two days it would look like this:

Workout A:
Back Squat 5x3 (3 sets of 5)
Bench Press 5x3
Weighted Chins 5x3
Ab strength (leg raises, barbell rollouts, or weighted sit ups)

Workout B
Back Squat 5x3
Overhead Press 5x3
Deadlift/Power Clean (alternate each week)
Ab strength

Depending on your strength levels, you should be able to add a little bit of weight to the bar each week if you're eating enough and recovering well. If you have trouble recovering from back squats, you could either front squat or box squat a bit lighter on the second day. I think doing a program this simple is the absolute best way to build strength and maintain it, but a lot of people either get bored with it or are afraid of hurting themselves by doing the exercises wrong. I also like training like this (no high rep sets) while playing tennis or building conditioning because sets across of 5 reps don't take you to muscular failure. So even after one of those workouts, you can still go out and hit balls or play a few sets the following day.