PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Channel accuses Comcast of discrimination

Nuke
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
The Tennis Channel has filed a complaint with federal regulators accusing Comcast of discriminating against its programming.

The Tennis Channel alleges that Comcast isolates the network on a premium sports tier that reaches only a small fraction of subscribers, even as it carries Comcast-owned networks such as the Golf Channel and Versus on basic tiers that reach many more customers.

See http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100106/ap_on_sp_ot/us_tec_tennis_channel_comcast

I have Time Warner Cable, and I'm in the same boat -- Golf Channel and Versus are "basic cable" satations, but Tennis Channel is on a more expensive tier.

Kevin T
01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
See http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100106/ap_on_sp_ot/us_tec_tennis_channel_comcast

I have Time Warner Cable, and I'm in the same boat -- Golf Channel and Versus are "basic cable" satations, but Tennis Channel is on a more expensive tier.

Do yourself a favor and get DirecTV. After my last experience with Comcast, I swore I'd never use them again if I moved back to an area they dominated. I couldn't be happier with DirecTV.

jrod
01-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Do yourself a favor and get DirecTV. After my last experience with Comcast, I swore I'd never use them again if I moved back to an area they dominated. I couldn't be happier with DirecTV.

One small problem with DirecTV....internet access. Broadband demands either dsl, cable or fiber. Wireless is fine if your alternative is dial. DirecTV may have better programming and a better pricing structure, but without bundling in a broadband connection it's too expensive to justify by itself.

As for Comcast and it's apparent "discriminatory" behavior, as long as they are abiding by the contract they have with TC I don't see TC prevailing here. Comcast plays all sorts of pricing games that are completely legal and suck for the customer. The only time the gov steps in is when you have predatory behavior, anti-competitive issues or something along those lines. Tiered pricing? Not gonna get very far with that....the TC should get better lawyers cause they are wasting their $.

mikeler
01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I kept my RoadRunner internet service here in Central Florida but got rid of the Brighthouse cable. I pay an additional $5/month now for internet. DirectTV is superior to cable in a number of ways and a must have for the multiple court Grand Slam coverage.

jrod
01-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I kept my RoadRunner internet service here in Central Florida but got rid of the Brighthouse cable. I pay an additional $5/month now for internet. DirectTV is superior to cable in a number of ways and a must have for the multiple court Grand Slam coverage.

mikeler - What is your total monthly bill including RR internet plus DirecTV?

mikeler
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
mikeler - What is your total monthly bill including RR internet plus DirecTV?

I was paying $40/month + fees and taxes for internet. Now that is $45/month + fees and taxes for internet. My DirecTV is $103, see below for the breakdown. I have 3 receivers and the HD package, so that adds some cost.

Current Charges for Service Period 01/04/10 - 02/03/10
PLUS HD DVR Monthly 75.99
DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK Monthly 4.99
DIRECTV DVR Service $6.00/mo Included in Base Pkg 0.00
Leased Receiver 5.00
Leased Receiver 5.00
Primary Leased Receiver 5.00
Primary Leased Receiver -5.00 Credit
Sales Tax 0.66
Communications Service Tax 11.33

Kevin T
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
One small problem with DirecTV....internet access. Broadband demands either dsl, cable or fiber. Wireless is fine if your alternative is dial. DirecTV may have better programming and a better pricing structure, but without bundling in a broadband connection it's too expensive to justify by itself.

As for Comcast and it's apparent "discriminatory" behavior, as long as they are abiding by the contract they have with TC I don't see TC prevailing here. Comcast plays all sorts of pricing games that are completely legal and suck for the customer. The only time the gov steps in is when you have predatory behavior, anti-competitive issues or something along those lines. Tiered pricing? Not gonna get very far with that....the TC should get better lawyers cause they are wasting their $.

No problem for me. Even buying Comcast broadband separate+DirecTV is cheaper for me. Set-up for me was free. I have 2 HD DVR receivers, Tennis Channel+all the channels and then some I was getting with Comcast. My bill will be ~$61/month for one year, then jump to ~$77 the next year. My Comcast Internet bill is $42/month x 6 months, then bumps to $60. So $121/month after 6 months, then $137/month after 12 months.

To get the same channels+Internet, Comcast would be $115/month x 6 months, then jump to $130/month. So, the price is pretty similar but I get more channels+far, far superior service and more HD with DirecTv. Plus, the sports programming blows Comcast away and I get XM radio with DirecTv.

Oh, I also got a $100 gift card for signing up, so it's like getting a month for free. They also call me/email me every couple of weeks to see how things are going. And I get an actual English-speaking human on the phone (quickly) when I call customer service.

mikeler
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
jrod,

I think Kevin summed it up best. You won't see a cost savings, but you will see a value savings because it is superior. I switched 1.5 years ago after all my co-workers kept telling me how bad cable is. Now that I've switched, I get it.

raiden031
01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I have Verizon FIOS and I had to subscribe to a premium Sports Package for $7/month in order to get the Tennis Channel. I guess Comcast gives away the Golf channel to everyone, but Verizon doesn't? Anyone know?

mikeler
01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I have Verizon FIOS and I had to subscribe to a premium Sports Package for $7/month in order to get the Tennis Channel. I guess Comcast gives away the Golf channel to everyone, but Verizon doesn't? Anyone know?

How fast is the legendary FIOS?

raiden031
01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
How fast is the legendary FIOS?

I honestly don't know...I have no complaints on the speed though.

jrod
01-06-2010, 04:22 PM
jrod,

I think Kevin summed it up best. You won't see a cost savings, but you will see a value savings because it is superior. I switched 1.5 years ago after all my co-workers kept telling me how bad cable is. Now that I've switched, I get it.

You guys are making a compelling argument...I need to do some research.

StuckInMalibu
01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Are there any foreseeable fee increases for the companies you guys mentioned? I'm on TimeWarner and ready to jump ship. They already increased my bill by $3 a month (+ $36 a year) and that was before they colluded with Fox to jack up the fees.

Kevin T
01-07-2010, 07:35 AM

Jrod,

The deal I got is still going on. Believe it or not, I got an even better deal through work (crazy, huh). Just go on their website and look at the packages-free set up and still offering a $100 gift/check card. I've been VERY satisfied. My bro has FIOS (also works for Verizon) and loves it but it's not available in my area. The only cable company I've ever been satisfied with is Cox but they're also not in my area at the moment.

mikeler
01-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Do your research quick so you can be up and running with those 6 live feeds of the Australian Open!

plumcrazy
01-08-2010, 07:29 AM
I have Time Warner basic cable and was going to upgrade to digital cable the other day to get the Tennis Channel. She was telling me all the new channels I would get. Then I asked if I got the Tennis Channel. She said that was another $5.95 per month for the sports package. I know $5.95 isn't a lot but it was $20 to upgrade and I didn't want to spend anymore. It's stupid how hard and expensive it is to watch tennis on TV. And I don't get how we get The Golf Channel on BASIC cable.