PDA

View Full Version : Losing strength?

trenzterra
01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Previously I was studying for a major exam and I abstained from tennis for about two months.

When I returned however I find that my performance would fall after like ten to twenty minutes of hitting.

The problem is that I feel weaker now when wielding my racquet after a while and can feel the lactic buildup in my wrist. It is as if the racquet is now too heavy for me. And when I try compensating this 'weakness' by increasing my swingspeed, I start swinging out or shanking.

Is there any way to get back the strength that I've lost? What exercises are recommended? My racquet isn't heavy at all, at 11oz and its frustrating that my level of play drops after a while.

Mahboob Khan
01-06-2010, 05:31 AM
It is quite simple. You lost cardiovascular and muscular endurance that's why there is onset of lactic acid bit quicker than before. You may like to do the following:

Day 1: After tennis. Running for 30 minutes for cardiovascular strength (stamina).

Day 2: After tennis. Gym training for muscular endurance.
Day 3: After tennis. Running for 30 minutes
Day 4: After tennis. Gym training for muscular endurance
Day 5: After tennis. Running for 30 minutes
Day 6: After tennis. Gym training for muscular endurance
Day 7: Rest

In four weeks you will be better than before.

After four weeks, for the next four weeks:

Day 1: After tennis. Short sprints/oncourt movements for 15 minutes.

Day 2: After tennis. Gym training for muscular strength.
Day 3: After tennis. Short sprints/oncourt movements
Day 4: After tennis. Gym training for muscular strength
Day 5: After tennis. Short sprints/oncourt movements
Day 6: After tennis. Gym training for muscular strength
Day 7: Rest.

As you move forward you will know your body and be able to modify the program accordingly.

There are also hundreds of racket and ball oncourt drills which will help your technique and your oncourt endurance.

Hard work is the key. Are you upto?

OrangeOne
01-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Use it or lose it.... is the basic rule. Train up to the way you used to play and you'll get back there.

I'd suggest the 6-day on 1 day off program from the poster above is only for the previously very fit. I'd modify it to a rest day every 1 to 3 days for the average population.

charliefedererer
01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Previously I was studying for a major exam and I abstained from tennis for about two months.

When I returned however I find that my performance would fall after like ten to twenty minutes of hitting.

The problem is that I feel weaker now when wielding my racquet after a while and can feel the lactic buildup in my wrist. It is as if the racquet is now too heavy for me. And when I try compensating this 'weakness' by increasing my swingspeed, I start swinging out or shanking.

Is there any way to get back the strength that I've lost? What exercises are recommended? My racquet isn't heavy at all, at 11oz and its frustrating that my level of play drops after a while.

Try these exercises, not only now to regain your strength, but continue doing them long term to avoid the all too common elbow, shoulder and wrist problems that are epidemic among tennis players: www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf

You can get the dumbells and tubing at any sporting goods store, but you'll find the best prices at Walma*t.

Print the following and bring it to the store:
http://www.asmi.org/SportsMed/throwing/thrower10.PDF

Buy the dumbell weights that will let you do 5 reps in the store for each of the exercises. (You shouldn'g need to buy more than three dumbells, maybe only 2.) Buy the heavyest strength tubing they sell.

Don't skimp on the wrist exercises. They seem wimpy, but will help prevent wrist and elbow problems.

If you want two more good pieces of inexpensive equipment, consider getting a flexbar blue (heavy) and a hand/wrist gripper:
http://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Thera-Band-Flexbar-Hand-Exerciser/dp/B000WBK9Q2
http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Exerciser-Tension-9-Pounds-Finger/dp/B0006GCBL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1262795335&sr=1-1

Do at least three sets of all the exercise each day, or at least three times a week if you don't have the time or are playing a lot of tennis in addition.

The purpose of these exercises is to strengthen not only the muscles we use to hit the ball, but just as importantly, the muscles that we use to decelerate the racquet. These deceleration muscles never get as strong as the hitting muscles, and so transfer way too much force to the ligaments and tendons of the joints. That repeated trauma at the joints is why so many players end up with elbow, shoulder and wrist overuse injuries.

In the future, if you want to keep getting stronger, buy slightly heavier dumbells so your muscles will be working against increased resistance, again trying the dumbell out in the store so that you can buy the heaviest one that will let you do about five reps.